Profile for the 747-8i and -8F

Tivec

9 hours ago, Tivec said:

With the release of the pmdg 747-8 passenger and freighter models, we're going to need an EFB profile. Because weights differ from the 747-400, that data probably won't work. Is there any form for data I can provide to help you produce a profile?

Hi Henrik,

It's even better: there is a Profile Editor in the Client available. See Manual "5 Client", Chapter "12.2 Profiles Editor". The community is invited to create profiles for whatever aircraft it may become necessary. If the creator of such a profile is willing to share his new profile, It can be uploaded here and will subsequently be published in the "Contributions/Profiles" Section.

If only we know what profile will AivlaSoft accept because I've tried:

• B747-800
  • PMDG 747-8
  • PMDG 747-800
  • BOEING 747-8 v3
  • Boeing 747-8
  • B747-8
  • B748

And tried my best to fill in every box, tab and click to the best of my ability with the manual open next to me but AS keeps nagging that the profile could not be found. Will be more than willing to share the profile once AS has decided to accept the profile.

8 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

If only we know what profile will AivlaSoft accept because I've tried:

• B747-800
  • PMDG 747-8
  • PMDG 747-800
  • BOEING 747-8 v3
  • Boeing 747-8
  • B747-8
  • B748

And tried my best to fill in every box, tab and click to the best of my ability with the manual open next to me but AS keeps nagging that the profile could not be found. Will be more than willing to share the profile once AS has decided to accept the profile.

My guess is that you didn't fill in all fields correctly, in particular the name of the *.air file. Could you please post your profile XML file here and I'll have it checked. Please also indicate the name of the *.air file that PMDG is using for its 747-8.

After posting the above I realised there is one more combo that I haven't tried and as true as full moOn tonight, AS accepted it and after a restart of the Client there was no window telling me it's still in the cloud of not knowing. Now I will try and see if I can get the fuel and weight sorted out. Haven't flown the 748F model yet and will cross that profile when I get there ...

B748_Profile.jpg

10 hours ago, Terblanche said:

After posting the above I realised there is one more combo that I haven't tried and as true as full moOn tonight, AS accepted it and after a restart of the Client there was no window telling me it's still in the cloud of not knowing. Now I will try and see if I can get the fuel and weight sorted out. Haven't flown the 748F model yet and will cross that profile when I get there ...

Hmm, why do you put an Asterisk (*) at the end of the entries in the Airfile Names? Wildcards are not allowed in this input field. This is definitely wrong. Only the FULL NAME of the respective ".air file is required, written exactly as in the installation used by PMDG. As I do not use the B747-8, I'm unable to see what PMDG uses. It doesn't require multiple entries as shown in your Screenie. Just use the NAME of the *.air file without any pre- or suffixes. See the example for the PMDG B777-200:

airfile.png.deb6577140faaf1d59d7985c39d3297d.png

In this case the entry in the AirFile names field would then be: B777-200LR

6 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

See the example for the PMDG B777-200

Don't know on your side, but on my side of the world this specific B748 from PMDG the *.air file is B747-8I.air and I've tried that first and AS kept saying it could not find the profile until I've changed it to the above mentioned.  I've now edited the MTW and MLW and all seems to work as it should.

I saw in the B747-400 profile that came with default AS that they've entered this, like that in Airfile Names:

b747-400*
ifly744_*
boeing747-400

And I only copied it to the relevant -800 model.

35 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Don't know on your side, but on my side of the world this specific B748 from PMDG the *.air file is B747-8I.air and I've tried that first and AS kept saying it could not find the profile until I've changed it to the above mentioned.  I've now edited the MTW and MLW and all seems to work as it should.

I saw in the B747-400 profile that came with default AS that they've entered this, like that in Airfile Names:

b747-400*
ifly744_*
boeing747-400

And I only copied it to the relevant -800 model.

Yes, I see. To be honest this makes me think about whether we have allowed Wildcards for this entry at a certain stage of development. I have to find out with Urs. It is still a bit difficult to find out what you have done to your B747-8 profile ? Generally spoken you need to create a new profile (maybe based on the old B747-400), change the respective figures (mainly the weights) and then enter ONLY NAME OF THE AIRFILE (B747-8I), as long as the old profile of the B747-400 still exists in your profile collection. No two same Airfile name entries are allowed in two different profiles. Do not carrry over the old Airfile names into your newly created profile if the OLD profile still exists. This would mix up the (internal) index and can lead to the effect that the new entry is not recognized.

So in short: you should have a new profile for the B747-8i, which connects to the PMDB B747-8i through its Airfile name B747-8I, and the old profile for the B747-400, which connects through the above mentioned airfile names to the B747-400.

