Dhaka Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport has changed name and ICAO

As part of my world tour I planned a flight from Mandalay, Burma to Dhaka, Bangladesh today. EFB didn't recognise the ICAO generated by PFPX of VGHS. I did a search in the EFB database and found the only entry for Dhaka is VGZR - Zia Intl. Active Sky also shows it as VGHS.

I use Navigraph for both products so it's strange that they conflict over the name and ICAO of the main airport. Thoughts?

Hi Ray,

There still seems to be a large misunderstanding about the airport database in EFB2. EFB2 can only build a database on the content of the respective Simulator. If the Airport in question is not contained in the Simulator, EFB2 cannot include it in its datadase. The NavDataPro or Navigraph databases only supply procedure for these airports, and I bet there are no procedures available for VGZR, as this airport does not exist anymore in neither NavDataPro nor Navigraph.

So in short: if the database (default I guess) of your simulator still contains VGZR, then of course EFB2 reads this data. As VGZR does not exist anymore in the worldwide database of Navigraph and NavdataPro, consequently there will be no procedures available. To have VGHS in your database, you will need an AddOn of any kind to provide airport layout and airport navdata (ILS). There's no way around. it's just one of these restrictions set by the way MS-Based simulators handles airports and it's navaids.

Hi Oskar,

I asked because I wasn't sure which ICAO is the current one. It appears EFB is using the older one since it reads BGL files. But when it comes to ILSs etc you use real world ones, not those in the sim.

Since I can't change the default ICAO without buying ADE Pro I'll work around the problem for my departure. After that I guess I'll never visit Dhaka again.

1 hour ago, RayProudfoot said:

...I asked because I wasn't sure which ICAO is the current one. It appears EFB is using the older one since it reads BGL files. But when it comes to ILSs etc you use real world ones, not those in the sim...

Not true either😀... EFB2 is using what the Sim offers. As for the ILS it only CHECKS whether the correct one is supplied by the Sim and eventually reports an error. You can NEVER tune any Navaid which is only available in NavDataPro or Navigraph. It MUST be included in a BGL, either AddOn or Default. We can't change this. It's hard-coded in all MS-Based Sims.

BTW, you are still on P3DV3, aren't you? From P3DV4 onwards VGHS would be included...😉That's at least what I see on my installs.

14 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

Not true either😀... EFB2 is using what the Sim offers. As for the ILS it only CHECKS whether the correct one is supplied by the Sim and eventually reports an error. You can NEVER tune any Navaid which is only available in NavDataPro or Navigraph. It MUST be included in a BGL, either AddOn or Default. We can't change this. It's hard-coded in all MS-Based Sims.

BTW, you are still on P3DV3, aren't you? From P3DV4 onwards VGHS would be included...😉That's at least what I see on my installs.

Yes, I understand I cannot tune an ILS that doesn’t exist in the sim. I run both v3 (for Concorde) and v4 for everything else. Makes it more complicated as I have to keep two record sets up to date.

Do LM ever update airport ICAO and names with a point update or only on a major release? When I eventually move to v5 you would hope all airports would be correct at time of release.

Whats VGHS?

21 minutes ago, RayProudfoot said:

Do LM ever update airport ICAO and names with a point update or only on a major release? When I eventually move to v5 you would hope all airports would be correct at time of release.

Whats VGHS?

They do, but I wouldn't count on 100% correctness. There is no information about the actual state. One can just guess.

VGHS = Dhaka, Hazrat Shahjalal Intl. Airport. I think that's what the whole thread is all about...🙂 See the screenshof below. That's where it is in P3DV4.

VGHS.png.3569f659e73a5c2f9878e0ae52ee31ad.png

10 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

They do, but I wouldn't count on 100% correctness. There is no information about the actual state. One can just guess.

VGHS = Dhaka, Hazrat Shahjalal Intl. Airport. I think that's what the whole thread is all about...🙂 See the screenshof below. That's where it is in P3DV4.

Sorry Oskar, me having a senior moment. 🙁

I think its its worth investing in a licence for ADE so I can change the ICAO and airport name. It’s reasonable enough.

15 minutes ago, RayProudfoot said:

Sorry Oskar, me having a senior moment. 🙁

I think its its worth investing in a licence for ADE so I can change the ICAO and airport name. It’s reasonable enough.

Well, before investing your money I would just give it a try and copy the above mentioned "APX72230.bgl" from P3DV4 into the respective path in P3DV3. To be honest, I never tried ist but AFAIK there were no scenery specs changed between V3 and V4. So it MIGHT work but no guarantee. I have no clue whether there is a verification code included in those default BGLs... Just make sure you don't overwrite the old "APX72230.bgl" but save it to a secure place or set it to "OFF" before and then re-run den DbBuilder. If P3DV3 starts up normally after that it could work. Otherwise just restore the old BGL and you're back to nomal.

13 minutes ago, RayProudfoot said:

Oskar, I was using v4, not v3. I only fly to around a dozen airports in v3 with Concorde and they’re fine. It’s v4 where the ICAO needs changing. I assume the airport in v3 would have the same ICAO.

