ROUTE PROVIDER

There is only one that I see but this route provider does not work for me as it always shows an error concerning too many connections.  I've googled the issue and have seen posts about this not pertaining to this program.  I take it my region may be blocked for using the system (USA).  For now I use flightaware or simbrief to grab a plan.

Sean Green

1 hour ago, daveebee said:

Hi ,Abit of confusion here, I select 'create route' and see 'select route provider' there is one called 'route finder in a box' . Question.... Is that the only one in this program? I seem to recall that there was more in v1?

In EFB v1 there was also a link for VATROUTE, but unfortunately VATSIM has withdrawn this service. So ATM the only free planning service (to my knowledge) is RouteFinder.

While I agree that SimBrief is a comfortable means of flightplanning, we will not integrate it into EFB v2, as SimBrief requires a valid subscription for Navigraph to get the actual AIRAC cycle. Otherwise only planning on outdated AIRAC cycles is possible. We do not support single source solutions. That's also why EFB v2 offers both Navigraph AND NavDataPro as AIRAC source.

18 minutes ago, Timonier said:

Oskar,

Sorry to disturb you but Navigraph offers an airac cycle for Simbrief aswell as for PFPX so I don't understand your answer

Best Regards

Marc

?

yes, of course they do, they also offer (as well as NavDataPro) an AIRAC cycle for the basic installation of EFB v2. But as you might have heard many simmers are nowadays using the most recent AIRAC cycle (as in real world aviation), thus you need to activate the most recent AIRAC cycle (e.g. the actual cycle being 1807, whereas the free Cycle in SimBrief is 1703 or so) also in SimBrief, and this is only possible by a subscription from Navigraph, and ONLY from Navigraph. Hence the restriction for us referring to single source.

1 hour ago, hpr said:

Maybe http://www.vroute.net/ might be worth looking at as well?

We (vacc.ch) try and keep routes from and to LS** up to date there.

Speaking personally, I'd love to see an import button from there, I', quite sure, Michal would help building an interface, if needed.

I purchased this about 6 months ago. Tried using it, never found good routes where I was flying. Gave up on it and went to Simbrief which is free. 

I agree that Simbrief is a very good briefing tool. However the routes provided are just what any user before proposed as his routing (I confirmed that from the platform provider). So in fact, any routing. You will always need to run the NMOC validation (which was called CFMU before and is still in Simbrief). This might make route finding rather a challenge sometimes. But at least, you have then a valid route. And this is exactly what vroute provides. If no valid routing is known for a certain origin/destination pair, someone has to find one and can add it to the vroute database so everybody can profit from it. Therefore, I also would vroute give a try.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:33 PM, lonewulf47 said:

yes, of course they do, they also offer (as well as NavDataPro) an AIRAC cycle for the basic installation of EFB v2. But as you might have heard many simmers are nowadays using the most recent AIRAC cycle (as in real world aviation), thus you need to activate the most recent AIRAC cycle (e.g. the actual cycle being 1807, whereas the free Cycle in SimBrief is 1703 or so) also in SimBrief, and this is only possible by a subscription from Navigraph, and ONLY from Navigraph. Hence the restriction for us referring to single source.

When using SimBrief you can save a plan in .rte format. You need that format to get the plan into PMDG's FMC. V1 of EFB  allowed you to save the plan in .rte format. I got V2 working pretty good but it doesn't see the PMDG 747f on the ground at KMCO where I put it when I started FSX_SE. I'm still getting used to EFBv2. You certainly can get Navigraph Airac cycles. when I first built a database in EFBv2 it asked where I wanted to store my flight plans. Of course I browsed to   PFilesx86\Steam\steamapps\common\PMDG\FlightPlans\747. I see no way to do that in the flight plan docs in the display unit. There has to be a way to get .rte format plans into EFBv2 or save in both .rte and .pln?

If not I don't know if EFBv2 is usable for me.

