Continuing frustrations of Port 13

chumley

I am using the Demo mode of EFBv2

I have configured a rule for Outgoing Traffic through Port 13.

Whenever EFBv2 is started the pop-up appears on the screen indicated the License is being verified followed by a further message that TCP Port 13 must be open.

I click OK and am presented with a Screen telling me to install DEMO.

I dismiss this screen and try again and more likely than not once more the same path is repeated. 

The most tries to date is five before I am able to progress to the server actually loading.

This is frustrating the heck out of me.

What more can I do other than buy the full license which I don't want to do without being able to fully utilise the DEMO?

Thanks

Andy b

22 hours ago, bobsk8 said:

I got it to work after a couple of tries each time. I flew it for a few hours, decided I liked it and purchased it. As soon as I did that, the problem disappeared. Best sim software I have ever used. 

Appreciate your comment and from what I have read already buying it will resolve the issue.

However, that doesn't solve the issue as to why this occurs.

There are many other applications with a 'try before you buy' offer and they seem to manage the countdown without this amount of fiddling around.

I am a v1 user and when I get the software to operate - 6 fails last evening - it is quite stable and looks good but that is not the point. 

It should work as advertised in Demo mode and it doesn't so either I have done something wrong in the setup or there is something wrong with the coding. The fact it works eventually, after much cursing, suggests to me that my setup is OK and that leaves the other option.

Disappointing that Urs is nowhere to be seen on this issue.

At the present rate of progress my DEMO time will expire and if I'm not happy, and there could be any number of reasons for that,  then I won't be a purchaser.

13 minutes ago, chumley said:

I'm here, no question, and I have already written what I know about it in the FAQs. Additionally I can say that the amount of trial installations compared to the problem reports herein, is telling me that the problem is not related to the software itself, instead of some unpleasant, but mostly local problems. I fully agree that this is annoying and I already have had a look into the code whether it could be approved, but unfortunately it can't be changed without weakening the security.

20 minutes ago, chumley said:

There are many other applications with a 'try before you buy' offer and they seem to manage the countdown without this amount of fiddling around.

I guess they do not check the date externally, only local (which easily could be fooled).

1 hour ago, chumley said:

Appreciate your comment and from what I have read already buying it will resolve the issue.

However, that doesn't solve the issue as to why this occurs.

I am a v1 user and when I get the software to operate - 6 fails last evening - it is quite stable and looks good but that is not the point. 

It should work as advertised in Demo mode and it doesn't so either I have done something wrong in the setup or there is something wrong with the coding. The fact it works eventually, after much cursing, suggests to me that my setup is OK and that leaves the other option.

At the present rate of progress my DEMO time will expire and if I'm not happy, and there could be any number of reasons for that,  then I won't be a purchaser.

I think you will be missing out on a great piece of software, but that is up to you.  The vast majority of sim software I have purchased had no free demos at all. One flight sim on the market today gives you 15 minutes in their demo. 

1 hour ago, aivlasoft said:

I'm here, no question, and I have already written what I know about it in the FAQs. Additionally I can say that the amount of trial installations compared to the problem reports herein, is telling me that the problem is not related to the software itself, instead of some unpleasant, but mostly local problems. I fully agree that this is annoying and I already have had a look into the code whether it could be approved, but unfortunately it can't be changed without weakening the security.

I guess they do not check the date externally, only local (which easily could be fooled).

Thanks for your comments Urs.

I apologise for my harsh words but I have really been frustrated by this issue.

I have it running now and I think I may leave the computer running until the next power failure, an unfortunate and all too frequent problem at this time of the year where I live due to high winds and exposed terrain. :(

On 7/10/2018 at 1:49 PM, chumley said:

I'm in the same boat. No matter how many settings I adjust, each time you start the demo, I'm presented with the same 'Can't connect to server' error. It worked the first two times but since then it's been constantly throwing this error and no settings were changed in between, so what gives? I wasn't a v1 user so I've no experience with the previous product. As a result, out of frustration, I deleted the demo and moved on to other solutions. 

I'll likely give this product a try again if the developers manage to find some other way to let users review the demo but in its current state, I will not be investing any more time and certainly not any funds which is unfortunate as the general consensus seems to be that it's a decent product.

4 hours ago, kakh said:

I'm in the same boat. No matter how many settings I adjust, each time you start the demo, I'm presented with the same 'Can't connect to server' error. It worked the first two times but since then it's been constantly throwing this error and no settings were changed in between, so what gives? I wasn't a v1 user so I've no experience with the previous product. As a result, out of frustration, I deleted the demo and moved on to other solutions. 

I'll likely give this product a try again if the developers manage to find some other way to let users review the demo but in its current state, I will not be investing any more time and certainly not any funds which is unfortunate as the general consensus seems to be that it's a decent product.

Despite my intentions to stay logged in somebody who shall remain nameless and will be unlikely to read this thought I had left the computer switched on by accident and generously logged out on my behalf.

