Server - Doesn't Go To Tray After Startup

kymh

Firstly, thanks so much to AivlaSoft for Version 2.1.

It is fantastic to now be able to use EFB2 with X-plane 11 as well as P3D4.5

I have one little annoyance though and that is that since the upgrade, the server, despite its settings, does not automatically minimize to the system tray (running Windows 10) after starting which was not a problem on my system with the previous version.

The "serverSettings.txt" file is just fine and is writable and does contain the following:-

[General]
GoToTrayAfterStartup = True

Is there something I am missing or is this a little bug in the new system?

If there is a workaround other than Ctrl+T I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Regards Kym H

15 minutes ago, kymh said:

Firstly, thanks so much to AivlaSoft for Version 2.1.

It is fantastic to now be able to use EFB2 with X-plane 11 as well as P3D4.5

I have one little annoyance though and that is that since the upgrade, the server, despite its settings, does not automatically minimize to the system tray (running Windows 10) after starting which was not a problem on my system with the previous version.

The "serverSettings.txt" file is just fine and is writable and does contain the following:-

[General]
GoToTrayAfterStartup = True

Is there something I am missing or is this a little bug in the new system?

If there is a workaround other than Ctrl+T I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Regards Kym H

Hi Kym,

For the time being we had to drop this function as there is no automatic database detection possible with X-Plane. We therefore need to show the Server Window at startup and give the possibility to change the database if necessary. Remember, many users have an FS-based simulator as well as X-Plane. It is not decided yet how we will finally set this up, but it looks like we are going to definitely remove this option of going directly to the tray at startup. So, yes, for the time being you will need to use Ctrl-T or just minimize the Server Window.

• 4 months later...

Hi Oskar

I would like to come back on this issue. When I start my homecockpit (remember? B737NGX with motion), I have to call quite a lot of functions. So I try to avoid every unnecessary key stroke. IMHO sending the EFB server manually to tray is not really a smart solution. Please, please have again a look to that. The rest of the program is simply perfect and I like it most...

LG Urs

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, Alpin-Flier said:

Hi all

The problem above was perfectly solved after a discussion with Urs. But after my latest update (to #115) it seems to be back. "Go to tray after startup" is marked, but it remains on the desktop. What can I do? Thanks for help.

LG Urs

Strange, here it works as designed ?!?!?

@Alpin-Flier, @kymh

As Oskar mentioned, it should work, because I have changed it after the discussion with Urs at the flight sim fair last year.

1) How many databases can you see in the DatabaseBuilder window? And what kind of databases are these?

2) Can you please have a look into the file 'serverSettings.txt' and let me know the value of the following two parameters:

• GoToTrayAfterStartup   False or True

• GoToTrayAfterStartupShowMessage   False or True

3) Did you update to the latest build #115 (Client and Server)

Thanks.

Hi Urs and Oscar

1) only one, selected, P3Dv4.NG-2003/R1

2) both set True

3) yes, both on #115

Strange: on my test place it never goes to tray by itself, but on my homepit it appears only once after PC start, then I close it and open again, now it disappears. Is there a flag somewhere? Is it dependent, if P3D is running or not? Quite cumbersome... Can I do some further tests?

LG Urs

Just as an idea: has it to do with the focus? When I click Ctrl-T and the focus is not on EFB Server, it is not sent to tray. This would explain some different behaviour, depending on machine and running programs, may be also priorities. I start P3D and EFB server with task scheduler (with highest priority) to avoid the security questions.

LG Urs

Hi Urs,

As far as I understand the Windows Basics, using a Key-combo for a running program needs this program to have the focus.This is true for all Windows Applications. If the program however is using it's internal routine (e.g. for going to the tray) is is independent of whether it has the focus or not. That's exactly as I see the behaviour on my machine. I must honestly admit that I have no idea what is going on on your machine. You're on Win10?

Hi Oskar

Thank you very much for the explanation. Due to the fact that it works on my homepit, I don't have really a problem with this issue. By the way, EFB2 is so convincing, that I will use it also in the future, although the PMDG NGXu has now an internal EFB. But imho it is far behind the Aivlasoft EFB  🙂

Thank you again and all the best

Urs

Hi Oskar and Urs

As an engineer I like to know things to the ground. So I made a new attempt. And I found the reason 🙂.

At installation of EFB2 I had Active Sky on my test machine. Then I moved Active Sky to my homepit (only one installation allowed). Now the EFB2 server shows at start an error: "Starting weather (Active Sky) ... Der Pfad hat ein ungültiges Format". I did not find a way to change the weather machine in the system settings. But then I found it in the globalsettings.txt. I changed the "WeatherProvider = 3" to  "WeatherProvider = 1" and .... now it works perfect ☺️. It seems, that errors at startup block the send to tray function. That's quite reasonable.

LG Urs

3 hours ago, Alpin-Flier said:

Hi Oskar and Urs

As an engineer I like to know things to the ground. So I made a new attempt. And I found the reason 🙂.

At installation of EFB2 I had Active Sky on my test machine. Then I moved Active Sky to my homepit (only one installation allowed). Now the EFB2 server shows at start an error: "Starting weather (Active Sky) ... Der Pfad hat ein ungültiges Format". I did not find a way to change the weather machine in the system settings. But then I found it in the globalsettings.txt. I changed the "WeatherProvider = 3" to  "WeatherProvider = 1" and .... now it works perfect ☺️. It seems, that errors at startup block the send to tray function. That's quite reasonable.

LG Urs

Hi Urs,

Very impressive test. Thanks for publishing the results. Nevertheless I would like to mention that the Weatherprovider Setting can of course be changed in the running system. Just go to the Client's settings and change the "Weather" settings to "Real Weather". This setting is transmitted to the Server and stored in the Global Settings as "1", which means that no external weather AddOn is required.

Hi Oskar

1 hour ago, lonewulf47 said:

I would like to mention that the Weatherprovider Setting can of course be changed in the running system. Just go to the Client's settings and change the "Weather" settings to "Real Weather". This setting is transmitted to the Server and stored in the Global Settings as "1", which means that no external weather AddOn is required.

Now everything is clear, thank you very much. My mistake, that I searched this modification only in the server settings.

Nice weekend to all

LG Urs