Regards

BaldyB

1 hour ago, BaldyB said:

When using SimBrief you can save a plan in .rte format. You need that format to get the plan into PMDG's FMC. V1 of EFB  allowed you to save the plan in .rte format. I got V2 working pretty good but it doesn't see the PMDG 747f on the ground at KMCO where I put it when I started FSX_SE. I'm still getting used to EFBv2. You certainly can get Navigraph Airac cycles. when I first built a database in EFBv2 it asked where I wanted to store my flight plans. Of course I browsed to   PFilesx86\Steam\steamapps\common\PMDG\FlightPlans\747. I see no way to do that in the flight plan docs in the display unit. There has to be a way to get .rte format plans into EFBv2 or save in both .rte and .pln?

If not I don't know if EFBv2 is usable for me.

Regards

BaldyB

The Simbrief Downloader, with one click, will install your plans into the PMDG FMC and EFB2 as well as many other aircraft FMC's at the same time. 

2 hours ago, hpr said:

... but then, we have to admit that vroute is (afaik) focussed to Europe. Maybe that's the difference...

I wouldn't say so. It also largely depends on the user groups using this service and maintaining valid routes. But you can find routes there from all continents.

11 hours ago, bobsk8 said:

I purchased this about 6 months ago. Tried using it, never found good routes where I was flying. Gave up on it and went to Simbrief which is free. 

I have not been flying for some time. I got stage 4 cancer,don't pity me! I was on chemo pills that had me in a fog. they didn't work for long. I told the doctor quality of life means more to me than living a few extra years in a fog. I declined the chemo trip and feel 1000% better. Back to getting setup with flying on line again. Building cabinets again on the side!  I got EFBv2 working pretty well, with EFBv1 I could get a FLP into PMDG's FMS in .rte or rte2. I now know you can do it with EFBv2.

I just got done going over SimBrief  after a long period of time. IMHO Simbrief is the best flight planer going. I bought TopCat and it works perfect. Soimbrief does the same thing as far as I can see. If you leave most of the flight plan parameters on Auto it calculates many things like block fuel etc. I bought the package of TopCat and PFPX and PFPX wont work, when you run as Administrator it wants to reinstall itself over and over again, including with it's update file. SimBrief does a great job with ETOPS and everything else i can see. So, it\s SimBrief for me.

Some things have changed in a few short years.

Regards

BaldyB

Just want to add about 'Vroute', I've never used this until I saw it mentioned here by ATC guy. So I downloaded it to give it a try.  VERY, good indeed. Take the routes into PFPX and they validate straight away, some need a small tweak to get thought EuroControl, but spot on and quicker.

Yes, it does cover Europe, USA and other parts of the worlds. 

SimBrief issue for me is their routes will not validate without a lot of work

Highly recommended

I have checked out the freeware version of vroute, however I see - if I'm correct - that vroute is a route DATABASE not a route PLANNER, almost exclusively for airline operations.  So it is unuseable for short GA IFR flights. I've done soo many flights of the "first kind". My main purpose - at least 75% - of simming today is flying short routes in adverse weather from airports that noone would ever fly to ? It's "back to the roots" for me. Airline flying was great at times, but now it's boring...?

In that context vroute is of no help for me - except if the payware version would be a real PLANNER - competing with PFPX.

57 minutes ago, alpha117 said:

Just want to add about 'Vroute', I've never used this until I saw it mentioned here by ATC guy. So I downloaded it to give it a try.  VERY, good indeed. Take the routes into PFPX and they validate straight away, some need a small tweak to get thought EuroControl, but spot on and quicker.

Yes, it does cover Europe, USA and other parts of the worlds. 

SimBrief issue for me is their routes will not validate without a lot of work

Highly recommended

Not True at all . Just hit the CFMU validation in Simbrief with one click. 

25 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

I have checked out the freeware version of vroute, however I see - if I'm correct - that vroute is a route DATABASE not a route PLANNER, almost exclusively for airline operations.  So it is unuseable for short GA IFR flights. I've done soo many flights of the "first kind". My main purpose - at least 75% - of simming today is flying short routes in adverse weather from airports that noone would ever fly to ? It's "back to the roots" for me. Airline flying was great at times, but now it's boring...?

In that context vroute is of no help for me - except if the payware version would be a real PLANNER - competing with PFPX.

I tried using Vroute for short routes for weeks, and finally just gave up. Useless to me for short routes.