EFB / ActiveSky / X-Plane - weatherupdate issue

I've an issue with updating the weather with the Active Sky current_wx_snapshot.txt and using EFB 2.1 build #106 using X-Plane 11.30+, EFB client running as network install or local on serverside.

On the client AND server side, there is no update of the weatherdata until I do one of the following:

• Server - restart (Log shows "File base weather broadcasted")
  • Client - change weather provider, apply and switch back to Active Sky (Server log: File = [Path]current_wx_snapshot.txt / Weather (ActiveSKy) started / File base weather broadcasted)

If I only hit refresh on the client at "global settings - Weather", the client receives the raw data from the server but the server doesn't update it's own weatherdata with ActiveSky's snapshot, even after hours of running the server.

Seems there is no recurring, automated task for reading ActiveSky's weathersnapshot on the serverside.

If I switch to real weather, updating the weather on client side is working so far.

Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

Hello ??? (please observer the forum rules)

Thank you for this detailed report.

Did you verify that the Active Sky weather file is properly set for the corresponding simulator type?

Weather data from file will only read after the file has been altered. It will also be read after the weather provider has been changed (what you already did and reported). So the question is whether the file will really be updated. Could you please verify whether the current_wx_snapshot.txt in the given path is really updated?

10 hours ago, SimCGNPilot said:

If I only hit refresh on the client at "global settings - Weather", the client receives the raw data from the server but the server doesn't update it's own weatherdata with ActiveSky's snapshot, even after hours of running the server.

This is by design. The button "Refresh" does not trigger a new download, but a new transmission of the already downloaded or read data. It is meant for the purpose when a client has been restarted recently but did not receive the weather data.

Hi Avlasoft Team...

I can confirm the same for me.  I am 30-day testing before I purchase the second version (I had the old one...with P3D...but stopped flying in favor of XPL). Here are the answers to your forum post sticky:

3) Your post must provide the following information

1. Simulator type - XPL 11.3
  2. EFB v2 Server and Client Build # - Version 2.1 Build #106
  3. EFB v2 setup: networked or single machine - Single Machine
  4. EFB v2 setup: default or custom path - Custom path...no permission issues that I saw (see below though)
  5. Using licensed or free trial version - Free
  6. If the issue is related to database or procedures: - Navdata provider and cycle number - Navigraph 1904-R1
  7. If the issue is related to a certain airport: - ICAO code. - All airports....testing of below was done at KDCA
  8. If it's an add-on airport, then the publisher/developer of the add-on airport - DD XPL (cannot spell the name right now...LOL)
  9. Steps to reproduce the behavior

I am in the process of testing if changing the setting in ASXP called "Common Data Export Path" to be a custom path, instead of the default location for ASXP (which placed it in my User/App data folder.  So far the weather has updated after I changed the default location.  Will update in an hour (when the metar updates).  Thank you!!

J

**Update/Edit - 

After two metar changes, the old metar is still there...and the only way to get it to change out to match the new ActiveSky XP info is to shut the server down and restart it.  

11 hours ago, aivlasoft said:

Hello ??? (please observer the forum rules)

Thank you for this detailed report.

Did you verify that the Active Sky weather file is properly set for the corresponding simulator type?

Weather data from file will only read after the file has been altered. It will also be read after the weather provider has been changed (what you already did and reported). So the question is whether the file will really be updated. Could you please verify whether the current_wx_snapshot.txt in the given path is really updated?

This is by design. The button "Refresh" does not trigger a new download, but a new transmission of the already downloaded or read data. It is meant for the purpose when a client has been restarted recently but did not receive the weather data.

Good morning Aivlasoft-Team,

sorry for not regarding the forum rules.

Here's the missing information:

1. Simulator XPL 11.33b1 or XPL11.32RC2
  2. EFB v2 Server and Client Build # - Version 2.1 Build #106
  3. EFB v2 setup: networked (single also tested)
  4. EFB v2 setup: custom path 
  5. Using  - Free / Evaluation
  6. If the issue is related to database or procedures: - NG-1904R1
  7. If the issue is related to a certain airport: - No

I've verified, that EFB has full reading capabilities of the share folder containing the weather snapshot. Alternatively I tried to mirror the weatherdata to a local folder on the server side by running a simple batchjob as a windows task triggerred by file changes. Same behaviour as before.

The download interval in ASXP is 15 Minutes and I monitored also the changes of the snapshot by comparing the files bytewise. (How are changes of the snapshot monitored by EFB-Server and how is the update with the new snapshot triggered? Timestamp, hash or dataref by X-Plane?).

Joerg

Good afternoon Aivlasoft-Team,

now I've found out a very curious thing in X-Plane 11.32+.

