Vatsim Traffic

ley

2 minutes ago, Mr. ATC said:

That's true. I was able to partly reproduce the issue. When you see no network traffic when not connected to the network, check if it is loaded after you restart the EFB server. You may then have to wait a few seconds (up to 30), but then the traffic should be displayed. It seems the EFB server sometimes does not switch back to the offline display where you would expect so. I could kind of force it by restarting the server. Would be interesting if that works for you as well.

However I'll do some further analysis and inform Urs about my findings. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for getting back to me. I now have discovered in order to have vatsim traffic on the ground before vpilot connection is start up EFB before and not to connect to simulator, and there it is, this gives me a chance to see if anything is on a stand before i start the sim. once I connect to simulator only then traffic goes. Now when you connect to vpilot traffic is back again working as it should. I hope this is the way should work.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Mr. ATC said:

That's true. I was able to partly reproduce the issue. When you see no network traffic when not connected to the network, check if it is loaded after you restart the EFB server. You may then have to wait a few seconds (up to 30), but then the traffic should be displayed. It seems the EFB server sometimes does not switch back to the offline display where you would expect so. I could kind of force it by restarting the server. Would be interesting if that works for you as well.

However I'll do some further analysis and inform Urs about my findings. I'll keep you informed.

Hi Mr ATC, Yes I have tried this as well and confirmed the same. Hopefully we can fixed this soon.

Just some more thoughts and information in this regard:

1) Traffic depiction BEFORE connect vPilot (or IvAp):

Data is taken and refreshed every 2 minutes from the VATSIM/IVAO online data servers. This is more or less static data and nobody can say how much the time delay is. That means that an aircraft, which is listed in this data download, and therefore will be depicted on the ground map only, might already be at another place, depending on the ground speed of that aircraft. Therefore this way of "looking for traffic" is always just a rough overview.

2) Traffic deptiction WHEN connected with vPilot (or IvAp):

When connected with the network software, the above described 'static' data is no longer available. Now the data is injected into the simulator by the network client software (vPilot, IvAp).

In this situation, the filter criteria from FSUIPC is relevant. If you have the free version, the range is set to 40NM around your aircraft's position. If you have the registered version, you can set the range individually within some limitations. Always check the respective settings in the network client software too.

Always make sure that you "look" at the very same airport in EFB than your aircraft in the simulator is located at. If the airport selection mode in EFB is set to "A" (automatic) then this should be fulfilled, but if the mode is "M" (manual) and you have selected any other airport than the airport where your aircraft (in the simulator) is located, then you most probably will not see any traffic, although all your settings are correct. The range (horizontal and vertical) wherein traffic data is visible, is always related to the AIRCRAFT's position, and not to the currently active airport (except it's in "A" automatic mode). Bear in mind, that EFB is not a traffic viewer like many online websites where you can see all aircraft from a certain network. EFB is trying to show you traffic around YOUR AIRCRAFT.

When opening the Traffic monitor from the Server's "System" menu, allow up to 2 or more minutes until traffic is visible. It depends on the amount of aircraft which is within the range. The more aircraft the more time is required to collect the data.

I flew Vatsim for awhile , don't anymore, but when I did I used Plan G3 for a moving map at the time. One of the features of Plan G was Vatsim traffic. All AI traffic showed perfectly on the Plan G moving map, but I never could see any Vatsim traffic. I tried for weeks to figure out the problem, even posting on the Plan G forum and emailing the developer, installing different versions of Plan G etc. . Never got it to work. I wonder if this is a similar problem with the Vatsim servers.  

Don't think so although all these applications use the same data source. The VATSIM dump exceptionally is not available, but in general it works quite good. It's just important to get the current data servers (file provider) from time to time. Otherwise you may run out of valid sources. This check is done by EFB for sure. I guess also Plan G does it. At least on my computer, this function of Plan G still works seamless.

I suppose my issue is slightly different from the original issue, but just to be clear, I only see Vatsim traffic at most when I'm not connected, and even then it's only sporadically. Right now I'm sitting here watching an aircraft taxi on the ground, and there is no indication.

image.thumb.png.a1a7675ee45385e509f3997f2ebdaa46.png

As you can see in this screenshot, the traffic monitor is showing nothing. For the record, I've had it running for at least 5 minutes (since I parked) and still do not see the traffic. vPilot is run as administrator, and connected to the network. Aivlasoft Client and Server is run as administrator as well as Prepar3d. Nothing on the map.

I never used to have any issues whatsoever on version 1, traffic was always visible on Vatsim there.

