Local time is needed and several questions to be asked

Kyle Kahn

Hi Aivlasoft,

Could you please inform us if the local time indication (as a sidenote to UTC) is implemented? The time refers to airport charts or info is all local time, I will have to google the local time at the destination for this reason. As far as I know, there is no alternative has implemented this feature, it would be best if you have considered it.

Also, I really want to see there will be a "Diversion" option in the flight log, sometimes you may not able to reach the destination but have to land at an airport for emergency reasons. So you would have every flight (normal or abnormal) recorded.

Is there still a chance that OFF/OUT/IN/ON times to be recorded in the flight log? Many airlines flight log have these entries to be filled by ACARS. I hope it will be available in EFB v2. (EFB v1 has this implemented)

AFAIK, VA software can record the engine start/shutdown time as OFF/ON time, at least for X-Plane it works. However, this option is not available to non-VA users. It can still be used for flight log purposes.  

Thank you very much for the answers.

Cheers,

K

Hi Kyle

On 4/16/2019 at 11:53 PM, Kyle Kahn said:

Could you please inform us if the local time indication (as a sidenote to UTC) is implemented? The time refers to airport charts or info is all local time, I will have to google the local time at the destination for this reason. As far as I know, there is no alternative has implemented this feature, it would be best if you have considered it.

This would require a database with local time offsets because it's not just one hour every 15° ... I unfortunately don't know such a database. Do you?

Also, I really want to see there will be a "Diversion" option in the flight log, sometimes you may not able to reach the destination but have to land at an airport for emergency reasons. So you would have every flight (normal or abnormal) recorded.

Currently we do not have plans to introduce this functionality in the near future, but we will keep it on our radar  and probably reconsider our decision if we get more requests regarding this functionality.

Is there still a chance that OFF/OUT/IN/ON times to be recorded in the flight log? Many airlines flight log have these entries to be filled by ACARS. I hope it will be available in EFB v2. (EFB v1 has this implemented)

AFAIK, VA software can record the engine start/shutdown time as OFF/ON time, at least for X-Plane it works. However, this option is not available to non-VA users. It can still be used for flight log purposes.  

The current version of EFB does automatically log the takeoff and the touchdown time but not the engine ON/OFF. EFB v1 had an internal trigger for engine ON/OFF, but unfortunately we had to learn that it does not work for all aircraft, so we decided to take a trigger for v2 which is always available. Maybe we could add a possibility to manual start/stop the time.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:58 AM, aivlasoft said:

Hi Kyle

This would require a database with local time offsets because it's not just one hour every 15° ... I unfortunately don't know such a database. Do you?

Currently we do not have plans to introduce this functionality in the near future, but we will keep it on our radar  and probably reconsider our decision if we get more requests regarding this functionality.

The current version of EFB does automatically log the takeoff and the touchdown time but not the engine ON/OFF. EFB v1 had an internal trigger for engine ON/OFF, but unfortunately we had to learn that it does not work for all aircraft, so we decided to take a trigger for v2 which is always available. Maybe we could add a possibility to manual start/stop the time.

What kind of database are you looking for? FSRealtime has a corrected timezone file, I assume you are talking about this?

In EFB V2 I have encountered a new issue, the status of a flight stays at ARRIVAL even when the plane has arrived at the airport and on the ground. Normally when EFB detects a touch down it will automatically save the flight log as a document. 

However, this doesn't appear to be the case for my flight today to Paris. The status says "Arrival" even when the flight actually on blocks. And there is no way to export the flight log as pdf for this reason. I didn't find a switch to complete this flight manually.

Am I doing things wrong or you didn't add a button to complete a flight manually? 

On 4/23/2019 at 6:06 PM, Kyle Kahn said:

FSRealtime has a corrected timezone file, I assume you are talking about this?

Could be. I don't have had a look at this. Of course I would have to ask the people at FSRealtime first.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:06 PM, Kyle Kahn said:

Am I doing things wrong or you didn't add a button to complete a flight manually? 

Usually all works automatically. But here it obviously went something wrong which I have never seen before. I can see on the sidebar that most probably the sequencing of the waypoints did not properly work or something else happened (e.g. Active WPT is empty, Dist=2.0km, Time 23:54) These values are completely wrong. Did you use time compression? Was it a regular flight with a duration of 10h:29m without any interruption. Did you experience any other 'anomalies' while in flight?

Could be. I don't have had a look at this. Of course I would have to ask the people at FSRealtime first.

