Anyone Use EFBv2 For VFR

GAJ52

I'm very impressed with V2 for IFR flying, such a lot of useful information available.  However 50% of my Flight Sim time is VFR where v2 is not so useful due to the lack of detail on the map, unless you fly from VOR to VOR its only really worth using for the Dept and Arr airfield data.  I currently use Little NavMap but would like to use EFB as that's what I use for IFR.

Has anyone found a better way of using EFBv2 for VFR ?

Glen

Well, I think this is more a question whether you do VFR flights or SIGHTSEEING flights. The latter is definitely not what EFB v2 offers, as there is no database for any landmarks or special items around the world. For VFR however you basically need terrain data and a routing, which can be checked against your actual flight path. Setting up a routing is very easy as you can enter any custom waypoint along your route (e.g. some points within a valley, some remarkable cities, airports, airfields etc. That's exactly what you would do on a real VFR flight. You would set up a routing/flightplan on a map with individual legs to be followed by heading/time to reach your final destination and avioding conflicting terrain on the way to your destination.

For easier identification of your final destination (which is not always easy in the simulator) you can even set up a 3, 5 or 8 NM final point of your final destination if required. But that's admittently already going a bit too far for pure VFR flying. Fl<ing overhead the destination airport/field and commencing the pattern from there or from a custom set abeam waypoint is the more convenient and usefeul way. But that's all possible in EFB v2.

Hi Oskar

Many thanks for your reply.

I definitely come under the heading VFR as opposed to 'sightseeing'.   I use a program called Skydemon (payware version) to create the initial flight plan so I can avoid Controlled Airspace, Danger areas etc. and fly over small towns that are not available on the EFB map, trying to plan as close as possible to the real world VFR flightplans.  As Skydemon is a real world planner its not geared up for simming and the only save format I can use is *.gfp (Garmin GTN format).  I was hoping to use EFBv2 as a moving map but can't find a way to get the waypoint detail of Skydemon into EFB.

Glen

• 10 months later...

Hi Glen,

On 8/6/2018 at 5:38 PM, GAJ52 said:

and fly over small towns that are not available on the EFB map

have you already seen that there is a file named 'worldLargestCities.txt' in 'C:\Users\<username>\Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB2\Client\Globe'. This file contains latitude/longitude coordinates of some cities worldwide. This file can be altered according to your needs. To make the cities of this file available on the EFB map just select the map option 'CITY' (see manual "5 EN Client.pdf", page 66).

• 1 year later...

I started to fly with Aivlasoft a few weeks ago and it got me and made me buy it, so that's great.

I used it for my IFR flights online, works perfect!

Today I wanted to start a VFR flight (no not a scenic flight) a real VFR flight.

Around the airports there ar VFR procedures WITH VFR reporting points.

It might be that i'm overlooking them but seen this topic, I dont think the excist in Aivlasoft.

I Have been looking (not very long) to see if there is a file with fixes that I can edit, as far as I can see there isn't.

Is there an other way of manipulating AIvlasoft to show the VFR reporting points of desired airports?

Thanks!

Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Unfortunately there are neither VFR Procedures nor reporting points in the database. The main reason for this is that we are using the worldwide ARINC database, which does not include any VFR items.

We have however introduced in the meantime an additional indiviually adjustable database for POIs, which allows you to maintain your own database for any arbitrary point on earth. Within this database it is realtively simple to define any point with any name and even an approach sector. The example below shows a (purely fictional) reporting point for LSZR North of the airport with a defined approach sector. It's actually not what it is designed for, but still a possibility to add your own individual points on the map..😀 Nevertheless it must also be said that there is no other possibility than using it on the World Map with the Options Button "POI", but maybe still la option.

The file in charge of this option can be found here: "C:\Users\User\Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB2\Client\Globe\pointsOfInterest.txt" The guidelines for adding individual points can be found within this textfile.

LSZR_NORTH.png.23b8302619380c4337a367ffc0703c1a.png