Networked client via LAN

Hi,

I run EFB1 with a networked client via a LAN-cable with no internet

access during the connection process. This does not seem to work

with EFB2. I can only connect the client in my WiFi network with

internet access. Is there a way to make it work like with EFB1?

Peter

9 hours ago, Mr. ATC said:

Peter, are you using the trial version or have you bought a licence?

Mr ATC,

I am having great difficulty in accessing the client over a secure LAN with my Wi-Fi  connected. My route files are automatically sent to my user\onedrive folder which is something I like although I have to disable my wi-fi when I boot my two computers so I can set up my LAN connection first, run the client and server so they connect over this LAN and then enable the wi-fi on both my laptop and surface pro. It is recommended to use a wired LAN for the client\server comms but it is not made very easy as most of us utilise a wireless system these days for an internet connection. When I am working away, which is most of my life, using a wireless connection for this link is not secure which is why I like to use a wired LAN. Using EFB1 was quite easy to connect using the above method, but EFB2 is not playing ball all of the time and can be quite frustrating when using this method. I use dedicated IP addresses for each machine but continually have issues with my client not able to see the server, yet I can open up explorer and expand my connected computer all the way to the server folder. I must admit though that Windows 10 is continually difficult to create a small two system network, when I only have a two hour window to connect and fly. I find that, if I don't start my two systems in order, and open up the network in explorer and create the secured network in order, it doesn't work properly. If I see both of my machines in my client explorer window, I can connect. If they appear in my server explorer window, I can't connect. It's a pain in the proverbial!! and I'm not even sure if what I'm doing is correct. Windows 10 doesn't support 'homegroup' anymore so that makes setting up a two system network even trickier!

Like the OP had written, if there was a simple way to latch the wired LAN so it doesn't continually try to connect through the wi-fi link, that would be a lot easier to manage.

I am using the purchased version by the way.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

just went briefly through your post, bacause I had a similar problem, when I first connected my new Win 10 PC in the Win 7 client, which was active with another Win 7 Derver PC in a LAN Homenetwork before.

The problem with Win 10 from a certain version Nr (1803 ?)  is that does not supports Home networks any more. So the Win 10 PC recognizes the Win 7 PC but the other way it does not work. The very simple solution is, to start all networking PC on the Home network basis first and as soon as they are connected among each others, start your Win 10 PC (if this is the problem in your case).

Anyhow fixed IPs of all networking PCs is conditio sine qua non, but you mentioned that.

If my solution work as long as the router is not connected to the internet, I have not checked, because I am always, when flying.

Hope I met your problem and it helps, good luck!

Best regards Bernd

2 hours ago, wolkenschieber said:

Hi Nigel

just went briefly through your post, bacause I had a similar problem, when I first connected my new Win 10 PC in the Win 7 client, which was active with another Win 7 Derver PC in a LAN Homenetwork before.

The problem with Win 10 from a certain version Nr (1803 ?)  is that does not supports Home networks any more. So the Win 10 PC recognizes the Win 7 PC but the other way it does not work. The very simple solution is, to start all networking PC on the Home network basis first and as soon as they are connected among each others, start your Win 10 PC (if this is the problem in your case).

Anyhow fixed IPs of all networking PCs is conditio sine qua non, but you mentioned that.

If my solution work as long as the router is not connected to the internet, I have not checked, because I am always, when flying.

Hope I met your problem and it helps, good luck!

Best regards Bernd

Hi Bernd,

Yes I would gather most users who adopt a small network for EFB2 will suffer using Windows 10, especially after the last upgrade and 'homegroup' now not an option! Both my computers are Windows 10 so I am slightly different from your setup. In fact, I would imagine you have a better chance of securing your network if like you say, you start the connection a certain way. I have a similar problem with Windows 10, in as much as I have to see both PC's in my client explorer window and not the other way around!! Why is that do you think? Why is it with Windows 10, I can only see the devices in one explorer window only?

