New Vatsim audio frequencies

Goedeken

• Goedeken changed the title to New Vatsim audio frequencies

I would echo the same.

An example, TOR_CTR is currently 125.775. Setting 125.77 on a radio will implicitly add the .005, to give 125.775. However, the Aivlasoft EFB does not do that in the convenient quick-click it provides on the Radio panel page. Making this even more confusing, VATSIM does NOT append that same .005 in its frequency lists, which is why the EFB picks that up.

With the switch away from voice rooms, in favor of using the actual dialed in frequency, in this instance setting 125.770 will no longer work. What you need to do is round the value to the nearest 0.025, correct to three digits, until VATSIM catches up with this in their frequency list. If they start simulating the new .0083 spacing, that would be another level of complexity.

Of course manually typing in 1 2 5 . 7 7 5 works fine in the EFB as well.

* Orest

• 3 weeks later...

In fact, VATSIM has not changed the handling of frequencies. The only thing that has changed when AFV was introduced, that some pilot clients have started to convert the "normalized" VATSIM frequency into the obvious 3-digit 25 kHz frequency. Technical manuals still advise to use so called normalized frequency, which means that only 2 digits are set, followed by zeros. Some VATSIM clients changed its behaviour to what was already the case in a number of add-on aircraft, where also the actual 25 kHz frequency was indicated. EFB could also be changed to ammend the display of all 3 digits. But this is only a display rule. The actual relevant digits remain the 2 after the decimal.

Glad I'm not the only one to have reported this. I switched back to a previous frequency once because I wasn't getting a respondance. I then looked at vpilot and saw the third digit. So, I used the ".com1 133.775" command to force my com to change. Hope Vatsim and/or Aiviasoft resolves the issue.

There is no issue in this regard. VATSIM accepts both normalized and 3-digits inputs and will translate it correctly. Normalized frequencies are kept for the time due to backwards compatibility with older VATSIM pilot clients. If you are using a modern pilot client, you can connect to the controller independent of whether he has normalized frequencies set or not.