Client on network PC cannot connect to Server PC

Hello,

I raise this topic here as I also send support ticket yesterday, but anyway maybe some expertise is within the forum to help.

I'm a former user of EFB1 and when Microsoft came with spring creator update onto build 1803 I had huge issues to setup the network (no homegroup anymore) to work again properly. But I succeed and EFB1 has worked fine without any issue.

I installed EFB2 according to instructions and server works as it should be. When I start the client on the other PC, there is no connection to the Server PC. I checked the IP adress and it is OK. Client never come up to work without connection to server. In the instructions I can read somthing like all PC's in privat network should have same IP adress, but from my understanding each machine is with it's own IP adress. I know from discussion that within MS Win 10 network the  folders must be seperatly approved for access by another network computer. But I have no idea which certain folder EFB2 client is aiming to connect.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

BR

Andreas Hövel

18 minutes ago, Simpilot1 said:

Hello,

I raise this topic here as I also send support ticket yesterday, but anyway maybe some expertise is within the forum to help.

I'm a former user of EFB1 and when Microsoft came with spring creator update onto build 1803 I had huge issues to setup the network (no homegroup anymore) to work again properly. But I succeed and EFB1 has worked fine without any issue.

I installed EFB2 according to instructions and server works as it should be. When I start the client on the other PC, there is no connection to the Server PC. I checked the IP adress and it is OK. Client never come up to work without connection to server. In the instructions I can read somthing like all PC's in privat network should have same IP adress, but from my understanding each machine is with it's own IP adress. I know from discussion that within MS Win 10 network the  folders must be seperatly approved for access by another network computer. But I have no idea which certain folder EFB2 client is aiming to connect.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

BR

Andreas Hövel

Andreas,

There is no need to address any network folders in EFB v2. One single IP address will serve the connection. It sounds a bit strange to me that you are talking about  all PC's in a network should have the same IP address. This is certainly and definitely NOT the case. To connect the Client it is only necessary to point the client to the Server's PC (IP address of the Server's PC). As you correctly mentioned networking within Win10 became kind of a PITA with the Spring Update 1803, this however does not affect EFB v2's function over the LAN. The correct IP adress will do. Communication is done over TCP/IP. Due to these issues with the 1803 build it may become necessary to use the IP address rather than the PC name, as even proper promulgation of PC names is sometimes hampered by this new 1803 build. With the IP address we have never seen any connection problems so far.

11 minutes ago, Simpilot1 said:

Don't get me wrong I'm wondering myself how to understand what is mentioned in the EFB2 Installation handbook regarding Network and IP adress.

I will try your recommendations and see how it comes to work.

A network address (IP address) consists of 4 numerical groups. The first three should be identical while the last group will address the individual PCs (indicated by "nnn", a 3-digit number ranging from 0 to 255), thus allowing 256 computers to be connected to your network. That should be sufficient ?

In other words: IP adresses can range from (in this example) 192.168.100.0 to 192.168.100.255

The only thing you need to know is the IP address of your server's computer. you don't have to care for the rest. This is cared for by your router, otherwise the network would not work either. Most probably the IP address of your Server's computer starts with 192.168...  Just find the IP address of your server's computer and enter it into the address window in the Client's setup. That's all.