Database Error

Juergen2

I am trying to run EFBv2 with Win10 and P3Dv4.329.25520 and run into the following problem:

after creating the database I get the following message:

"Database creation finished with 0 warning(s) and/or 1 error(s).

I took some screenshots and the error points to a missing "add-ons.cfg" file, which is not in the specified location. I just installed P3D and have not made any modifications yet.

If I than try to connect the Server with the Client, I get an error as seen in the screenshot. The IP address seems to differ in the log-file and the settings menu. The server PC has a fixed IP address and I don't know where the "Desktop-I08L8Q0 comes from?

I was trying to attach a log-file, however I am not sure which one.

Screenshots

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/PK66B0

Thanks for help

Hi Jürgen,

You may ignore this error. If no add-ons (package system) have been installed on your computer, then also no "add-ons.cfg" file is in the folder "C:\Users\P3D\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4". That's ok.

Unfortunately, when I was programming this part of the DbBuilder, I thought that also in this folder a configuration file must be available. But in the meantime I have learned that the "add-ons.cfg" must only be available in "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4".

With next program update this will no longer be logged.

So your database is OK!

56 minutes ago, Juergen2 said:

Hi Jonas,

The file "add-ons.cfg does NOT exist in the directory specified.

Where does the path come from? (what file is looking for add-ons.cfg).

Thanks for help

Just as a sidenote, the "add-ons.cfg" file can be on two different locations in the P3D v4.xx installation. On path is as mentioned here in the documents roaming path, the other is in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. The add-ons.cfg file is the location where add-ons are enteres as so called "packages". This is a new system for adding add-ons introduced by LM with version 3.XX, however only used by add-on developers since V4.xx.

6 minutes ago, Juergen2 said:

Hi Jonas,

Ok on the add-one.cfg error.

However, I can not connect the server with client,  see the screenshots and description in the 1st post (or should I make a seperate post?

Thanks for quick reply

Jürgen,

You have changed the IP address in the Server/Settings/System tab. You should have left it to "any" as proposed by default and even mentioned in the User Guide that it should not be changed. The problem is that you can't  go back to the default "any" setting without manually changing a settings file. I take it that you are using the Client on a networked computer?

Are you familiar with manually editing a text file?

3 minutes ago, Juergen2 said:

Hi,

I guess I can edit a text file with notepad, if that is what you mean.

Thanks for help

Ok, first close Server and Client

then goto the Settings path of the Server: C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB2\Server\Settings in standard installation and look for "serverSettings.txt"

Open this file and look in the [Network] section for the follwing line:

TcpIpAddress = xxxxxxxxxxxx

Whatever it says, replace it by

TcpIpAddress = 0.0.0.0

Save and close the file. Be sure you do not change anything else.

Start the Server. On the Settings/System tab the IP address should now read "any"

Now you can start the Client and connect it to the Server. If you work with a remote Client on a network (still my guess) enter the IP address of the Server Computer rather than it's Name (which would also be a possibility). With Win10 Build #1803 ff names are sometimes not properly published within the network, so the IP address is the better solution.

Hope that helps.

Hi lonewulf47,

I edited the test file -no problem and it worked. I started the client and entered the IP address of the server.

Here is the problem:

I am running P3Dv4 and FSX-SE in a quasi dual boot situation (actually I have one SSD for each simulator and running WIN10) and a SERVER-CLIENT installation for EFBv2. The FSX-SE system and EFBv2 works fine no problems.

So I installed the SERVER on the P3Dv4 drive and am now trying to connect it to the CLIENT (one CLIENT for both simulators) on the remote PC. I entered the IP address of the SERVER as per your instructions (actually identical to the FSX-SE IP address), but the CLIENT is trying to connect to the SERVER without success (the word SERVER remains RED). Both machines run WIN10; 1803 (OS build 17134.228).

Since the FSX-SE drive and EFBv2 works flawless, I have to assume that it has something to do with sharing/access/permissions to the new P3Dv4 drive. Could you tell me what settings I should check?

Thanks a lot for your help

Jürgen,

I don't quite get what you mean by a quasi-dual boot situation. I take it that you have fixed a IP address for your boot partition(s).  If it is a boot from a second partition you must ensure that also this partition has its dedicated IP address. Whether this is the same or not I can't say from my view. It might in any case be worth checking it. If a Client is not able to connect, one of the main reasons is usualy that the IP address is not correct, as long as you didn't change the port numbers. There are not many other reasons possible.

Hi loewulf47,

I guess a pure "dual boot" situation is having separate partitions on one drive with different operating systems. I have two drives with the each having it's own OS.  That's what I meant by "quasi dual boot" system.

