The issue with runways

wellington

As a long time user of EFB v1 I eagerly downloaded the v2 demo to see what had improved.

I like the new look screen and larger map space but what forced me back to v1 was the runways.
I fly mainly GA and have many small ORBX airfields installed, many of which v2 cannot display the runway.
I see this has been discussed previously and the solution seems to be wait for an updated AFCAD file to solve the issue of zero width runways.
EFB v1 displayed the runways perfectly without the need for workarounds. Surely v2 could implement a similar solution, maybe every time a zero runway is encountered then use a default width.

For the moment, I think I'll stick with v1, while it still works.

2 hours ago, wellington said:

maybe every time a zero runway is encountered then use a default width

Also this has been discussed. The problem is, also for ORBX sceneries, that there are sometimes "fake" runways defined. So you would then see runways where none are actually. None of the solutions is perfect. But EFB can't compensate for tweaks on AFCAD files done by the scenery designers.

The easiest solution for your is to get the Airport Designer Editor, fix the AFCAD files in question and copy the corrected file to "Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB2\Server\AFCAD". This is the solution EFB v2 offers to overcome this discrepancies in scenery design.

Just to add on this subject: the present solution was chosen to allow ANY aiport to be properly depicted, regardless of the nature of it's non-compliant BGL. There are airports where NO ground layout is present at all or where it is swiched off when using sloped RWYs (e.g. EGPB Sumburgh Airport by ORBX). So to have a solution which can cope with all possible deficiencies, we have decided to go this way.

And just to add one more thing: it is not our primary goal to let the users do the changes in the BGL. We have created this AFCAD thread in the contributions section to establish a collection of BGLs to be downloadable for every user.

The procedure to get a proper airport depiction is as follows:

First check the AFCAD thread in the Contributions Section whether the airport in question is already published. Then download the corresponding file and use it as described in this section.

If the airport is not yet isted, start a thread in the General Discussion stating which airport is affected (possibly with a screenshot) and we (or maybe at a later stage someone from the community) will create a BGL and we will then make it available for download. We are of course fully aware that not everyone is able to create/adapt a BGL with ADE

7 hours ago, bruceb said:

What is it about v2 that makes this AFCAD work around necessary where it was not needed in V1 and other addons such as LittleNavmap?

Bruceb

See above:

"The present solution was chosen to allow ANY aiport to be properly depicted, regardless of the nature of it's non-compliant BGL. There are airports where NO ground layout is present at all or where it is swiched off when using sloped RWYs (e.g. EGPB Sumburgh Airport by ORBX). So, to have a solution which can cope with all possible deficiencies, we have decided to go this way. "

On 8/22/2018 at 1:37 AM, bruceb said:

What is it about v2 that makes this AFCAD work around necessary where it was not needed in V1 and other addons such as LittleNavmap?

Bruceb

LNM does not read your scenery BGL files so won’t have the problem. But as good as that program is it has no link to Navigraph so SIDS and STARs cannot be displayed.

The problem lies with Orbx and the way they design their AFCADs.