Here are my FSUIPC settings since that has been mentioned a few times.

image.png.ff0749eb7a0e1c9a2d56c94236a9aa01.png

Hope this can be resolved soon...

Hi, Yes I have now the same problem. Vatsim sim traffic no issues when connected to vpilot and sim. However vpilot off no vatsim traffic on the ground. If I then disconnect flight sim vatsim traffic is back. Reconnect sim vatsim traffic gone. See if you have the same?

There are two kinds of problem reported. One is the missing online traffic while not yet connected to the network (dump file showing red aircraft) which under reproducable circumstances disappears when it is expected to show traffic. I'm sure Urs will be able to solve this within one of the next updates.

Regarding the issue of not seeing actual AI traffic in the simulator (which is generated by the network client such as vPilot, showing blue aircraft) when connected to the network, I've not yet really an idea about the causal factor.

@Tivec it might be good for us to know what libraries you use to display the network traffic. Maybe this is causing the issue. Can you check if traffic is displayed on the map if you don't use VATSIM, but add some AI traffic directly within your simulator?

1 hour ago, ley said:

Hi, Yes I have now the same problem. Vatsim sim traffic no issues when connected to vpilot and sim. However vpilot off no vatsim traffic on the ground. If I then disconnect flight sim vatsim traffic is back. Reconnect sim vatsim traffic gone. See if you have the same? 

step by step:

Vatsim sim traffic no issues when connected to vpilot and sim. OK, 'no issues' sounds good.

However vpilot off no vatsim traffic on the ground. Also OK, as long as the simulator is still running, but you already have exited vPilot, no traffic is provided anymore.
If I then disconnect flight sim vatsim traffic is back. OK, as soon as the simulator goes off, the static traffic (red) is displayed again.

Reconnect sim vatsim traffic gone. OK, because only the simulator is running, but obviously vPilot not yet

Sorry, but overall I don't see the problem.

1 hour ago, Mr. ATC said:

@Tivec it might be good for us to know what libraries you use to display the network traffic. Maybe this is causing the issue. Can you check if traffic is displayed on the map if you don't use VATSIM, but add some AI traffic directly within your simulator?

• I am using BVAI as my traffic library.
  • I can see Vatsim traffic on ground *sometimes* when disconnected. Not this time.
  • Logged in on Vatsim, saw no traffic in EFB, had one aircraft on a stand on the other side of the terminal.
  • Waited ~5 minutes in hopes it would show up.
  • Disconnected from Vatsim, and added AI traffic.
  • AI Traffic shows up correctly.
  • Removed AI traffic, they go away properly
  • Connected to Vatsim, the aircraft on stand showed up

image.thumb.png.452cabf4eaf6ad6033df913aca71cfd4.png

This is extremely inconsistent, and it makes this functionality hard to trust. Is the the airport empty, or does it actually have traffic?

The same goes for in the air. Yesterday I departed from LPPR and had three aircraft showing as on approach, but not moving. Checking Vatspy, they were not present in the area, and no aircraft showing in the simulator... It's just very inconsistent.

23 minutes ago, aivlasoft said:

step by step:

Vatsim sim traffic no issues when connected to vpilot and sim. OK, 'no issues' sounds good.

However vpilot off no vatsim traffic on the ground. Also OK, as long as the simulator is still running, but you already have exited vPilot, no traffic is provided anymore.
If I then disconnect flight sim vatsim traffic is back. OK, as soon as the simulator goes off, the static traffic (red) is displayed again.

Reconnect sim vatsim traffic gone. OK, because only the simulator is running, but obviously vPilot not yet

Sorry, but overall I don't see the problem.

Ok, my understanding was start sim and EFB, I would see vatsim traffic( if any at that time on stand )before I would select my A/C to a stand as not take someone stand. 

The only way for me to do this Is start up EFB check red A/C see who on stand. Then start up sim and position my A/C on a vacant Stand.(at this point red A/C gone)

what I don't understand is why I can not have the sim running in order to see vatsim red traffic. If I want to go to another airport within the sim I have no idea who might be on stand as the only way to achieve this is shut down sim check EFB map to see first. I wonder if other have this problem.

regards.

@Tivec was there other network traffic on the airport you saw in the simulator? Otherwise everything seems to work as it should.

27 minutes ago, ley said:

If I want to go to another airport within the sim I have no idea who might be on stand as the only way to achieve this is shut down sim check EFB map to see first.