Anyhow, I did not know, until your last post, that each OS drive has it's own IP address (makes sense). But as soon as I entered the correct IP address for the SERVER on the P3D drive, the CLIENT connected to the SERVER. So I now have a SERVER on the FSX-SE drive and the P3D drive and both are using the same CLIENT located on a separate PC.

The only thing I need to do (manually) is enter the IP address for either the FSX-SE drive or the P3D drive. It's no big deal, but I was wondering if you know of a more elegant solution to accomplish the same (using the correct IP address dependent which drive I am using). If not, I certainly can live with as is.

Thanks again for your help

To lonewulf47

20 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

Just as a sidenote, the "add-ons.cfg" file can be on two different locations in the P3D v4.xx installation. On path is as mentioned here in the documents roaming path, the other is in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. The add-ons.cfg file is the location where add-ons are enteres as so called "packages". This is a new system for adding add-ons introduced by LM with version 3.XX, however only used by add-on developers since V4.xx.

BTW you are correct, the add-ons.cfg is located in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepard3Dv4.

Sorry to jump in here, but I ask myself all the time why do you use a dual boot? What is the benefit of a dual boot in this situation, especially (if I have properly read your posts) if the same OS is used for both installations?

I also have several simulators on one computer (each simulator has its own partition) but I have no need for a dual boot.

I think you asked me that before, but I asked a “computer geek” what the best way was to have several programs/simulators on one PC . He advised me NOT to use partitions due to inherent problems???  Also my FSX-SE drive is getting close to capacity, so I needed a new drive anyways and was not in.the mood to reinstall and rebuild FSX.That’s more or less why I have a dual boot system. I am not sure now if it was the correct way, but I wanted to avoid problems.

So it is what it is and I can live with it.

Any thoughts on entering the IP address?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Juergen2 said:

To lonewulf47

BTW you are correct, the add-ons.cfg is located in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepard3Dv4.

Yes, Jürgen,

but there is also still one in the old "alternate" path where initially the exe.xml and dll.xml were located (FSX times), which is C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. This is a somehow confusing situation but we need EFB v2 to search both paths inorder to find all installed sceneries. Some of the Add-On developers (e.g. 29 Palms) also place their package into this "alternative" add-ons.cfg" ? This "alternative add-ons.cfg" only shows up if it was used the first time by any developer. Otherwise it is not there. That's why EFB v2 got his hickup creating the database. LM still maintains also exe.xml and dll.xml files in both locations.

5 hours ago, Juergen2 said:

Hi,

I was just noticing that my database builder finished with 1 error.

This is in the FSX-SE version, error: "specified argument was out of range of valid values. ......

Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks

Server_201808191033.txt.zip

It looks a bit weird because the error happened when the DbBuilder was reading a binary file from the navdata files.

One attempt to read these files was successful (2018-08-17 03:21) while the next one (2018-08-19 10:28) wasn't. In both situations it was the same AIRAC cycle. So the question is "what might be different" and why. Is there any tool running which might be the cause for altering these navdata files? I really cannot imagine what the cause for this is. It's also weird that in one case, runway mappings for 707 airports have been created, in the other case for only 623. From the logfile it were the same number of airports and the same AIRAC cycle which should result in the same number of runway mappings. I don't understand this.

Urs,

It got me baffled as well, since as you stated the prior run did not produce any errors. I have nothing else running but the database builder. I attached another logfile after I tried it again just now -with absolute nothing else running (reboot PC and only start DB builder).

The same error occurred -see attached-

Thanks

Server_201808191621.txt.zip

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 1:47 PM, lonewulf47 said:

Ok, first close Server and Client

then goto the Settings path of the Server: C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB2\Server\Settings in standard installation and look for "serverSettings.txt"

Open this file and look in the [Network] section for the follwing line:

TcpIpAddress = xxxxxxxxxxxx

Whatever it says, replace it by

TcpIpAddress = 0.0.0.0

Save and close the file. Be sure you do not change anything else.

Start the Server. On the Settings/System tab the IP address should now read "any"

Now you can start the Client and connect it to the Server. If you work with a remote Client on a network (still my guess) enter the IP address of the Server Computer rather than it's Name (which would also be a possibility). With Win10 Build #1803 ff names are sometimes not properly published within the network, so the IP address is the better solution.

Hope that helps. 

Hi,

I had to reload my OS and therefor also EFB2. I now have a problem connecting to the Client and searched my previous post. I checked the "serverSettings.txt" and CAN NOT find an entry for TcpIp Address in the network section. What I can see is a "TcpPortNumber = 51748" entry. This port number entry is also shown in the Server>Settings>System tab as "TCP Network - Port Number - 51748".

As per previous post should be "ANY"?

Thanks for help