All Runways in Green for Departure / Arrivals

Glenn H

So I have two options for weather generation in EFB v2.

I can use either Opus FSI (my normal method) or I can use NOAA (real world)

No matter which option I choose to get the weather data, I seem to get all runways highlighted in green for take off and departure even though in this case shown here with a screenshot at EGCC and a valid current Metar the wind clearly favours runways 23R and 23L.

Any idea why this is? Am I missing something. As far as I can tell from the manual, two of the runways should be 'blue' (within limits of aircraft) and two should be 'green' (optimal conditions)

According to Avsim users I should be seeing things differently here.  Hope this screenshot isn't too vague..........

EDIT - Have added EHAM too - All runways shown as 'Green'

EGCC.PNG

EHAM EFB.PNG

The coloring is depending on the tailwind component. You can see that in the example of RWY 09 in EHAM, where the runway gets colored blue. What the threshold values are, depends on your aircraft profile. You can set the corresponding threshold values in the profile editor > cautions with the values "max tail wind" and "caution level".

Ok, so the coloring is aircraft profile specific not what actually makes sense in terms of wind speed and direction?

I find this choice a little odd to be quite honest. Regardless of an aircraft's ability to land with  a tail wind component, the preferred runway would always be one with  a headwind component if it is available.

I guess modifying the parameters as you suggested is always an option here.

29 minutes ago, Glenn H said:

Ok, so the coloring is aircraft profile specific not what actually makes sense in terms of wind speed and direction?

the preferred runway would always be one with  a headwind component if it is available...

What is so odd about that? Each A/C type has it's limits. So at least this part is of course Aircraft Specific. Now whether you want to land with some tailwind rather than flying an approach to the opposite RWY is to some extent your decision. I could give you example of aiports from my real life experience where you would land with up to max. Tailwind Component before they are changing the operational RWY... This said, it is up to you to set the limits to your requirements, including the warning level. Green simply means that the RWY is within your A/Cs limits, with a warning level set at your discretion. This is even in real life a fully legal aspect, believe me.

I fully understand  your argument for the RWY selection but I can assure you that this is only valid for Simulation and even there only if your don't fly online. The rest is taken a out of your decision process as a pilot to some extent. This applies to the last part of your argument - > if available. You can of course always ask for the RWY with headwind, The only question is whether you are give a clearance to that RWY within due time... see above, and I'm not talking about some wish-wash airports of the coutryside...

An aircraft can always be operated within its limits. This also applies to the tailwind component. Whether you want to set the warning level to a lower percentage is purely your decision. The figures used in the default profiles are - as the wording says - default figures and in no way connected  to the Holy Grail ? They are simply based on Real Wold Experience.

2 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

What is so odd about that? Each A/C type has it's limits. So at least this part is of course Aircraft Specific. Now whether you want to land with some tailwind rather than flying an approach to the opposite RWY is to some extent your decision. I could give you example of aiports from my real life experience where you would land with up to max. Tailwind Component before they are changing the operational RWY... This said, it is up to you to set the limits to your requirements, including the warning level. Green simply means that the RWY is within your A/Cs limits, with a warning level set at your discretion. This is even in real life a fully legal aspect, believe me.

I fully understand  your argument for the RWY selection but I can assure you that this is only valid for Simulation and even there only if your don't fly online. The rest is taken a out of your decision process as a pilot to some extent. This applies to the last part of your argument - > if available. You can of course always ask for the RWY with headwind, The only question is whether you are give a clearance to that RWY within due time... see above, and I'm not talking about some wish-wash airports of the coutryside...

An aircraft can always be operated within its limits. This also applies to the tailwind component. Whether you want to set the warning level to a lower percentage is purely your decision. The figures used in the default profiles are - as the wording says - default figures and in no way connected  to the Holy Grail ? They are simply based on Real Wold Experience.

I get all that. I have over 200 hours myself in real world (enough to be dangerous I guess) but I think the misunderstanding comes from the original version of EFB where the procedures would always give you a statement something like "wind favours runway(s) xx".

From the topic on Avsim my understanding was that this had been replaced by the 'green' highlight. Clearly this is not the case as the highlighting only shows if the runway and wind conditions are within limits of the aircraft. It's not been designed to do what I was assuming it was doing based on that toipc over there.