X-plane limitations?

Hi 

First of all congratulations on the latest update, I have read your post on limitations for x-plane and I must say I'm extremely disappointed not just for the Limitations but also the excuses behind them especially the Ground layout and taxi I have to point out that there is a FF AVS that use apt.dat files  and it works flawlessly so there must be a way of you implementing this in a future update? 

It's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. EFB V2.1 is deriving all available information from the apt.dat. Basically the apt.dat does only depict surfaces (taxiways) and lines (linear feature). This as such does not allow a too much detailed ground mapping as the linear feature can depict ANY line on the airport layout. There is no direct specification for a taxiway centerline.

Nevertheless as EFB is undergoing constant development, we cannot rule out that at a later stage the taxiroutes as defined in spec 1100 will be able to provide some more information on taxiways. For the time being however, the use of taxiroutes is of an extremely varying quality and completeness. This is entirely the developer's responsibility. If we see an increasing quality in those applications, we might of course consider enhancing our taxi system also for X-Plane use. Time will show - no commitment though.

This forum post has been deleted by the Admin for the follwing reason (excerpt from Forum Rules):

5) You agree not to post any abusive, untrue, offensive, or inappropriate content or content that is forbidden by law on these forums. Doing so can cause your account on these forums to get banned or removed. You also agree that administrators and moderators are permitted to edit, delete, move or lock your topics when they think this is needed.

I hope you find a Solution to Implement the Taxiways into your System cause Little Navmap and FS Flight Control grab this Data also to their Databases without running the Simulator.

I for now run Little NavMap on my RemoteMachine in the Background to have the Taxiways on the Airport.

Their is an second Issue i found as a permanently Onlineflyer on IVAO.

Why you not show the IVAO-Traffic on Ground?

It only shows the Aircrafts on Runways when the Transponder is set to on.

There is no Way to find a possible Parking Position, to Start from, if you not see the occupied Positions before.

Solution for now also Little NavMap.

Torsten

6 minutes ago, buettnth said:

I hope you find a Solution to Implement the Taxiways into your System cause Little Navmap and FS Flight Control grab this Data also to their Databases without running the Simulator.

Torsten,

Our goal is to draw - as we do for MS-based aiports - the airport layout exactly as it is used in the simulator - be it an AddOn or not. We therefore use data derived from the simulator. This also includes possible position errors used by a few AddOns. The products you mentioned use OSM data, which are always from Real Life. We do not inted to change this policy as not everybody has hundreds of AddOns representing real life Airports.

19 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

Torsten,

Our goal is to draw - as we do for MS-based aiports - the airport layout exactly as it is used in the simulator - be it an AddOn or not. We therefore use data derived from the simulator. This also includes possible position errors used by a few AddOns. The products you mentioned use OSM data, which are always from Real Life. We do not inted to change this policy as not everybody has hundreds of AddOns representing real life Airports.

for the Taxilines you make a Joke.

I personally had to change the Taxiways in EDDH on the Gateway with WED as they changed, to look correct in Little NavMap.

It's all in the apt.dat

Torsten

19 minutes ago, buettnth said:

It's all in the apt.dat

Yes, of course it's all in the apt.dat. Nobody said someting else. We all know these specs, do we? Maybe you have missed what I wrote above. We do presently not use taxi routes. apt.dat does not know taxilines. It only knows LINEAR FEATURES and SURFACES. You cannot define a Linear Feature as a distinct taxiline. It's just a line like all others. The line code is not sifnificant as it may be used in any random way by the designer.

7 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

Yes, of course it's all in the apt.dat. Nobody said someting else. We all know these specs, do we? Maybe you have missed what I wrote above. We do presently not use taxi routes. apt.dat does not know taxilines. It only knows LINEAR FEATURES and SURFACES. You cannot define a Linear Feature as a distinct taxiline. It's just a line like all others. The line code is not sifnificant as it may be used in any random way by the designer.

Maybe it's only a Line with a Name.

But to not have this Line make it impossible to follow the Taxiinstructions given from the Controller. "You have Charts on Board" , will be his Question.

So i have to use a second Program like Aivlasoft Simulink or my Solution for the Moment to fly online?

I hope this will better in a later release.

Torsten

4 hours ago, buettnth said:

Maybe it's only a Line with a Name.

But to not have this Line make it impossible to follow the Taxiinstructions given from the Controller. "You have Charts on Board" , will be his Question.

So i have to use a second Program like Aivlasoft Simulink or my Solution for the Moment to fly online?

I hope this will better in a later release.

Torsten

Torsten,

As I wrote earlier in this thread, our initial goal was to depict the entire taxiway system as completely as possible - as we do in FSX/P3D. Unfortunately this goal cannot be achieved by the "traditional" means in X-Plane i.e. all available surfaces and lines as the information derived from these items is not distincitve enough. At a later stage we will certainly go for the Taxi Routes which in most cases will also provide Taxiway Names and more. However it will not provide the entire Taxiway Network on the airport as the taxi routes are - depending on the designer - not covering all possible Taxi Routings. On the positive side there are already a large number of gateway airports "equipped" with Taxi Routes. Time will tell...😃

5 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

Torsten,

As I wrote earlier in this thread, our initial goal was to depict the entire taxiway system as completely as possible - as we do in FSX/P3D. Unfortunately this goal cannot be achieved by the "traditional" means in X-Plane i.e. all available surfaces and lines as the information derived from these items is not distincitve enough. At a later stage we will certainly go for the Taxi Routes which in most cases will also provide Taxiway Names and more. However it will not provide the entire Taxiway Network on the airport as the taxi routes are - depending on the designer - not covering all possible Taxi Routings. On the positive side there are already a large number of gateway airports "equipped" with Taxi Routes. Time will tell...😃

I know the Feature of the Taxi Routing from my Time with this in my FSX times Years ago.

I never used it, cause as online Flyer i have my Routing after the Clearence on my handwritten Note.

But to have nothing is not the best Idea.

Thx for looking into it later.

Torsten

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Torsten,

For the XIVAP not showing Trafic on Ground i will open a new Thread.

Before you open a new thread, just do a test by opening the so called 'Traffic monitor' from the EFB Servers menu. It will show you the traffic data which is provided directly by the UDP-interface of X-Plane. If you don't see any traffic there, then no traffic is provided to EFB. In this case you should also consider the cause for the issue outside of EFB.