Sign in to follow this  
Supera380

Alternates - enroute and destination?

Hi,

I have been experimenting with creating a flight plan and so far so good. v2 really looks good.

The Airport layout is much improved as well. You actually get to see the closed runways now!

One small thing is I have not been able to figure out (yet) where to define the alternates for a given route which were available in v1. I had a look in a couple of the manuals including the FlightPlan one and no information appears on how to set these.

Is this feature available in v2 and if so where can I find it?

Many thx

Mark

No, there is no alternate definition possible anymore. The reason why we dropped this is that you can't define a second flight plan while still in an active flightplan (routing). A second thought is that - according to my pretty rich experience in real world flying AND simming, the cases where you would actually divert (and this is valid especially for Simming too...) are extremely rare. And in addition to that the decision, to which alternate you are finally proceeding is a short term decision, done just prior to starting the diversion, and this is not necessarily the initially planned diversion airport.

Nevertheless we might rethink the whole process in conjunction with other enhancements planned for future versions (v2.1 or further).

Hi Oskar,

I understand your point and thanks for explaining the rationale for this not being in v2.

The counter argument is that we are working with the simulator, so for those of us practicing normal and abnormal procedures/ops, diversion planning is part of that learning curve. When Simbrief is able to generate alternates etc it would be nice to have that carried through to EFB. I for one was using this feature in v1.

If it could be re-considered at a future point in time that would be great.

Regards

Mark