First Impressions

Glenn H

Well, I had the demo of V1 a few years ago but decided against purchasing.

Went ahead and purchased V2 straight away this time and after a day of using it I can only say I'm blown away with what this package does. It really is quite fabulous. Well done!

At this point I am  still undecided  about upgrading. Lots of features, agreed, but seems a bit confusing to me.  This is particularly true with flight planning: I still have not generated a flightplan as described in the manual. Going online (with P3d v4 running, aircraft  at a gate) The plan ignores SID and STAR. For example KLAS to KLAX plan is:

KLAS  sid  HEC  star  KLAX. Using all three methods  for planning are about the same result.

Sorry, too many black popups for me.

Had it 3 or 4 days and still have not gotten past planning and actually in the air.

16 minutes ago, cubpilot said:

The plan ignores SID and STAR. For example KLAS to KLAX plan is:

KLAS  sid  HEC  star  KLAX. Using all three methods  for planning are about the same result.

A flightplan/routing never includes SID and STAR. BTW how would you join a SID to HEC and from there a STAR into KSFO? There are no direct connections from HEC to any SID or STAR of the proposed routing.

42 minutes ago, cubpilot said:

At this point I am  still undecided  about upgrading. Lots of features, agreed, but seems a bit confusing to me.  This is particularly true with flight planning: I still have not generated a flightplan as described in the manual. Going online (with P3d v4 running, aircraft  at a gate) The plan ignores SID and STAR. For example KLAS to KLAX plan is:

Sorry, too many black popups for me.

Had it 3 or 4 days and still have not gotten past planning and actually in the air.

Why not use Simbrief for flight plan, and you can import the plan directly into EFB as well as most add on aircraft FMCs and GPS. Takes me about 3 minutes to do a flight plan that way. 

10 hours ago, bobsk8 said:

Why not use Simbrief for flight plan, and you can import the plan directly into EFB as well as most add on aircraft FMCs and GPS. Takes me about 3 minutes to do a flight plan that way. 

+1 The new simbrief downloader (free) has a section for Aivlasoft and the correct flight plan path is shown here (download directory 2) Once you set it up Simbrief will then automatically send the plan to  EFB  and can be retrieved under the "company route tab"

avlasoft.JPG

I normally use SimBrief.  However the "Internet" button on EFB took me to ROUTE FINDER which is also a good source.  The flight plan generated is shown below. Although the plan calls for SID and STAR there is no SID that will admit HEC as a waypoint. 

23 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

A flightplan/routing never includes SID and STAR. BTW how would you join a SID to HEC and from there a STAR into KSFO? There are no direct connections from HEC to any SID or STAR of the proposed routing.

I know there is no SID in this routing. As for "A routing never includes SID and STAR"  there are several programs that DO recommend both runway and SID/STAR.

My intention is not to be negative about EFB 2  and most likely I will buy it.

My point is that (to me) the planning aspect is not nearly as simple as the original EFB....which is still my favorite.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUTE FINDER

Route generator for PC flight simulation use - NOT FOR REAL WORLD NAVIGATION
(C)2005-2007 ASA srl - Italy

NAT: Eastbound track message identification is 211
NAT: Westbound track message identification is 211
NATs: NATU: can't identify fix 5030 (-1)
Computed route from MC CARRAN INTL (KLAS, KL) to LOS ANGELES INTL (KLAX, KL): 3 fixes, 209.4 nautical miles

Cruise altitude between FL100 and FL330
KLAS (0.0nm) -SID-> HEC (100.2nm) -STAR-> KLAX (209.4nm)

Details:

ID      FREQ   TRK   DIST   Coords                       Name/Remarks
KLAS             0      0   N36°04'48.20" W115°09'08.10" MC CARRAN INTL
HEC     112.7  215    100   N34°47'49.26" W116°27'46.51" HECTOR
KLAX           237    109   N33°56'32.98" W118°24'28.98" LOS ANGELES INTL

Tracks are magnetic, distances are in nautical miles.

KLAS SID HEC STAR KLAX

21 minutes ago, cubpilot said:

I know there is no SID in this routing. As for "A routing never includes SID and STAR"  there are several programs that DO recommend both runway and SID/STAR.

My intention is not to be negative about EFB 2  and most likely I will buy it.

Yes, you are right, some programs RECOMMEND RWY and PROC, however think of storing a routing for multiple use. From my own long time experience in the airline business I know that flying the same routing daily for one week you will have used all possible combinations of RWYs, SIDs and STARs for these two airports...? As a consequence it doesn't make too much sense to store procedures.

I like Simbrief, because normally it suggests a Sid and a Star, and if you fly right after  you download the flightplan, before the weather changes, it will work. At least it gives you a waypoint after takeoff and before a star, and then EFB will let you see what sid and star will work for that waypoint. Routefinder , if you check sids and stars, just tells you a SID after takeoff , and a STAR before approach, without telling you a specific Sid and Star name. I just like the way EFB lets you see how each sid and star connects to your flight plan, and even suggests the best choices  from the direction you are flying.