Import Company Routes

With any new (major) update of a program, the learning curve is steep when so much have changed.

There are so many things I miss from the previous version.

• The export flight plans was such an important function
  • The airport layout on screen and visibility of AI traffic was much more 'cleaner'
  • Wind direction in top left was handy while you now have to search for the blue arrow

BUT it's the small things like ...

I'm trying to import a flight plan but COMPANY ROUTE in CREATE FLIGHT PLAN is greyed out (??) What do I have to do to be able to see and import a flight plan?

PS: I can see the improvements but for now it's a frustration and although I have Navigraph/charts AivlaSoft EFB has always been my preferred route planner and display especially because I run it from a second computer via network but at this stage I'm pondering the fact if the $60 (900 ZAR) was worth it if we've lost the key functionality of what it used to do?

Regards from Cape Town

Terblanche

40 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

What do I have to do to be able to see and import a flight plan?

The tab "Company routes" and "Internet" are greyed out while the aircraft is airborne. Only when you are 'on ground' you can select from these tabs.

Basically the content of the "company routes" is blank, as long as you have not yet saved a newly created route.

You may also use the old EFB v1 flight plans. Please see the manual "1 EN Installation.pdf", chapter 2 "Stepping up from version 1".

I've figured out that the tab becomes visible/active when P3D is loaded, which is a pity because it would be nice to load and/or edit the flightplan regardless if flightsim is running.

I also noticed that in one flight the AI is visible on the ground or air but as I'm flying now, there are no AI visible either on the ground or air while my ND is full of AI. Nothing has changed in the P3D / FSUIPC settings and the TRFC tabs are all green.

Feeling a little bit bewildered because I know v1.* inside out and now I'm flying with P3D4 on one screen; EFB on another computer; MCDU on iPad and manuals on tablet ... but I suppose I'll get there ... hopefully sooner than later. ?

16 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

I've figured out that the tab becomes visible/active when P3D is loaded, which is a pity because it would be nice to load and/or edit the flightplan regardless if flightsim is running.

That's not true. The availability of the tab "Company routes" and "Internet" has nothing to do whether your simulator is running or net.

The problem that you have experienced is, that your aircraft was airborne, when you exited EFB. The state of your aircraft will be saved and therefore your aircraft "remains airborne" even if your simulator is no longer running. It is good practice to land an aircraft before you quit EFB.

20 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

I also noticed that in one flight the AI is visible on the ground or air but as I'm flying now, there are no AI visible either on the ground or air while my ND is full of AI. Nothing has changed in the P3D / FSUIPC settings and the TRFC tabs are all green

Did you verify that all these aircraft are within the vertical and horizontal range that allows EFB to display them? Please also see the Client settings, tab "Aircraft" where you can see the height of the "band" (default is +/- 5000 ft of your aircraft's altitude).

1 minute ago, aivlasoft said:

The problem that you have experienced is, that your aircraft was airborne, when you exited EFB

Ah, you're right because since P3D4.3 I've experience quite a few CTD without warning or reason and last night was one of them ...  would be nice if EFB could reset (as before) when this happens.

7 minutes ago, aivlasoft said:

Did you verify that all these aircraft are within the vertical and horizontal range that allows EFB to display them?

Jip, at the moment it's 9000/-9000 ... I've just landed and LSZH and there are aircraft all around me but nothing on the EFB display.

Please forgive all my questions - but is there a way to get estimate TOD back on the right column that displays status etc or did I miss it between settings and manual?

2 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Jip, at the moment it's 9000/-9000 ... I've just landed and LSZH and there are aircraft all around me but nothing on the EFB display.

On your next flight, please open the "Traffic monitor" from the Server's "System menu". There you can see the outcome from FSUIPC.

3 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

but is there a way to get estimate TOD back on the right column

The distance to the TOD is still displayed, but not the time. For a proper calculation of the TOD it would require to have performance data for each of the aircraft.

4 hours ago, aivlasoft said:

On your next flight, please open the "Traffic monitor" from the Server's "System menu".

Nothing in the Traffic Monitor ... and FSUIPC 5.132 installed ... and NO LIMIT [0] set ...

Last night I could see the AI traffic but nothing today

:roll:

6 minutes ago, aivlasoft said:

Are you running any other add-ons which are also requesting simulator/AI Traffic data via FSUIPC?

I'm not sure if PMDG, FSLabs, MadDog, Q400 etc get their TCAS via FSUIPC but no other program shows/requires AI.

I've now closed and reloaded server and client and now AI is back. Never had a prob with v1 ... 

... will you consider bringing back the same aircraft symbols for own aircraft and AI as well as aircraft type in the AI info box and their dep/arr because I've been through all manuals now but I'm see the Greek alphabet by now after a whole day trying to figure out what is where in the new UI.

I'm also still searching for the TOD display with no luck.

1 hour ago, Terblanche said:

I'm also still searching for the TOD display with no luck.

