Is it really necessary to run as admin?

tbaac

AivlaSoft EFB looked quite promising.  But I just installed the trial version and got the message EFB Server cannot run without administrator rights (etc.)

Why?

I login to my PC as a normal (non-admin) user.  I can run xplane just fine like that.

When I run P3D I have to type my admin password in twice for Chaseplane and once for AS.

LM don't require me to run as admin, why do the addons?  It just reinforces that P3D is using really old technology.

I was careful installing the EFB server and client to put neither the data nor the program itself in an area that needs admin access.

Sorry, but why put a check at the start preventing me from running without admin rights?

Thanks

Tony Holmes.

Hi Tony,

when the Server is starting, it is looking for a running simulator process. If a running simulator process is found, the corresponding exe-file will be examined. This is what Windows requires admin rights for. All this is done to make sure that the proper database is loaded which matches the running simulator.

Thanks very much for the reply Urs.  I was really impressed when installing EFB that it let me specify where the data folder would be.  Personally I'd rather configure paths and databases in an EFB options screen, and then tell EFB which simulator to try and connect to (similar to how Plan G works).  As I said, I already need to type in my admin password 3 times when starting Prepar3d and I'm not really looking to add a 4th time.

Thanks for the quick response though, good luck with the product.

1 hour ago, tbaac said:

Thanks very much for the reply Urs.  I was really impressed when installing EFB that it let me specify where the data folder would be.  Personally I'd rather configure paths and  As I said, I already need to type in my admin password 3 times when starting Prepar3d and I'm not really looking to add a 4th time.

Sorry if this might sound a bit stupid: Why would no need to type ANY password  to start an application as Admin???

admin.png.6ebd2e4e4a97adfc170362c690f51f93.png

The only thing you need is to check the respective box in the properties/Compatibility box (sorry for publishing a Screenie of a German version) and your application will start as Admin FOREVER!!