ILS data missing still!!!

jsmcwilliam

I recently updated to the new PMDG NGXu and to Navgraphs 2001 cycle. I now find that approaches to ENGM and ESGG lack ILS info. Other airports may also be affected. I also notes that an approach to rwy 21 ESGG MOX2K was listed in the FMS but not in EFB. I have never before had problems like this and wonder what is going on. I have read similar topics here and have run both the Update Navdata and Update Simulator but this has not helped. I have also uninstalled FSAerodata but again this did not help. I hope somebody out there can offer some support to solve this frustrating impass.

John

EFB.PNG

Hi John,

If the ILS'es in ESGG are properly depicted in the respective BGL, they are also properly depicted in EFB2. The main problem ist that with time some ILS'es are replaced and therefore have changed crequencies and/or IDs. This is one of the disadvantages in the FSX/P3D way the navaids are defined. There's little we can do about that.

The presently valid data for ESGG ILS are:

RWY 21: 108.50 NGG

RWY 03: 110.30 SGG

If the BGL of your ESGG airport does not match these values, the ILS cannot be depicted, as they must be consisted with the AIRAC data in use on your installation. In case the default airports are affected, it is a good idea to have a look at Hervé SORS' https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html lovely freeware update for the default navaids. In Eurpoe region also ILS are updated.

This is how my default ESGG looks like:

ESGG_ILS.thumb.png.2430539ecd2f9cb0031f8323d04e07e0.png

Thanks for your explaination. I had quite a lot of missing files listed when I started the WordNavaids installation pgm perhaps due to 3rd party airports. There is an option there to ignore this before continuing with the installation. Perhaps I could:

1. Create a restore point first before installing the WorldNavaid package in case things get out of hand.

2. Go for the FsAeroData update (payware).

What to you suggest. Does either properly correct the offending BGL files in P3D? Does the payware option offer any advantages?

I have the latest Navgraph Cycle and its strange that the FMS in the PMDG NGXu gives correct navdata whereas EFB does not - the BGL files somehow must play a significant role here.

John

31 minutes ago, jsmcwilliam said:

Thanks for your explaination. I had quite a lot of missing files listed when I started the WordNavaids installation pgm perhaps due to 3rd party airports. There is an option there to ignore this before continuing with the installation. Perhaps I could:

1. Create a restore point first before installing the WorldNavaid package in case things get out of hand.

2. Go for the FsAeroData update (payware).

What to you suggest. Does either properly correct the offending BGL files in P3D? Does the payware option offer any advantages?

I have the latest Navgraph Cycle and its strange that the FMS in the PMDG NGXu gives correct navdata whereas EFB does not - the BGL files somehow must play a significant role here.

John

Hi John,

Just make sure you fully understand what SORS Navaid Update does (provided you use the default setting): It replaces - where applicable - the default NVX* and APX* files and renames the originals inorder to keep them for restoring purposes. No 3rd party files are modifed. As any 3rd party (add-on) BGL has priority over the default scenery, any wrong navaid in an add-on will be in higher priority and thus possibly not properly displayed. EFB2 follows exactly the same priority as the simulator. Do not be too annoyed by the "Conflicts" list provided by the SORS Navaid Updater. This list mainly copes with NDBs and VORs which are also used in other area scenery like ORBX'. The ydo not create havoc, they usually are even useable despite the conflict indication. I personally NEVER did anything to solve any conflicts as I use all of the ORBS areas. That would be a tremendous effort to solve all conflicts there...😀

We have created an additional means to use a BGL in highest priority when placed into the AFCAD folder. This is mainly used for Ground Layout problems. Of course also a different Navaid may be shown in such an AFCAD BGL, however this will never be tuneable! Tuneable navaids are restricted to any BGL's in any scenery path, following the usual priority schedule. This is (unfortunately) how navaid tuning works in all MS-based simulators. In this respect X-Plane is much more advanced. There the basic navadata are fully updateable with the latest AIRAC data, thus there will never be a discrepancy between tuneable or non-tuneable navaids as everything is derived from the same file.

To answer your two questions:

1) IMHO there is no reason to make a restore piont as the World Navaid Package does not change anything in the default scenery folder. You can always restore it to original (default) by the SORS Navaid Tool. I never had any misfortune when using SORS Navaid Update and I use it for many years now.

2) No, read here. https://forum.aivlasoft.com/topic/3887-fsaerodata-is-not-compatible-with-efb-v2/ FsAerodata manipulates the default BGLs in a way that EFB2 simply cannot cope with. 

So in short: if any add-on airport is still missing a navaid (mostly ILS of course), it is actually the add-on publisher's duty to modify the BGLs to reflect today's (AIRAC) state. This said, I'm fully aware of the fact that most of the add-on developers are not really helpful in that respect. In a few exceptional cases we may also provide help in creating valid BGL with correct Navaids. This service must however be of limited use as it is quite time-consuming to do all necessary corrections.

I ran the WorldNavaid installer, chose EU region and ignored the missing file indication. Then I ran the Aivlasoft update NavAids and Simulator in the Database Manager  (perhaps unncesssary) and started the P3D with the PMDG NGXu at ESSA. Loaded the ESSA-ESGG flightplan and chose an approach to ESGG and could see the ILS data was now available in EFB2. I will now reindex VoxAtc and see if it works better. Before I was getting FATAL ERRORS when approaching ESGG. In the mean time thanks for your help.

John