That's great! If you have their permission to use the file, do you consider adding this as a feature? We really need local time format as an annotation to the UTC because it's being used in airport charts, information and flight logs.

Usually all works automatically. But here it obviously went something wrong which I have never seen before. I can see on the sidebar that most probably the sequencing of the waypoints did not properly work or something else happened (e.g. Active WPT is empty, Dist=2.0km, Time 23:54) These values are completely wrong. Did you use time compression? Was it a regular flight with a duration of 10h:29m without any interruption. Did you experience any other 'anomalies' while in flight?

I don't think something went wrong in this case, I wasn't monitoring the flight because I was sleeping during the long haul flight. However, the flight duration at 10:20 is normally the flight time from Seattle to Paris in the real world so I don't think it triggered time compression.

When I woke up everything was perfectly fine, I have noticed this issue at the time of on blocks. It indeed recorded the time of touch down (15:03z) but there is no way to complete the flight or export the log. Do you have a manual switch or short-cut method to complete a flight? I have read the manual but it doesn't cover the instructions. 

11 hours ago, Kyle Kahn said:

Do you have a manual switch or short-cut method to complete a flight?

No, because it is not needed (if all works properly). So we should investigate why this flight did not detect touchdown and therefore it did not automatically close the flight plan. Usually the flight plan is then available in the EFB library, and therefore in the EFB 'Library' folder as a pdf-file (it's also possible to have it as a CSV-file).

On 4/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, aivlasoft said:

No, because it is not needed (if all works properly). So we should investigate why this flight did not detect touchdown and therefore it did not automatically close the flight plan. Usually the flight plan is then available in the EFB library, and therefore in the EFB 'Library' folder as a pdf-file (it's also possible to have it as a CSV-file).

Hi Urs, I think I found the issue now. I'm now starting a new flight in Paris. The status bar at the beginning says "Enroute" but I'm still on the ground.

Could you please tell me how do you evaluate if the plane is staying on the ground or flying? Do you take AGL data as a reference?

Please reply to me if you see this message.

K

Capture.thumb.PNG.803f990a4c1ce8977ea466c8adbe929d.PNG

Hi Kyle,

it's radio altitude, but obviously the value is too low (currently 1 Meter). I will increase it a little and will add GS as a second condition.

Can you try it with another aircraft just to see whether 'Ground' is detected in the same situation as you took the screenshot? Thanks.

In the meantime we have figured out that the 767 seems to be the only one which does not work properly. But in the meantime I have also found another trigger which seems to be more reliable than what I have used before. It works now with the 767 too and will be available with next update. Thanks for reporting.

5 hours ago, aivlasoft said:

In the meantime we have figured out that the 767 seems to be the only one which does not work properly. But in the meantime I have also found another trigger which seems to be more reliable than what I have used before. It works now with the 767 too and will be available with next update. Thanks for reporting.

Thanks! I will report back the test result after the fix is released.

I would like to report another issue. When I was flying with Ultimate 737-700 for X-Plane. The EFB won't recognize the profile and it's using the default profile instead. Could you please take a look at this? Thank you!

37 minutes ago, Kyle Kahn said:

Thanks! I will report back the test result after the fix is released.

I would like to report another issue. When I was flying with Ultimate 737-700 for X-Plane. The EFB won't recognize the profile and it's using the default profile instead. Could you please take a look at this? Thank you!

Hi Kyle,

Please check the Manual "5 EN Client" page 94, the Remark about X-Plane. This is common behaviour if the respective ICAO-Code is not contained in the Profile in question. I don't have the Ultimate B737-700. Maybe you could retrieve the Code from the *.acf file and publis here? So we could add it to the present set of profiles.

2 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

Hi Kyle,

Please check the Manual "5 EN Client" page 94, the Remark about X-Plane. This is common behaviour if the respective ICAO-Code is not contained in the Profile in question. I don't have the Ultimate B737-700. Maybe you could retrieve the Code from the *.acf file and publish here? So we could add it to the present set of profiles.

Hi, I just found the ICAO code is B737 in the planemaker. I'm not sure if I can share the .acf with you due to copyright concerns. 

1 hour ago, Kyle Kahn said:

Hi, I just found the ICAO code is B737 in the planemaker. I'm not sure if I can share the .acf with you due to copyright concerns. 

Nope, you don't need to share the *.acf file 😃. The only thing we need  to know s the ICAO-Code used for this A/C model, which is obviously B737. That's all. We will add it to our default profile collection for the B737-700 and I'm sure you have added it already to your B737-700 profile by using the Profile Editor. Don't forget to restart the Client after a change within the profiles.