After temporarely disabling the Dateref-Editor and Lee Baker's Dataref-Tool the weather is processed by the EFB Server and also broadcasted.

I keep on investigating the described issue further.

Joerg

Great find!  Glad it worked out for you.  Unfortunately, I do not have either of those plugins.  I tried to disable a few of what I have (standard ones for XPL) and nothing worked.

Happy flights Joerg.

John

4 hours ago, SimCGNPilot said:

Good afternoon Aivlasoft-Team,

now I've found out a very curious thing in X-Plane 11.32+.

After temporarely disabling the Dateref-Editor and Lee Baker's Dataref-Tool the weather is processed by the EFB Server and also broadcasted.

I keep on investigating the described issue further.

Joerg

I think that Joerg unintentionally pointed to a possible cause for not updating weather data in EFB: if the weather file written by ASXP is located on a shared network drive, then EFB will not be informed about the changes. Would it be possible to test this with the ASXP data file in a folder on a local drive (not 'one drive')? Thanks.

And please always make sure that 1) the weather data file 'current_wx_snapshot.txt' from ActiveSky is properly referenced in the EFB Server's settings, and that 2) ActiveSky is also selected as the weather provider in the Client's settings.

7 minutes ago, aivlasoft said:

I think that Joerg unintentionally pointed to a possible cause for not updating weather data in EFB: if the weather file written by ASXP is located on a shared network drive, then EFB will not be informed about the changes. Would it be possible to test this with the ASXP data file in a folder on a local drive (not 'one drive')? Thanks.

And please always make sure that the ASXP weather data file 'current_wx_snapshot.txt' is properly referenced in the EFB Server's settings.

Hi Avlasoft Team-

I tested the snapshot file in both the C-drive (default install) and a shared drive (still internal to the machine).  I have not used one drive....sorry if I was confusing earlier....it's just what I called it from my job :)  But In either the default location, or the custom the file does not update at all in EFB.  Even though the actual file is updated by ASXP.  Let me know if I can test something else.  Great product!!  Looking forward to purchasing this V2.

Thank you for your help.

J

Hi John,

could you please create a set of support files, one from the Client and one from the Server. The files should cover the same time period so the content is in relation to each other. You may upload the files here, or if you prefer, you may also send them to support@aivlasoft.com. Hopefully I can find the cause for the problem in the logfiles. Thanks.

Thank you!  I have sent you guys an email.  Appreciate your help.

John

2 hours ago, aivlasoft said:

Hi John,

could you please create a set of support files, one from the Client and one from the Server. The files should cover the same time period so the content is in relation to each other. You may upload the files here, or if you prefer, you may also send them to support@aivlasoft.com. Hopefully I can find the cause for the problem in the logfiles. Thanks.

Hi John,

thanks for the files.

EFB allows to select from different weather data providers.

The preferences (e.g. ActiveSky file name) must be set in the Server's settings. See the manual "3 EN Server.pdf", page 13 "Weather"

The selection must be done on the Client side in the settings, first tab 'Global'. See the manual "5 EN Client.pdf", page 23 "Weather"

Joerg,

could it be that this is also the solution on your system?

11 hours ago, aivlasoft said:

Hi John,

thanks for the files.

The preferences (e.g. ActiveSky file name) must be set in the Server's settings. See the manual "3 EN Server.pdf", page 13 "Weather"

The selection must be done on the Client side in the settings, first tab 'Global'. See the manual "5 EN Client.pdf", page 23 "Weather"

Joerg,

So this is what I get for not RTFM!!  LoL. I feel a little shame now!!  I thought that client-side was pushing the real world weather and the server-side was pushing the ASXP info. 

I believe I am good now. I'll report back if not. But I should be ok. I am sorry for the time wasted!!  Really appreciate the help and support. Take care. 

John

On 4/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, aivlasoft said:

Hi John,

thanks for the files.

Joerg,

Hi aivlasoft,

nope, that's not the solution for me. All paths are set correct set and server and database are configured in a correct way as well.

Just one information according to my setup. ASXP runs and the pc on which the EFB client runs. ASXP provides it's data via it's own connector to x-plane and the shared x-plane folder containing the metar.rwx

The only solution for so far is deactivating some plugins and give access to the ASXP folder, that contains the weather snapshot.

Synchronizing this file to a folder on the system, that's running x-plane and the EFB server doesn't work and force ASXP write the snapshot to this shared folder doesn't work either.

Now it's my part to identify the plugin, that causes EFB server not to read the ASXP snapshot when the file is changed by ASXP.

I'll keep you up to date, when I identfy the plugin.

Joerg