This is my server network explorer winodw

1405605953_ServerExplorerWindow.thumb.jpg.a0276ea3e7fe9502c71c26c36f1f2f32.jpg

And this is my client explorer window

1022840813_ClientWindow.thumb.gif.0e5b970eee0f5cacc1cf719bfc231fd2.gif

As you can see, my devices appear in this window but not the server window. If I see these in the server window, I cannot get EFB2 to connect at all. yet if I have it seen in this window, it connects okay. I would have thought you should see both devices in both windows wouldn't you?

I'm no expert on this so I'm probably doing something wrong here, perhaps you can help me with this Bernd?

Kind Regards

Nigel

On 7/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, Petermuc3 said:

Hi,

I run EFB1 with a networked client via a LAN-cable with no internet

access during the connection process. This does not seem to work

with EFB2. I can only connect the client in my WiFi network with

internet access. Is there a way to make it work like with EFB1?

Peter

Well, I can't confirm this. I run three Clients of EFB v2 in total, each on a different configuration. One on the server's (and Simulator's) computer, one on a Laptop connected to my private network via WLAN and one connected by a LAN cable to my "big" Simulation machine. Whether internet is available on the network or not has no influence. All four computers are running on Win10 (#1803 build). I have indeed a few problems to setup my former peer-to-peer configuration. So far I haven't got any valid configuration for that. Nevertheless TCP/IP connection of any Client is not hampered by this.

All computers (except the Laptop) are running on a fixed IP address. Only the Laptop is using the DCHC Server's address pool. I have none of the above mentioned problems and can connect each Client any time  to any Server by entering the correct IP address. IHMO all is depending on a proper and correct (fixed) IP address setup.

Hi Nigel,

I am not at all an expert. More or less the opposite.

When trying to solve my network problems, I came across the following article. Unfortunatelley it is in German and I do not know the corresponding specific English Words.

- Go to "Start Menue" and their "Search". Typ "Service" (or Services)

- That should open a new window called something like "Services Desktop App."

- Look for "Functional principel of ressources" (may be the screenshot helps).

- This was set by one of the last updates to Manual and causes the network trouble. Dubble click on Manual, it should change to Automatic.

If this caused your truble it should be solved now.

Good luck

Bernd

Win 10 Netzwerkproblem.png

49 minutes ago, wolkenschieber said:

Hi Nigel,

When trying to solve my network problems, I came across the following article. Unfortunatelley it is in German and I do not know the corresponding specific English Words.

- This was set by one of the last updates to Manual and causes the network trouble. Dubble click on Manual, it should change to Automatic.

Good luck

Bernd

Actually it is not that service, but the one in the next line which would literally translate "publishing of resources". This is the service responsible for publising the Computer's name on the network, as Nigel descriebed it in one of his screenshots. It is one of the unresolved mysteries of Win10 Build #1803 that this service is not set to "automatic". Even more so as if set to automatic it doesn't start reliably each time. It has however no influence on a TCP/IP connection. Publication of resources is important for "normal" networking e.g. for what I'm trying to achieve for a simple peer-to-peer network, but direct acces via IP address is not hampered by this service. I did a few tests with all services shut down. Server/Client connection of EFB v2 worked nevertheless.

3 hours ago, Petermuc3 said:

In my case this might be due to my trial version, so that the server and the client need a internet connection

to start up.

Peter

Peter,

as from the trial's perspective, only the Server requires internet but not the Client. However, from the automatic update's perspective both require internet.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:36 PM, wolkenschieber said:

Hi Nigel,

Good luck

Bernd

Win 10 Netzwerkproblem.png

Thanks Bernd,

I will give that a try. I seem to be having a whole host of connection problems through the wired LAN if I disable my wi-fi NIC. This is such a pain in the proverbial!! You would think you could create a simple two/three system wired network, give it a name, set the IP addresses and subnet, and then save it. When you want to use it again, double click the saved network, accept the prompts for security and bobs your uncle!! What could be easier? But this disjointed convoluted setup, is just so annoying!! ☹️?