NGX and Simconnect

I posted this on the NGX forum today. Everyone seems to think it is an issue with the NGX, which I am not so sure it is. This is what I posted:

"It has been happening before the NGX was released. I have been using EFB for over 6 months, and the AI would slowly disappear over time. It did this with the MD11 and the other 737. It is a simconnect issue, and unless you can make simconnect able to take more requests than just weather, it will continue to bust it's pipe so to speak. When EFB is requesting , UT2 sometimes will spit the dummy and depart from FSX, then it is a case of Cntrl-shift-R to bring it back on line. I use via network, ASE, FSC9, RC4, EFB. (Wide FS required for FSC9 and RC4)"

So how is it possible that the NGX causes AI aircraft to fall off the Dispaly unit, when it has been happening for quite some time. I posted about this in April or May, on this very forum.

Posted about this here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=535

Guest William

The 'Too many requests' has I believe been solved with Service Pack 4.

Regarding AI dropping off is this using Ultimate Traffic (or similar) or flying online? The problem many (including me) are having is not seeing the online traffic when flying the PMDG NGX. With other aircraft it seems to be no problem.

As far as I understand the end cause of the trouble is entirely the NGX. I believe that it causes havoc with SimConnect, what EFB SP4 does is suppress the error messages that are listed, but it still doesn't show online or AI traffic properly.

Sadly, I don't think that it's something that Urs can fix in the EFB programming and we'll have to wait on PMDG to sort the SimConnect issue. - I might be wrong though. Urs can you confirm?

Jack

As Jack has mentioned above this isn't an EFB issue, it's an issue with the PMDG NGX flooding the Simconnect interface with too many actions/requests and this causes other programs that are trying to share Simconnect bandwidth to not work properly either. There is absolutely nothing that Urs can do about this.

Unfortunately there is no person available who could really clarify the situation concerning the SimConnect interface so also my findings are just guesses and they are not proven.

Under certain circumstances SimConnect throws the error message "Too many requests". In my opinion this happens when there is a certain number of add-ons which are all requesting a lot of data from SimConnect and Simconnect cannot handle all the requests anymore. Most probably the NGX is a greedy add-on and therefore the exception is thrown more often than before. As already said, it's just a guess. Maybe reducing the number of simultaneously running add-ons could help to solve this issue?

... hastily adding that no one add-on has yet been singled out as "more greedy" than another.

Of course I could solve that by writing the Utmost Greediest Add-On Ever - something that asks every other SimConnected client the Ultimate Question every threaded cycle:

"Are we there yet?"

:lol:

Ok I think I understand most of the above - it is all PMDG,s fault etc - but if that is the case why is Flightsim Commander not effected? No problems with getting traffic on its moving map when flying the NGX.

Bruceb

That's definitely NOT what I said in my post. It's not PMDG's problem! It's the problem that SimConnect obviously gets confused if there are a lot of (... too many) requests.

Hi Urs,

I would like to know who (what add-on company) we need to contact to get this issue resolved since we have established that the issue is not EFB related or NGX related. I'm getting shoved off saying that i'm on the wrong forum (avsim) and so forth.

I simply dont know where to turn anymore. Since EFB is my all time favorite add-on (I dont fly without it), It would be great if it worked with the NGX just as good as with the LevelD 767 just to give an example.

Any input on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Chris Verner

The NGX definitely does something unusual with simconnect, but PMDG isn't saying what or why. There is obviously a lot of clever programming in that product, and unfortunately it seems that at least one of their programming tricks makes it hard to coexist with for other simconnect users.

Since the Aces team isn't around anymore, a solution would have to come from either Aivlasoft or PMDG. I don't know how likely that is - it might prove difficult or impossible to fix this.

Hi

Maybe I can help I don't know, but I will tell you my story. Since I purchased the PMDG NGX I was having nothing but CTD's. It didnt matter if I flew online, offline with EFB or without.

Very frustrating, i started using the event viewer and found that a number of appcrashes where appearing, some connected with mcovr blah blah dll, (or whatever it was called) I found that dot net 4 was getting corrupted and even c++ redistrabutables where being corrupted.

It took sometime to realise that different developers use different versions of the microsoft c++ redistrubutable files from 2003 upto 2010 versions and you probably require all the different versions on your machine as there is no standardisation between developers.