Haven't been able to get back in since so I will sit back until after my upcoming vacation and think about my next step when I return. 

When reading through this and similar threads, I feel that there is a mixup between the initial problem on opening Port 13 and a subsequent problem of getting in contact with the timeserver. Many of you describe that once they were able to connect and thereafter ran into problems reconnecting.

I would like to point to the following:

If you were ONCE able to make contact with the Timeserver and therefore could login as a Demo User, each subsequent (failed) login attempt has usually not to do with the Port 13 access problem, but ONLY with the accessibility of the Timeserver. If the latter cannot be reached, the Login Screen will be presented. There is NO REASON to try to login again! Just cancel the login window and start the Server again. My experience shows that usually after 3-4 attempts the login will be successful. I have tried this several times on different computers and it worked all the time.

Reaching the timeserver is obviously something that is not possible all the time every second and unrestricted. Given the fact that a few billion computers do this daily more than once, it is pretty understandable that there might be problems.

I can confirm Oskar's last post.  I have been using the demo for about 6 days and have experienced what he describes.   Most times it takes at least 4 attempts to get it to recognize me.

But every time I have been able to eventually get the timeserver to see me as a valid demo.  Then everything works from there.

The new features of v2 are super but I do miss a few things from v1.

Jerry

On 7/10/2018 at 7:33 AM, chumley said:

Thanks for your comments Urs.

I apologise for my harsh words but I have really been frustrated by this issue.

I have it running now and I think I may leave the computer running until the next power failure, an unfortunate and all too frequent problem at this time of the year where I live due to high winds and exposed terrain. :(

For me it always but once worked on the 2nd attempt. The exception was a third try to connect. Not a big deal.  

Thanks for this information I was about to give up and stick to V1. I also found it frustrating being able to get it to load the first time and then got the port message when trying to open it again later. Now I know it will work if I try more than once to open the server I will stick with it. I do wonder how many people have just given up.

I have the same Problem.

Only every 10. start of the EFB Server is succesfull. May be the configured timeservers are badly reachable  from Berlin.

In the screenshot you can see, that the timeserver  time.windows.com is reachable.

Port13.PNG.7387720628ccba5928c21002d45b7ba0.PNG

15 hours ago, rzi2001 said:

May be the configured timeservers are badly reachable  from Berlin.

Reaching time servers can be difficult. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. That's a fact. If you 'google' for 'time servers' or 'ntp servers' you will see what I mean

15 hours ago, rzi2001 said:

In the screenshot you can see, that the timeserver  time.windows.com is reachable.

Try to change the name of the server and most probably the result becomes worse. I guess that accessing time.windows.com from a Windows operating system is most probably privileged.

11 hours ago, Mr. ATC said:

The time check is used to verify the validity of the trial licence. For this, you need a realiable/trustable server telling you the current time. This is to prevent abuse (use system time to keep a trial licence alive).

If people really want to keep it alive without paying they will find one. 

Hacks will appear online eventually. Just a matter of time (not limited by an online time server).

5 hours ago, chumley said:

If people really want to keep it alive without paying they will find one. 

Hacks will appear online eventually. Just a matter of time (not limited by an online time server).

Yes, thieves will always be around, unfortunately. 

FWIW - I've signed up on the forum just to see if there was a fix. Thanks to all so far for getting me pointed in the right direction.

I **think** this is indeed Windows Firewall rules - specifically, EFB server hasn't been granted access onto public networks. I think (mods, correct me if I am wrong), when you launch the application, you should be prompted to allow the application over public networks. You've probably all seen the message before, standard Windows prompt.

The fix is super easy, and I have restarted a few times now, first time, every time.

More to the point - if I undo these changes, the Port 13 error comes back.

I've attached a quick (<5 mins) fix for you.

Hope that helps. Would suggest any findings/feedback onto this post for public view. I don't have any more insight into the application or your Windows envrionment than you.

Needless to say, what I'm providing, you're doing all this at your own risk - I'm just providing a fix that has consistently worked for me.

EFB Port 13 Error Fix.pdf

Hi Leo

I think there is no general fix. It all depends on your configuration. Whether you use the Windows firewall or another product, if the network you are connected is set as public or private (this is a classification you can choose). For example on my machine, I use the Kaspersky firewall and have my own WLAN categorized as private. I don't know if the Kaspersky firewall does also react differently to requests on port 13 if the network I use would be set as public. So you see, it really depends on your individual setting.

And still, this is only to open the port 13 in general. If you later also experience the timeout issue with the time server, you might run again into problems.

It's important to understand that there are two different issues, although they may affect each other (repeated connections on port 13 may lead certain firewalls to close or restrict the access again). So just make sure, you don't mix them.

• 3 months later...

After bypassing the virus warning, I also slammed into this port 13 thing.

Not opening any ports for a program when I don't have to. It should be unnecessary, even for the demo.

To much hassle, uninstalling the demo, and checking back later if things have been fixed.

Trond