For this part see the User Guide "Client", chapter 8.3 Vertical Guidance. Top Of Descent and Vertical Guidance are controlled from within the A/C profile. See also User Guide "Client", chapter 12.2 Profiles Editor..

On 7/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, lonewulf47 said:

For this part see the User Guide "Client", chapter 8.3 Vertical Guidance. Top Of Descent and Vertical Guidance are controlled from within the A/C profile. See also User Guide "Client", chapter 12.2 Profiles Editor.

Finally I have another day to fly and learn EFB v2 ... I've also read the relevant chapters that you referred to and it will take time to find the correct setting per aircraft because as it is the TOD and descent rate do not correlate with the aircraft's even at a 1.2° descent in profile settings. But I'll figure it out.

16 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Finally I have another day to fly and learn EFB v2 ... I've also read the relevant chapters that you referred to and it will take time to find the correct setting per aircraft because as it is the TOD and descent rate do not correlate with the aircraft's even at a 1.2° descent in profile settings. But I'll figure it out.

Using Vertical Profile does only make sense if you don't use it on an A/C with FMC. You will never see correlation between an FMC descent and an EFB v2 descent. That's not the basic idea. That's also the reason why we deactivated the Vertical Profile for A/C with FMC/FMS. It simply doesn't make sense to use EFB's TOD if it is alreeady generated by the FMC/FMS. It is meant to be an addition to non-FMC A/C, not a comparison to FMC A/C

52 minutes ago, lonewulf47 said:

It is meant to be an addition to non-FMC A/C, not a comparison to FMC A/C

I know, I know ... it's always just a reference and not part of our instrumentation when it comes to the big birds with electronic feathers ...

:-)

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, aivlasoft said:

It is good practice to land an aircraft before you quit EFB.

It's certainly good practice to land before you leave an aircraft. But this is a simulator.

I can quit the sim (and save a situation) before landing, so why can I not quit EFB2 in any situation the flight was in?

And reload the situation later? EFB2 seems to be a bit patronizing here.

Would an option "save the flight situation?" make sense.

I certainly liked the possibility to look at a saved flightplan without the sim running in the background.

16 hours ago, agutz said:

It's certainly good practice to land before you leave an aircraft. But this is a simulator.

I can quit the sim (and save a situation) before landing, so why can I not quit EFB2 in any situation the flight was in?

And reload the situation later? EFB2 seems to be a bit patronizing here.

Would an option "save the flight situation?" make sense.

I certainly liked the possibility to look at a saved flightplan without the sim running in the background.

I'm not sure what ou mean. You can of course quit EFB v2 any time you like. It will maintain the last A/C position and - if on a Flightplan - a copy of your routing. Whenever you chose to continue the flight, EFB is with you again. The main theme of this thread discusses opening a Flightplan (Routing) if the last position within EFB v2 was NOT on ground. That's a bit different. One situation is about continuing a flight, the other is about beginning a new one.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, aivlasoft said:

The main theme of this thread discusses opening a Flightplan (Routing) if the last position within EFB v2 was NOT on ground.

Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly: Why does my aircraft "remain airborne" after I quit EFB"? That's new in EFB2, in EFB1 it didn't.

5 hours ago, agutz said:

Why does my aircraft "remain airborne" after I quit EFB"? That's new in EFB2, in EFB1 it didn't.

This was one of the feature requests from several users.  EFB v2 automatically saves its state, which means saving the flight plan after each change, and saving the aircraft's state (position, altitude, ...). This way you can easily save your flight in the simulator, then quit EFB and the other day you can start the simulator, reload your flight and start EFB. Everything is then synchronized.

36 minutes ago, aivlasoft said:

This was one of the feature requests from several users.

Pardon my ignorance ... but are there actually people who save a flight in mid-air and then resume it on a next start up? And I'm sure that with v1 it was also possible to load a previous flight plan and then, wherever you are in the world v1 picked it up and you could fly to your heart's desire. The new method in v2 simply doesn't make sense. But maybe that's just me ...

36 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

Pardon my ignorance ... but are there actually people who save a flight in mid-air and then resume it on a next start up? 

You would wonder how many do that ? I've been wordering about that too, but finally I have given up and just believe it... I have quite some experience In testing complex Add-On aircraft and I wouldn't remember one single aircraft where proper saving of all items for an inflight break had not been a major concern ?

I seem to be one of those strange species who save a long flight midair and pick it up the next day.

(I do it with PMDG planes and never had any "major concern", )

And sometimes - believe it or not - I abandon a flight midair.

No problem In EFBv1. V2, to me, seems to have developed a slightly educational approach (Eat up your plate!)

So, straightforward question: How do I "kill" an abandoned midair flight?

2 hours ago, agutz said:

I seem to be one of those strange species who save a long flight midair and pick it up the next day.

In the 22 years that I've been simming, I've never ever, even considered the possibility to stop-exit-startup-resume a flight in mid-air ... maybe because I'm also a pilot and the whole idea has never crossed my mind. ? I will not even know how to do it with a PMDG, Q400 or A320 in the sim because all of them are set on a cold-and-dark default state on my rig.