2 Simulator Installation

Juergen2

Hi,

I have a problem getting the EFB2 to work with my simulators.

Background: I tried to install FSX-SE and P3Dv4 on 1 (one) SSD. However, Steam does NOT let me select a different install directory (on 1 drive) other than the default [ C: Program Files (x86) > .....], so I installed FSX-SE on a separate SSD. I installed P3Dv4 on the C drive in it's own directory {NOT in "Program Files"}.

Now when I am trying to create databases for both simulators, I get errors on both database creations.

Thanks for help and suggestions

Server_201811111057.txt.zip

Server_201811111058.txt.zip

1 hour ago, Juergen2 said:

Hi,

Can anyone help me with the issue I have in FSX-SE.

Thanks

Juergen,

I'm not really knowledgeable on FSX:SE, but frankly, I don't understand what you wrote about the FSX:SE installation. On one hand you explain that Steam doesn't let you install FSX-SE in another directory than the default, on the other hand you explain that you have installed FSX-SE on a separate SSD. If Steam insists on installing a program into a specific (system) directory and drive, I doubt that any redirection of the install will do any good. You could do it on the FSX, if you knew exactly how to do it. Same applies to Prepar3D. Whenever you want to install Prepar3D into another place than default, you first need to create a basic directory and point the installer to it. That's how I did it many times, also with FSX and all on the same drive. Whether this "trick" is possible with FSX-SE is beyond my knowledge. There is really no reason th install these simulators on different drives. Of course you need to run any of the simulators at least ONCE, because many system files are written only after an initial run has been completed.

Oskar,

Maybe it is not quite clear what I meant with the FSX-SE installation, but here is what happened:

Initially I had planned to install both simulators (FSX_SE and P3D) on a 1TB SSD which I had just installed WIN10 onto. So than I installed STEAM onto that drive, went to my STEAM library and tried to change the download default location from C:Program Files (x86) to another folder which I had created on my hard drive. However, STEAM did NOT let me change the default location from C:Program Files (x86) to another location. Only 1 (ONE) path per drive. That's the reason I had to install FSX-SE to another drive and STEAM would let me install to that location. So my FSX-SE is now installed in  D :  FS FSX-SE > steamapps > common > FSX.

The trick you mentioned i applied to P3Dv4 (create a directory and point the installer to it), but it does NOT work with FSX Steam Edition. The default installation path is given and you can NOT change it. You can only have one install path per drive.

I hope I made myself understandable what happened and what I had to do.

So initially I had a problem with both simulators. However after I ran P3Dv4, the missing addon directories were created and the database finished w/o errors.

Not so in FSX-SE. After i ran the simulator, I tried to create a new database and almost immediately received this error: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/7JuU15

Also the attached Server Log files in my initial post apply.

So this is the state of the simulators: P3Dv4 GOOD  /  FSX-SE NO GOOD

I hope it makes sense  and thank you for help

Juergen

Hi Oskar,

I had success! After looking at the scenery path's and checking in the simulator (ALL present) i decided to un-install the server completely.

After the re-install of the server - created both databases (FSX-SE and P3Dv4).

Both databases created w/o errors and both connect to the display unit.

So we are good to go and I know where I am when flying.

Thanks

Juergen

21 minutes ago, Juergen2 said:

Hi Oskar,

I had success! After looking at the scenery path's and checking in the simulator (ALL present) i decided to un-install the server completely.

After the re-install of the server - created both databases (FSX-SE and P3Dv4).

Both databases created w/o errors and both connect to the display unit.

So we are good to go and I know where I am when flying.

Thanks

Juergen

Hi Jürgen,

That sounds great! Congratulations! So - for all future users of both FSX:SE and P3D v4 with problems in the setup you will be able to provide some good advice..? as we here at AivlaSoft do not use FSX:SE.

Juergen,

I thought you were moving FSX-SE to another drive. I did this myself since I wanted it running off a faster SSD. But I guess having a second location on the same drive is not allowed. I did read some posts of people closing Steam, dragging the Steam folder out of the C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder and then running Steam.exe within the folder and Steam sorts itself out. But I haven't tried this myself so can't confirm it. Anyway, you got it working for your own setup. ?

Randy

Randy,

I have 2 SSD's - Drive  C with WIN 10 and drive D just formatted to hold data.

So initially I wanted to have the 2 simulators on the same drive [FSX-SE & P3Dv4]). I installed STEAM on the C drive in a directory FS FSX-SE and tried to install FSX-SE onto the same directory. However,  that's when I ran into the single default download location with STEAM. So the only chance I had was to install Steam & FSX-SE on drive D and install P3Dv4 on the C drive in it's own directory.

Sofar just minor glitches and operator errors

Juergen