Even with fixing all of this I was still getting CTD's and like many others seeing no traffic in EFB. The really curious thing was that this particular problem was now effecting all my aircraft and EFB.

On one particular crash I checked the event viewer and it threw up a dll file as being the culprit, this particular dll belongiing to Norton anti virus.

What, I haven't got that pile of rubbish on my machine, whats happening. After doing a search it transpired that I had a free 30 day version of Norton AV lurking on my PC ready and waiting to be activated. Ok lets get rid of that.

I couldnt delete it, I tried using undelete, I tried using the control panel way of deleting programs, that wouldnt work, Google provided the answer, I needed a third party undeleter. I downloaded one from www.Snapfiles.com and set it to work.

It found countless mentions of that damned Norton poodoo all over my registry. I couldn't believe it, I hadnt even installed the thing and it was lurking all over my machine. Ok time to get rid, the third party cleaner did the trick and got rid.

Reboot,

Loaded FSX EFB and the PMDG NGX and bingo, it worked, I could see traffic in EFB. I did a flight and no crash. woohoo. I have flown a lot since that day last week, long flights short flights all PMDG aircraft that I own, the lvld 767 and the Ifly 737, not a problem no ctd and efb works.

Now I dont no if this tale helps but I would say use your event viewer track down every error using google and perservere in trying to fix things.

One thing I found out about during all this work is a little known app inside Windows 7, type in your search bar - "reliab" without the qoutation marks you will be surprised at what pops up.

Wycliffe

Guest William

All very enlightening Wycliffe and well worked out.

For those of us who do not have the same skills as you are you able to give the name of the norton file that was deleted and the program that did it. At the moment I have deleted the PMDG NGX off my machine as EFB is far more important to me than their NGX. I am now using the iFly which, although nowhere near as comprehensive is still a nice product. I would like to be able to use both.

HI

The dll was util.dll, this is not an unusual name for a dll but this particular one was identified by event viewer as belonging to Norton Anti Virus.

The undeleter that I downloaded from Snapfiles is called REVO uninstaller and is from the freeware section of snapfiles.

@chris 198, I have started all my addons in all sorts of different orders but normally the best way is

Active Sky evolution then click on the FSX button in ACTIVE Sky. Then EFB data provider on the FSX PC, then EFB display unit on the remote PC, then Fsinn on the remote PC.

Wycliffe

I am not up to speed on the NGX and traffic display issue. I downloaded and installed SP4.

Last during during a flight, I showed traffic at every gate while on the ground. I thought that was kind of strange. I turned of the AI program but that did not solve that problem. I had a friend behind me on the taxi way and he did not show on the map. Once in the air, the VATSIM traffic was not displayed.

I do not have the AI traffic box checked, only VATSIM.

Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

An update just in case you havent seen any of my other posts. Whilst my sim is working fine and I have not had any ctd's, I dont see any traffic anywhere. I might see a little traffic on the ground if I am lucky but as soon as I get airborne it will all disappear. This is the simconnect issue that PMDG says is nothing to do with the development of the NGX.

I beg to differ as the issue wasnt there before I bought it.

Wycliffe

• 3 weeks later...

I was using UT2 and receiving the same loss of traffic in EFB as reported by other users, when flying the 737NGX.

Just recently I uninstalled UT2 and went back to MTX5.3b. AI traffic is now displaying correctly in EFB throughout the entire flight. I have conducted about six flights using MTX3b and EFB has performed flawlessly.

One further note: I tested the 737NGX, UT2 and EFB in the Prepar3d program and again EFB displayed the AI correctly throughout the entire flight.

Hello everybody,

One suggestion :

For those who have the problem with the PMDG 737 NGX have you already tried this suggestion :

Run data provider AND display unit on the PC running FSX and then run the display unit on your other network PC. Stay running the two (or more) display unit during your flight and check if you see the traffic on your network display unit.

My 2cts and Regards,

Marc

"Stay running the two (or more) display unit during your flight and check if you see the traffic on your network display unit"

I confirm I can see all the traffic (IVAO online+FSX/AI) on both Pcs running the DU.

The AI traffic is displayed all the time, but the online traffic is only displayed when it's very close to my current position and for a short period of time despite my EFB settings (distance NM 0= max distance ; +- 10.000ft) ???

Any idea Urs ??

Could it be some wrong Ivap v2 settings ? I don't see what could be wrong with Ivap v2 config