I would still be interested in seeing your newly created profile.

2 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

Generally spoken you need to create a new profile (maybe based on the old B747-400), change the respective figures (mainly the weights) and then enter ONLY NAME OF THE AIRFILE (B747-8I), as long as the old profile of the B747-400 still exists in your profile collection. No two same Airfile name entries are allowed in two different profiles. Do not carrry over the old Airfile names into your newly created profile if the OLD profile still exists.

Jip, that is exactly how I've done it. Attached are my two profiles for the B748 and B748F and as far as I can see they work perfectly.

B748Fv3.profile.xml

B748v3.profile.xml

22 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Jip, that is exactly how I've done it. Attached are my two profiles for the B748 and B748F and as far as I can see they work perfectly.

B748Fv3.profile.xml

B748v3.profile.xml

You have now exactly the problem that I described above. You have now TWO profiles called up by EXACTLY the same Airfile names ! Of coures ONE of the new profiles will be called up, but EFB will not be able to distinguish between the freighter- and the passenger version. I'm sure that whether flying the freighter or the passenger plane, the EFB v2 status window only shows ONE of the two, but always the same. In your case either Boeing 747-8 V3 or Boeing 747-8F V3, unless you always select the profile manually.

status.png.2b4e3173cb637f199ab63220b8ee66f5.png

To overcome this situation you need to limit the selectable Airfile names to the available names without wildcard, i.e. B747-8I for the passenger variant and (B747-8F? or whatever the freighter's *.air file is named) for the freighter variant. Do not use multiple or wildcard entries if not absolutely necessary!

29 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

To overcome this situation you need to limit the selectable Airfile names to the available names without wildcard, i.e. B747-8I for the passenger variant and (B747-8F? or whatever the freighter's *.air file is named) for the freighter variant. Do not use multiple or wildcard entries if not absolutely necessary!

I've deleted the "wildcard" entries now, only entered the *.air file names and it seems that everything is still working. Will test and try to recreate both with respective *.air file names and see what's the outcome. It is, however, evident that AS is more concerned with what/how you name the Manufacturer, Model, and Series - because, once I've got that correct, AS had no problem to recognise the aircraft automatically. 

49 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

I've deleted the "wildcard" entries now, only entered the *.air file names and it seems that everything is still working. Will test and try to recreate both with respective *.air file names and see what's the outcome. It is, however, evident that AS is more concerned with what/how you name the Manufacturer, Model, and Series - because, once I've got that correct, AS had no problem to recognise the aircraft automatically. 

Profile recognition is SOLELY based on the *.air file name which must be unique, whereas manufacturer etc. are only required but not unique entries.

While looking at the data of your B747-8i profiles I see that you didn't increase the "Parking Min Radius, which should be increased to at least 35 m. I also see that for the Max takeoff weight you used a figure of 442253 kgs, whereas my sources are using 447700 kgs for both -8 and -8F. It's of course still possible that the PMDG manual uses different figures.

2 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

Profile recognition is SOLELY based on the *.air file name which must be unique, whereas manufacturer etc. are only required but not unique entries.

While looking at the data of your B747-8i profiles I see that you didn't increase the "Parking Min Radius, which should be increased to at least 35 m. I also see that for the Max takeoff weight you used a figure of 442253 kgs, whereas my sources are using 447700 kgs for both -8 and -8F. It's of course still possible that the PMDG manual uses different figures.

Thank you Oskar ... I will spend some time the weekend and figure it all out in more detail. In the meantime I've updated the two profile files. At least they work.

B748Fv3.profile.xml

B748v3.profile.xml

36 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Thank you Oskar ... I will spend some time the weekend and figure it all out in more detail. In the meantime I've updated the two profile files. At least they work.

B748Fv3.profile.xml

B748v3.profile.xml

Thank you ??? (sorry, I'm still trying to figure out which one is your first name... excuse my ignorance for foreign names..??)

If you agree, I will publish those profiles in our "Contributions/Profiles" section to make them available for download to the community.

8 minutes ago, Timonier said:

Hi Oskar and Terblanche,

Please find in attach the PMDG747-8 profile I've done for this aircraft and it works perfectly.

Best Regards

Marc

PMDG747-8.profile.xml

Hi Marc,

Thanky for your contribution. I have already added two B748 files into our "Contributions/Profiles" section. You might check in your profile whether it is really suitable to allow a B747-800 operation on Snow or Ice or Soft fields. Snow or Ice in the context of Profile parameters means that it will be allowed to operate in Arctic/Antarctic environment with only runways available on the Ice Shelf ? However as there are most probably no such aiports in the worldwide airport list there is no harm done with such an entry.

• 1 month later...