Remote connection failed

Simpilot1

Hello,

I've just setup my Laptop that has worked as remote computer for EFB2 client with a new operating system after changing to SSD harddrive. Everything seems to be okay with the network. I can get access to the folders on the respective network clients. I've checked IP-address. Starting server works fine. Starting client works fine up to connection attempt to server computer. I can see correct IP address but no connection anyway. Both machines running on WIN10 pro 64 bit. Newest version of EFB2 installed. Network settings are aligned on both machines. Using Windows defender. Private Network. Firewall exeptions done.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andreas

32 minutes ago, Simpilot1 said:

Hello,

I've just setup my Laptop that has worked as remote computer for EFB2 client with a new operating system after changing to SSD harddrive. Everything seems to be okay with the network. I can get access to the folders on the respective network clients. I've checked IP-address. Starting server works fine. Starting client works fine up to connection attempt to server computer. I can see correct IP address but no connection anyway. Both machines running on WIN10 pro 64 bit. Newest version of EFB2 installed. Network settings are aligned on both machines. Using Windows defender. Private Network. Firewall exeptions done.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Please submit a set of Support Files: https://forum.aivlasoft.com/topic/3046-how-to-create-a-support-file/ So far we don't have any problems connecting the Client to the network. I take it that you have read the respective pages (Manual 5 Client, Chapter 5 First Start). What do you mean by "no connection anyway"? Is there a specific status displayed in the Status Window?

Hello,

the client starts and in the background I can see the user interface of the client and in the small startup window I can see that client is trying to connect server on respective IP address that is fully correct. But no progress out of this status.

4 hours ago, Simpilot1 said:

Hello,

the client starts and in the background I can see the user interface of the client and in the small startup window I can see that client is trying to connect server on respective IP address that is fully correct. But no progress out of this status.

Hi Andreas,

Yes, that's exactly why we ask you to provide the Support Files:  https://forum.aivlasoft.com/topic/3046-how-to-create-a-support-file/ This will include all necessary information to see why the connection could not  be established. There will be one Support file from the Server's and one from the Client's Computer.

I have however a strong guess where this problem could stem from. I take it that you did not make a completely new installation of both EFB2 Server and Client Software. Therefore a discrepancy on the port number for TCP connection could exist as we had to change these for several reasons lately.

Please check the port number for the Server under: Settings/System tab. It should read: 57892. This is the port number in use with the most recent version. If it is not that number, change it to that value and restart the Server. If you did updates on the Server (no new installation) and a new installation on the Client, it could be that there is a disrepancy between the port numbers. Unfortunately you cannot change the Port Number on the Client as long as it it not fully up and running. That's why we are asking for the Support Files to detect such differences.

• 1 month later...

Hi Oskar,

It's me again.

The issue is back and client on remote didn't connect to Server. Same situation as before. TCP Port is okay on Server as discussed earlier. No changes done anyway.

I have created support files but it is to big to upload. Please let me know where to send.

Thank you

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

thank you for sending the files.

From what I can see in the files, there is not a problem with EFB. Did you allow the EFB Client to pass through the Windows firewall? Sometimes this must be set manually.

Another question is why you don't update to the latest version?

• 4 months later...
On 10/7/2019 at 10:50 PM, lonewulf47 said:

Please check the port number for the Server under: Settings/System tab. It should read: 57892. This is the port number in use with the most recent version. If it is not that number, change it to that value and restart the Server. If you did updates on the Server (no new installation) and a new installation on the Client, it could be that there is a disrepancy between the port numbers. Unfortunately you cannot change the Port Number on the Client as long as it it not fully up and running. That's why we are asking for the Support Files to detect such differences.

Hello Oskar,

Just tried to install a fresh client on a remote laptop, and had the same problem as mentioned here in this topic.

After reading this solution (port number = 57892) for the server, all went fine.

Maybe put this info in a separate topic in the FAQ-section?

On 10/7/2019 at 10:50 PM, lonewulf47 said:

... Unfortunately you cannot change the Port Number on the Client as long as it it not fully up and running... 

So now the client on my main PC is not starting, probably because i changed the portnumber on the server to be able to communicate with the client on my remote PC. (see my earlier reply).

I can not change the portnumber on the client if not running.

So i presume a new download and reinstall of the client on the main PC should resolve the problem i guess?

=> Do i need to uninstall before reinstalling a new client on the main PC or is an install over the existing client OK?

Or i can change the portnumber of the client from the remote PC to the same of the client of the main PC, then change the portnumber on the server to match those of both clients.

But is this OK for future updates?

Hope this is not to complicated ;-)

1 hour ago, Headley said:

=> Do i need to uninstall before reinstalling a new client on the main PC or is an install over the existing client OK?

Please never try to install any software just "over" existing if not explicitly allowed. So in short: use the standard Windows uninstaller an reinstall the program. As a normal network requirement port numbers have to be identical in any case. Otherwise no communication between Server and Client is possible. What you did is to install a Client which had not the same build numbes as the Server. In this specific case it was just a bad idea  as we had to change the port number for some compatibility reasons right getween the two builds.

I would strongly recommend to download both newest builds from our Server: https://www.aivlasoft.com/download.html  and un- and reinstall both Server and Client. It's very quickly done and the best way to have identical builds installed.

For future updates it is important that ALWAYS BOTH SERVER AND CLIENT must be updated if prompted so. Never update one component and delay updating the other. This will avoid any further conflitcs.

Will do that, thanks for the hints ...

Edit:

While i was searching for files to back up (as i don't know if everything will be deleted while uninstalling), i stumbled on a file called "clientsettings.txt".  

And i cached my eye on the "portnumber"-setting.

So i thought, i change this portnumber to the one from the server, will it not work, then simply un- and reinstall.

Guess what: it works without uninstall and reinstall :-)