This is just difficult to determine as there is no information whether the network client is connected or not. So neither the sim, nor FSUIPC nor EFB does know if network traffic (which looks on the interfaces not different from AI traffic generated by the simulator itself) is "injected" yet. To prevent overlay of "blue" and "red" targets, the "red" traffic is removed as soon as the simulator is detected to be running.

1 minute ago, Mr. ATC said:

@Tivec was there other network traffic on the airport you saw in the simulator? Otherwise everything seems to work as it should.

That's just the issue - it is not consistent. I *sometimes* get traffic, sometimes not. It's just very moody. If you read my post above, I logged on to vatsim, there was *no* traffic on the EFB, but I could clearly see one aircraft in the simulator. I then disconnected, it did not show up as "red" traffic (but that's probably because the sim was running, as per the above comment from @ley). Next time I logged on Vatsim, it properly showed up. This is inconsistent. VERY inconsistent.

Thanks. Before I purchased this add on I had FS flight control, not once did I have any of the above problems. I was able to see who was on stand before I would go there. I still think EFB has a few teething problems. 

It's most probably a question of the interface as EFBv2 is now using FSUIPC to get this data. EFBv1 and FS flight control both work with SimConnect. Both interfaces have advantages and disadvantages. But FSUIPC was chosen for good reasons. I'm sure there is a way to get also the AI traffic data more consistent. However it may need some time for investigation as it is limited to a few users only whereas it works flawless for others.

1 minute ago, macbrowndog said:

Since the latest server update all AI traffic is missing... All AI traffic was working fine before the latest update

Any suggestions?

Andrew

I did the latest update and have AI traffic. 

From what i have found after setting everything up with administrator rights is when i start EFBv2 i see the traffic on the ground at whtever airport i choose , the traffic is in red, then i start P3Dv4 and the traffic dissapears from EFB, i start vpilot ans still no traffic on EFB even though i can see it on the ground in the sim, now i close EFB server and reopen it and viola the traffic reappears on EFB client. Dont know if this helps but it is the way it is working for me.

yours

Kevin

3 hours ago, kevinark said:

From what i have found after setting everything up with administrator rights is when i start EFBv2 i see the traffic on the ground at whtever airport i choose , the traffic is in red, then i start P3Dv4 and the traffic dissapears from EFB, (@ley same for me) i start vpilot ans still no traffic on EFB even though i can see it on the ground in the sim, (@ley I have traffic)now i close EFB server and reopen it (@ley No change here) and viola the traffic reappears on EFB client. Dont know if this helps but it is the way it is working for me.

yours

Kevin

18 hours ago, macbrowndog said:

Seems to be working now... Had to run server with Admin rights. (even thou I am Admin)  strange that I never had this problem before

Andrew

Page 4 in Server Manual, in a Box marked IMPORTANT "Always start the sever with Full Administration Rights". 
"

After many tests yesterday we could find one situation which prevents the traffic to be displayed. This bug is not only related to online traffic (VATSIM/IVAO), but also for the simulator's internally generated AI traffic, and/or externally generated traffic by other add-ons.

Situation, where traffic is not displayed:

If the EFB Server once has been connected successfully with the simulator and traffic was provided already (even if this was only for a few seconds) and you then restart the simulator only, while the Server is continuously running, then the Server will not get back in the state where it provides traffic, although it reconnects with the simulator and own aircraft data is provided properly.

Workaround (until next update of the Server will be available):

If you restart your simulator, while your EFB is already running, you also have to restart EFB.

My issue is slightly different from most of this thread.  I DON"T fly ONLINE so the AI traffic is created by My Traffic Pro with P3Dv4.2.

I am a long time EFBv1 user and never had problems with traffic showing on the moving map.  With v2 most flights I have made with the demo have not shown the AI traffic at all, both on the ground and in the air.

I am on a flight right now which had no traffic on the ground and nothing once in the air also.  I checked all the issues mentioned as a fix in this thread to see if anything would help.

I run all sim programs As Admin, I have the paid version of FSUIPC and I have just changed the altitude for traffic to 9999 for both above and below to test.  Both traffic boxes on in the client map are activated.  Nothing showing in the traffic monitor either.

There have been other flights where the traffic was working but it seems to be off more than on in my case.

Today I saw the note about restarting the EFB server and when I did that mid-flight the traffic showed up for the first time on this 1 hour flight and continued to show for the rest of the flight.

I just wanted to confirm this is more than just a VATSIM issue.

Hopefully the next update will solve this missing traffic issue.

PS, I love the terrain mapping added to v2.

Thanks,

Jerry