Vertx DA62 and DIR TO

RayProudfoot

Hi gents, hope everyone is keeping well. I'm running P3D v4.5 and recently added the Vertx Diamond DA62 to my fleet. Lovely aircraft with a full G1000 cockpit.

Its autopilot reads the P3D flight plan when activated by EFB and if I add a SID and STAR those are also included. All good so far.

The problem appears when I'm airborne and need to make a change to the plan. I do that via EFB and if it requires a change of active waypoint I select DIR TO. Doing that causes a change of the active waypoint in the DA62 to the waypoint immediately preceeding the destination airport.

To correct this problem I have to bring up the GPS1000 plan and reselect the original active waypoint. If I do the same action with other aircraft such as the PMDG737 or a Carenado PC12 this doesn't happen. I'm unsure if it's a problem with the DA62 or EFB.

Does anyone else who has this aircraft have this problem and if so, how best to handle it.

• 1 month later...

I have the aircraft but haven't flown it in a long time. Flying XP and 2020. My SOP for changing the FP while flying is, center the heading bug, go to heading, update, check the FP,select the correct waypoint and go back to GPS/Nav.  But I'll give it a try soon and let you know if I duplicate the problem.

OK, I just tried you issue and found no problem with using either the EFB DIR TO or the Da-62 G1000 Direct to key.

Both took the change correctly and the aircraft followed.

Is this with any route/flight plan or a specific one?

Can you correctly activate another way point from the flight plan?

I've certainly changed STAR's when ATC (Vatsim) has issued a change en-route but I always use the sync heading hold procedure I said above.

Maybe its the Da-62, I know I had sound issues with it, that eventually cleared.

good luck

Ron

@rwilson881, thanks for reporting back Ron. I wonder if a different sim is the reason you haven’t had the problem. It seems unlikely as the code in the Vertx DA62 should be the same for all sims.

It’s with all plans when I’m required to make a change to the plan usually because of a different STAR. I’m still learning the techniques with the DA62 so maybe as I get more familiar I’ll feel more in control.

I’ll try your method and see how I get on.

Hi Ron,

I tried a short flight from GCLA to GCTS. Here's the routing. More or less a straight line until the TFS VOR.

ARACO DCT GANTA DCT BAMEL DCT TFS

With the autopilot in NAV mode and inbound to GANTA I selected Direct To BAMEL in EFB and it worked perfectly. Did the same in HDG mode and switching back to NAV mode it was also fine. I need to load a more complex plan with a change of STAR and see what happens then. But for now, I have your suggested settings which are working, thanks.

Ray

Good to hear that it's working. I fly mostly in the US, but I'm sure you've flown some intricate STAR's in the EU. I know I did into Amsterdam a couple of times. ;-)

IMHO, I've found that most of the FMS's (G1000, FMC,....) seem to be buggy when trying to change something on the fly.

The EFB has saved me a bunch of times after a change to the plan if only to give me the correct heading to fly while I update the FMS.

I now find I cant fly most planes without it up on my other monitor.

Enjoy

Ron

Hi Ron. It works with simple plans but falls apart when a arrival procedure is chosen and executed in EFB. The active waypoint in the DA62 changes to the final waypoint before the destination airport. The previously active one and all subsequent ones just disappear from the plan.

I need to try this in HDG mode and see what happens. Strange because all EFB is doing is updating the P3D flight plan. But something about it is not liked by the DA62 G1000.

Ray,

I quickly launched from Bradley airport filed to KBOS, climbed to 11k. had a Robuc STAR entered and then changed to the JFUND2 Star different runway. it took it perfectly.

I then did a direct to JFUND it followed that. So I then changed back to the ROBUC3 Star into 33L at Boston and it changed the plan and directed me to RUIZE with no problem. EFB did say it couldn't calculate the vertical because I was lower than STARs expected but other than that, a perfect change.

I wonder if you need to reload the plane?????.

Good luck

BTW, I forgot how easy and nice this plane is to fly. Need to do more GA flying. Been doing corporate jets for awhile now.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I filed a plan from KBDL to KBOS. Cruise at 13,000ft. STAR was ROBUC3 into 27. A few miles from ORW I changed it to JFUND2 for the same runway. When I updated it in EFB I had changed to HDG mode. I could see the plan updated over to the right.

A couple of miles later and still before ORW (which was the active waypoint) I reverted to ROBUC3. The active waypoint was changed to ROBUC but I hadn't passed ORW. Still in HDG mode. So I carried on to ORW and just before reaching it switched back to NAV mode. The aircraft turned left towards ROBUC.

Things seem okay. I think I will use your technique of switching to NAV mode before any changes to the plan. It allows me to keep control. Strange how I've had the problem of sections of my arrival being removed. I'll keep an eye on it but for now I have a procedure that works.

Many thanks.