Failed Update Process

Radial9

Have had software installed and working for quite some time now. I updated server to V2.1 build #144 a month or so ago. I continually get an update  splash screen upon starting the client to upgrade from #108 to #114. I have done the installation at least six  times now. All goes well. The software installs, everything points to a sucessfull update. However, when launched the client starts #108 and again asks if I want to update. I keep repeating the same behavior expecting different results. No, stays with build #108.

What might I be doing incorrectly?

Thanks!

Win 10, P3dV4.5

Hello ??? (according to the forum rules, please sign your posts with your real first name. Thanks)

It might be that an update from #108 to #114 cannot be done using the auto-update function.

I suggest to uninstall the software (both the Client and the Server), then download the latest complete installers from the website and run these installers to have Client and Server updated to the latest version #114. This will hopefully solve the problem.

It is recommended to always apply the updates when they are available and indicated by the auto-update. Running different versions of Client and Server will always lead to troubles.

Hello Urs,

Thank you for such a quick response. Looking at my LatestVersions.txt file in the client Updates folder I read both client and server as 2.1.114.0

Yet I continue to be asked to update to #114 when starting the client and the System button does show V2.1 build #108.

No Worries...  I can download the installers and reinstall.

1. Will the installers see my license files in the existing install or should I go dig them out and have them handy when reinstalling?

2. Should I move my Profiles, Library, License, Routes and Settings folder to another area and copy them back on top of the new install, or will they remain intact?

Thanks!

Bob

Hi Bob,

10 hours ago, Radial9 said:

1. Will the installers see my license files in the existing install or should I go dig them out and have them handy when reinstalling?

Good question, indeed. I forgot to mention that you may save the license file so you can copy/paste it back after installation. But no problem if you wouldn't. As long as the installation is on the same machine than before, no record on the activation server will be touched. Ok, so far the background info. The file you can save is "<EFB Server Datapath>\License\AivlaSoft_Efb_V2_0.dlsc". This is the license file for your computer. Save it to another place BEFORE you run the uninstaller. After successful installation of the Server, you can copy/paste it back to the same location and then the Server will not ask you for the license details.

10 hours ago, Radial9 said:

2. Should I move my Profiles, Library, License, Routes and Settings folder to another area and copy them back on top of the new install, or will they remain intact?

Profiles: If you have altered one or more profiles, yes, save them to another location so you can put them back after the new installation.

Library: dito

License: see above

Routes: dito

Settings: dito

Hope this helps.

Hello Urs,

It does indeed help. Thank you for the detailed run through. Very much appreciated. GREAT piece of software!

Bob

Hello Urs,

Thank you for such a quick response. Looking at my LatestVersions.txt file in the client Updates folder I read both client and server as 2.1.114.0

Yet I continue to be asked to update to #114 when starting the client and the System button does show V2.1 build #108.

No Worries...  I can download the installers and reinstall.

Thanks!

Bob

Almost thought it was done. Moved the backup files into a backup directory, to include the license file. Uninstalled both the Server and the Client. Download new installers and ran them. Seemed to all go OK. Copied the license file and backup directories back. Ran the server. It recognized the license file and started. Log file appears to have no issues. Found P3D, found FSUIPC. Rebuilt the database, all seemed to go well  for the server install.

Upon starting client the client was unable to find the server. I have tried three times now, allowing it to run 10 minutes each time. Just won't find the server. I did look at the settings, it is set to find the server on a local PC. It just can't. Tried copying the same license file from the server into the client license folder, just for grins. Did no good.

I am running both the server and client as administrator.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bob

Hi Bob,

I guess, I know what happened. Just open the settings file from the Client ('clientSettings.txt') and also open the settings file from the Server ('serverSettings.txt'). In both files you will find a section called [Network]. In both sections you see a line 'TcpPortNumber = nnnnn'. While on the Server's side, the port number most probably is 57892, it is a different number on the Client's side. That's why the Client will not connect with the Server. The port number must be equal on both sides. Solution: Just set the Client's port number to the same number as on the Server's side, then save the clientSettings.txt and start the Client. Most probably it will now connect with the Server.