Jump to content
RayProudfoot

Lima, Peru airport ICAO change?

Recommended Posts

This is a new one for me. As part of my world tour I setup a flight to Lima, Peru this morning. PFPX reports the ICAO as SPJC but when I tried to import the route into EFB it said that ICAO didn't exist. A check of the airport name revealed it as SPIM. I modified the plan and it was loaded okay. PFPX reports it as JORGE CHAVEZ INTL.

 

I subscribe to Navigraph and both sets of data are running 2001-R1. Why would this mismatch happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, RayProudfoot said:

This is a new one for me. As part of my world tour I setup a flight to Lima, Peru this morning. PFPX reports the ICAO as SPJC but when I tried to import the route into EFB it said that ICAO didn't exist. A check of the airport name revealed it as SPIM. I modified the plan and it was loaded okay. PFPX reports it as JORGE CHAVEZ INTL.

 

I subscribe to Navigraph and both sets of data are running 2001-R1. Why would this mismatch happen?

Hi Ray,

 

Yes, this is one of the rare changes when a new airport was set up close to the old one or at the same location, but vastly enlarged. The new ICAO ID is now SPJC, but of course this one is not included in any of the default databases. Inorder to gain access within EFB (and the sim...) you need to either:

1) Produce your own AFCAD file for SPJC

- or -

2) install and Add-on, but I'm afraid there is none so far...🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Oskar,

 

Given this is a world tour so once I depart Lima tomorrow I'll probably never land there again I'll just cope with the clashing ICAOs.

 

Does EFB get the airport data from the user's data or from Navigraph-supplied data? I guess the former otherwise there wouldn't be this anomaly. I had a look on SimMarket for Lima scenery but the only recent package has the old ICAO so that wouldn't help and I believe you can only modify ICAOs in AFDs with the paid version of ADE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RayProudfoot said:

Hi Oskar,

 

Given this is a world tour so once I depart Lima tomorrow I'll probably never land there again I'll just cope with the clashing ICAOs.

 

Does EFB get the airport data from the user's data or from Navigraph-supplied data? I guess the former otherwise there wouldn't be this anomaly. I had a look on SimMarket for Lima scenery but the only recent package has the old ICAO so that wouldn't help and I believe you can only modify ICAOs in AFDs with the paid version of ADE.

Hi Ray,

 

The problem is, that for the old ICAO SPIM there are no more procedures available. IF there were any kind of AF BGL for SPJC, all ARINC procedures would of course be available in EFB2. I'm not even sure whether the default ICAO code can be changed in the stock file. This would require a complete redesign. So in fact if nobody in the community has produced a dedicated AF file for SPJC, there is no way procedures can be made available. A very uncomfortable situation, I agree and much simpler to handle in X-Plane...😀. There of course the community has produced a basic Global Airport file long ago.... In this respect the X-Plane community is far ahead of the "Rest of the World", but only in this respect...😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray, I have a temporary solution for you, to make at least the default airport available as SPJC. Make a distinctive Directory for SPJC. I still have the good old "Addon Scenery" in use and within that I created an "airport" SPJC, and within that the normal "Scenery" folder. This finally looks like that: D:\Prepar3D v4\Addon Scenery\SPJC Lima\Scenery. just like a common AddOn Scenery setup. Put the two BGLs below into that folder, add the new Airport SPJC to the scenery.cfg and re-run the DbBuilder.

 

SPJC_ADEP4_ow.bgl

SPIM_ADEP4_ow.bgl

 

It is absolutely necessary to also put the slightly modified SPIM BGL into that folder to allow EFB2 to recognize the proper airport. Both those BGLs are derived from the default BGL, but slightly modified to allow SPJC to be displayed. The second SPJM BGL has a slightly diesplaced ARP to allow SPJC to "take over". Please give it a try😀 As far as I have seen, it sems to work in my P3DV4 install...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oskar, that’s very kind of you, thanks. I’m parked at Lima overnight before the next leg tomorrow. Those files will come in handy and I’ll report back how the planning and departure went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those files sorted the problem so thanks again Oskar. I flew north to Cali but had to deactivate the FS Global layer for Sth America as the airfield was in a rectangular chasm several hundred feet deep! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RayProudfoot said:

Those files sorted the problem so thanks again Oskar. I flew north to Cali but had to deactivate the FS Global layer for Sth America as the airfield was in a rectangular chasm several hundred feet deep! 😂

Hi Ray,

 

Great to hear that is worked as predicted. Airport elevations are - despite all possible means to avoid - always a problem and cannot be sorted out all the time. My personal "handling" of such anomalities is to check out a newly installed airport whether anything is wrong with airport elevation. In most cases the elevation correction tool from ORBX vectors will do. Sometimes even the developers of an AddOn offer elevation correction BGLs. Nevertheless my guess is that this is a neverending task, if you chose to have 500+ aiports installed worldwide...😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Oskar, it's a default airport so no fix seems likely. Turning off the FSGlobal layer is easy and once I depart tomorrow I can enable it again. I don't have Vectors. I will check my destination airport tomorrow to ensure there is no repeat. We'll have these problems for eternity I suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...