Ear piercing beeps

Dan

I installed the demo version of EFBv2 because I'm considering a purchase.   I did a test flight and any time I get near way points I hear this loud ear-piercing beep.   I'm pretty sure it's coming from EFB because I haven't done anything else to my sim.

How do I stop this nonsense before my head explodes or I go deaf?

3 hours ago, Dan said:

I installed the demo version of EFBv2 because I'm considering a purchase.   I did a test flight and any time I get near way points I hear this loud ear-piercing beep.   I'm pretty sure it's coming from EFB because I haven't done anything else to my sim.

How do I stop this nonsense before my head explodes or I go deaf?

As you might have experienced in your life, nonsense is something that you can't stop...?. The sounds however are of course controllable a) by the loudness control of your computer or  b) on the Settings/Sounds tab, where they can be shut off... A quick search of the Client's Use Guide would also reveal that.

You seem to be under the impression that that I find this amusing or that I'm looking for work-arounds.   I don't; and I'm not.   I'm trying to report a problem.   The default settings of the application have the potential to cause harm or hearing loss to the user.  

I have my audio output routed through a compressor and a headphone amp.   The compressor is in-line specifically to avoid these types of issues.   It shouldn't be possible for me to be startled by sounds coming from my computer.   If your software is emitting sound loud enough to defeat a hardware compressor, then you're either completely incompetent when it comes to sound design or you've deliberately made the sounds that loud.   

If this type of unprofessional and immature response is representative of how Aivlasoft staff conduct themselves, I certainly won't be following through with a purchase.   

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

You seem to be under the impression that that I find this amusing or that I'm looking for work-arounds.   I don't; and I'm not.   I'm trying to report a problem.   The default settings of the application have the potential to cause harm or hearing loss to the user.  

I have my audio output routed through a compressor and a headphone amp.   The compressor is in-line specifically to avoid these types of issues.   It shouldn't be possible for me to be startled by sounds coming from my computer.   If your software is emitting sound loud enough to defeat a hardware compressor, then you're either completely incompetent when it comes to sound design or you've deliberately made the sounds that loud.   

If this type of unprofessional and immature response is representative of how Aivlasoft staff conduct themselves, I certainly won't be following through with a purchase.   

That is not what an audio compressor does, and I am a retired audio engineer. You need a limiter. Just turn it down in windows...PS, I don't work for Aivlasoft, just a happy customer. 

Just now, bobsk8 said:

That is not what an audio compressor does, and I am a retired audio engineer. You need a limiter. Just turn it down in windows...PS, I don't work for Aivlasoft, just a happy customer

That's exactly what my compressor does and was designed to do.    It has a peak limiter built into it.    

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/166xs

Dan,

As a beta tester I did jump when a couple of warning sounds were played. But the solution is very simple. You can select your own wav files for the various events. Just go into settings, choose the Sound tab and identify the actions that play the sounds you don't like.

Go into C:\Windows\Media and identify alternatives. You have to choose ones that are PCM for them to play correctly. Simple solution. :wink:

Sorry gentlemen, I think we are talking about different issues.

Ray, I remember well that you didn't like a few of the standard sounds during betatest (especially the buzzer), but this is not what Dan is talking about. Dan is accusing AivlaSoft of using sounds that have the potential of causing harm or hearing loss to the user. The sounds used in EFB v2 are simple *.wav files and can be found C:\Users\Username\Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB2\Client\Sounds. It should be made unmistakenly clear that those sounds are in no way manipulated in EFB but just played using the normal sound routines of Windows.

8 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

It should be made unmistakenly clear that those sounds are in no way manipulated in EFB but just played using the normal sound routines of Windows.

And where did those sounds come from?   They weren't on my system before I installed your software.    They're in one of your install folders.    If you created the wav files, you can also fix them.

'

EDIT:  Running through that folder now, the sounds are considerably quieter through a media player than they play back through the EFB client.   So you're not simply passing them off to the windows sound system for playback.   

• 3 months later...