Sadly missing touchscreen v1

Hello, short look through all windows, no time to plan and fly right now.

First impression, great work, real improvement and worth the money.

One minor remark.

Missing the keyboard, although it is only missing, when no dropdown menues available, which mostly are. Missed it, when entering the Airport Codes.
Or did I have overlooked it?   there are keys for the Radios f.e..

Have not set up everything, just tried to create a route. So at least for the airport codes a keyboard has to be used. And one of the major goals when constructing my cockpit was, ban keyboards!

Background:

I have improved my cdu bay, using only one cdu but using the rest for a stripped touchscreen monitorfrom where I make my planning, (EFB, topcat, instructore station and the

lower EICAS - all on the taskbar and can select it from there. I introduced my solution to Boeing, asking for 1mio, no answer so far ! ).

Seriously, at least since most flights are performed solo, this is a real recommendable solution. A second CDU if so could always be placed in the pedastal, reorganizing that. (That#s probably what I forgot to tell Boeing !)

So it follows the inevitable question, will there be  a keyboard with a later update?

Otherwise I would have to look for an other source, able to function on my touchscreen. 
There was one once, but I deleted it unwillingly and since I did not really need it ....

Best regards

Bernd

... and if you evver contact Boeing ......

I am also keyboard and mouse -less with a touch screen. I have even replaced my 10" touch screen (on the inside wall of my cockpit), because it was incapable of providing the miniumum resolution for EFB2 (but was fine with EFB1), with a 13.3" one. But i am having some difficulty with no popup keyboard facility. I will just not be using some of its facilities until that is rectified.

On an side note, the new screen has a default resoltion of 1920 x 1080 -- ridiculous on a 13.3 " screen, with fonts really minute. I set it to run at 1280 x 960 to please EFB2, but the buttons are still too small for easy touch-screen use, so i changed the font size to 125% in Windows.  That helps a lot -- just losing a bit of the right-hand info column.

Pete

Hi Pete,

that´s what I did as well. ith the effect, that the EFB screen is a bit to wide und the lower push buttons are partly hidden beneath the taskbar. But that´s no problem, snce you still can see, what they are used for.

As far as the virtuell keyboard is concened I just found (did not know that), there is one integrated. Am not in the cockpit but think it could work (?).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10762/windows-use-on-screen-keyboard

Systems installed already on tablet devices have the screen keyboard usually already activated. I think, Bernds link points to the right source to activate that option also on systems where an external touch device has been connected. Windows for sure provides the functionality to show the keyboard automatically when a field for text or numbers is selected. And it will also hide it again if you continue and the setting is done that way. Therefore, I think, a separate keyboard as provided in v1 is no longer needed.

Regarding buttons and info column, there should be no issue even when you change the relative font size of windows. The info column width is adjustable, so just drag the divison line there where you like it. And if you don't need to see the task bar (fixed or automatically hidden) anymore, double click on the top part of the EFB window between the name of the active airport and the nav/position information. This will put the EFB window to full screen. Nobody will find out, what system EFB is running on. ;)

2 hours ago, wolkenschieber said:

that´s what I did as well. ith the effect, that the EFB screen is a bit to wide und the lower push buttons are partly hidden beneath the taskbar.

My task bar is normally hidden. Or of course you can move it to a different edge.

As far as the virtuell keyboard is concened I just found (did not know that), there is one integrated. Am not in the cockpit but think it could work (?).

Thanks! I'll certainly try that!

1 hour ago, Mr. ATC said:

Regarding buttons and info column, there should be no issue even when you change the relative font size of windows. The info column width is adjustable, so just drag the divison line there where you like it.

Yes, that's okay., done that.  Oddly though I'm missing the bottom of the right column. Of course I can close items there too, so it isn't a problem, and there's not much I'm missing -- the wind direction relative to the aircraft is partially cut-off, but usable without closing anything. And below that there's only a zoom section.

Thanks for the assorted advice folks!

Pete

Hi Pete,

with the mentioned taskbar I ment that of windows. I am running this Lower EICAS monitor in window mode. So the window taskbar covers in my case the EFB lower taskbar to approx one half. But this realy does not matter. With the pixel size I have differently choosen from the recommendation and the font size of 125% everythind can easily be seen and handled.

If my solution is of any interest (used mnitor etc), I can make somme remarks/photos later (?).

best regards Bernd

with the mentioned taskbar I ment that of windows.

Yes, I know, and I was referring to that. I have it on auto-hide, but also, on two of my cockpit PCs, moved to the top of the screen.. Would that not suit your Lower EICAS? I append an extract from the instructions.

Pete

To move the taskbar from its default position along the bottom edge of the screen to any of the other three edges of the screen:
  1. Click a blank portion of the taskbar.
  2. Hold down the primary mouse button, and then drag the mouse pointer to the place on the screen where you want the taskbar.

img_0139100ip7.jpgHi Pete,

just made my first flight using the full funtionality of the EFB.

The minor problem I had with the windows taskbar is solved, following Jonas advice. I could adjust the EFB window as I needed it. Think it works as it is.

The EFB taskbar is no longer hidden by the windows task bar.

Best regards 

Bernd