Ohh, I  see. That's somewhat strange then ! In my V4 install I see the correct ICAO code VGHS ! (see above screenshot) Did you ever apply SORS' Navaid Update? Maybe this update also changes the ICAO Code? Other than that I have no explanation. I See only the correct VGHS ICAO code in V4. The old VGZR is not in my V4.

7 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

Ohh, I  see. That's somewhat strange then ! In my V4 install I see the correct ICAO code VGHS ! (see above screenshot) Did you ever apply SORS' Navaid Update? Maybe this update also changes the ICAO Code? Other than that I have no explanation. I See only the correct VGHS ICAO code in V4. The old VGZR is not in my V4.

I haven’t checked the ICAO and airport name in v4 itself. It was after I created a plan in PFPX and exported it the problem began.

EFB v2 didn’t recognise VGHS as a valid ICAO so wouldn’t load the plan. I edited it with Notepad++ and changed the destination ICAO to VGZR after searching the airports in EFB for Dhaka. It then happily accepted it. I’ll check tomorrow what I have and report back.

No, never applied SORS update. Wouldn't know where to get it. More tomorrow. 👍

Mornin' Oskar,

Thanks for the link to that source. If you have used the data in that it probably explains why our two P3D v4.5 installs differ. I have checked Dhakar in both P3D v3 and v4 and both show the main airport in Dhaka as VGZR.

This confirms it. What I cannot work out is we have exactly the same file. How can that happen? Unless yours has been replaced by that external data you subscribe to. Not only has the ICAO changed, the airport name has too.

Active Sky P3Dv4 is interesting. It displays wx for both ICAOs and for VGZR states "shared by duplicate station VGHS". Ditto for VGHS. There seems to be some confusion with this airport having two ICAOs.

VGZR.jpg

Simply put: the update with the new ICAO Code does not happen with the regular worldwide SORS Navaid update, but with the regional (or in this case worldwide) ILS updates. With the regular navaid update only European ILS' are update. For the rest fo the world the worlwide ILS update is required. See below:

Sors_01.png.32abf6b0f144ea83b58b1f61fa0861a4.png

The updated airport ICAO is in this replacement BHL:

SORS_02.png.a4449a3172191f4b9ababafaa2de9c01.png

I checked the price of the Pro version of ADE and it's $10. Very reasonable. That version allows you to change / move airports including ICAO and name.

Who knows what I'll be using for my next world tour. Concorde maybe! 😁

I thought that site you pointed me to was payware. Seemingly not. I just downloaded the world update. Bit late for Dhakar but I'll use that instead of ADE.

Given how useful sites like that are why don't you give it more prominence on the forum? Maybe a Useful Software link. 😉

Well, we have a link posted here: https://forum.aivlasoft.com/topic/4264-why-are-ils-approaches-not-showing/ Usually those problems are linked to phsically existing navaids (mostly ILS') which unfortunately give more and more problems in all MS-based simulators. So far I wouldn't know of any other important software dealing with similar EFB2 issues.

As my problem didn't involve ILSs I wouldn't have looked at that topic. Maybe a para dealing with clashing ICAO names for airports? Far less frequent I grant you.

But fair enough. You're the best judges of what's best.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:53 PM, lonewulf47 said:

Hi Oskar, hi Ray,

just saw this thread and wanted to let you know, that LM did update the airport database in P3D V5 for the first time.

There was no update to the original FSX-database from P3D V1 to V4.

Unfortunately the P3D V5 database is already outdated again, because the database used is from the year 2017 (don't know the exact cycle). 

I guess that was the time when developement started and because they did not do a lot of changes to the BGL-format (despite the sloped runways), there is still no "easy" way to update these data more frequently (thinking of a database or similar).

Also Hervé Sors will not provide updated BGL-files for V5 due to copyright reasons 🙁 So one has to use his AIE-tool (airport inspector) to find discrepancies and perform the updates manually.

But for your information, Dhaka has been updated in Stock P3D V5 😉

To: VGHS - Hazrat Shahjalal Intl - Dhaka

I contributed to a topic in the ORBX-forum regarding changed ICAO-codes from V4 to V5 (included some csv-lists there), so if your are interested you can find it here: Link

Cheers!

Marc

Hi Marc,

I have no immediate plans for v5 but will get it eventually I'm sure. That's a nice piece of work you've done there. 👍  Strange copyright has become an issue for v5 when it never was previously. He's a very clever chap to create these tools that can edit BGLs especially the airport ICAO and name.

Thank you for the info and the link. 👏

2 hours ago, mischung said:

Also Hervé Sors will not provide updated BGL-files for V5 due to copyright reasons 🙁 So one has to use his AIE-tool (airport inspector) to find discrepancies and perform the updates manually.

Well, not quite most recent status anymore. With the latest cycle 2006 even P3DV5 NVX***.BGL were updated. My guess is however that possibly no ILS'es were updated because of some major changes within the airport (APX***.BGL) layout due to the sloped RWY feature used in P3DV5. Whether or not copyright issues will play a role in the new game is beyond my knowledge. In any case new airport BGLs (AFCAD) can still be produced with ADE Version 179 ff and activated in a common scenery folder. The problem of changed ICAO IDs is however completely different and needs some more considerations inorder to be solved. But nevertheless nothing is impossible...😀 Just in case I have a few ideas should any such problem arise...