Thoughts on v2

Clorix

Ok. So to clarify. I do fly online (and also control), as you can see in my signature. But there is also during busy events a good chance you realize what will be your next frequency listening at transmissions to other pilots. So what I'm trying to say here is that you can already guess your next frequency when listening to the frequency before you get your actual frequency chance. But also then and even with the display of v1, especially during events with high traffic and additional stations on, your guess and also the one from EFB can be wrong. Depends a little bit in what area you fly, respective what call signs the controller use (which makes it easier or more difficult for the algorithm to propose the next frequencies).

Please understand that my statements are personal and not necessarily reflecting the developers intentions. As a beta tester I clearly see myself not as a developer, but more as a provider of ideas. Because I have very few if any experience on v1, I'm generally less comparing to what was before, but more trying to find out, what information is relevant and when it is needed.

So, instead of just blocking my attempt to find out, what bits of information are the relevant ones, help me with it. Keeping the view "everything was better before" will never bring a real development.

I think from the number of complaints on this issue ( One so far) it is not something that is a major concern for EFB 2 users. I flew Vatsim for a couple of years, and frankly never had any issues with getting frequencies to switch to, which is pretty much the same in real life. If you miss a freq, just ask for a repeat, and be ready to write it down if you forget things. I don't fly Vatsim anymore ( got bored with starting and or ending flights on Unicomm 90% of the time) , and I would suspect that the percentage of simmers that fly online is not very large, so it is a niche of a niche. Just my 2 cents. 

9 hours ago, Mr. ATC said:

So, instead of just blocking my attempt to find out, what bits of information are the relevant ones, help me with it. Keeping the view "everything was better before" will never bring a real development.

I don't know how to be any more clear. The one on the left isn't nearly as useful, or clean looking, as the one on the right.
The traffic is using clean clear fonts (and actually works the first time the app is open), the aircraft labels can be clearly read, the aircraft symbols are small and crisp, the procedure is automatically loaded (albeit usually with the wrong runway) - and - most important - the frequency sequence is along the top -  right in front of my eyes and not in a different window I need to keep moving around from background to foreground and looking for.

You trying to make the point I don't need this doesn't go very far with me. For me - it's one of the main features of the program. This is why I don't use littlenavmap or navigraph charts.

Listening to the other traffic is a method, but it's more effective when I can see the traffic on my map along with the frequency along the top.

Simply - v1 looks better and is more useful and I wish v2 was an improvement but right now I'm at a net loss of features rather than a gain. V2 has some good ideas, but missed big on the frequency display and the portrayal and handling of traffic is worse.

I also noticed when I put my SID/STAR in the flight plan, it ignores it. More steps that shouldn't be needed. I also really miss the overlay of all available SID/STAR from the NORTH/EAST/SOUTH/WEST. That feature was incredibly useful and kept me from renewing my Navigraph Charts subscription. 

If what I'm asking for isn't the intent of the software and Aivlasoft is moving on without these features, then I'll ride v1 until it can't read P3D databases anymore. I evangelized their software to our community every chance I could get ... I'm hoping that can continue. But questions like "why do you need that" or comments like "that's not the intent of the software" are concerning.

download.jpg

6 hours ago, bob34 said:

I don't know how to be any more clear. The one on the left isn't nearly as useful, or clean looking, as the one on the right.
The traffic is using clean clear fonts (and actually works the first time the app is open), the aircraft labels can be clearly read, the aircraft symbols are small and crisp, the procedure is automatically loaded (albeit usually with the wrong runway) - and - most important - the frequency sequence is along the top -  right in front of my eyes and not in a different window I need to keep moving around from background to foreground and looking for.

You trying to make the point I don't need this doesn't go very far with me. For me - it's one of the main features of the program. This is why I don't use littlenavmap or navigraph charts.

Listening to the other traffic is a method, but it's more effective when I can see the traffic on my map along with the frequency along the top.

Simply - v1 looks better and is more useful and I wish v2 was an improvement but right now I'm at a net loss of features rather than a gain. V2 has some good ideas, but missed big on the frequency display and the portrayal and handling of traffic is worse.

I also noticed when I put my SID/STAR in the flight plan, it ignores it. More steps that shouldn't be needed. I also really miss the overlay of all available SID/STAR from the NORTH/EAST/SOUTH/WEST. That feature was incredibly useful and kept me from renewing my Navigraph Charts subscription. 

If what I'm asking for isn't the intent of the software and Aivlasoft is moving on without these features, then I'll ride v1 until it can't read P3D databases anymore. I evangelized their software to our community every chance I could get ... I'm hoping that can continue. But questions like "why do you need that" or comments like "that's not the intent of the software" are concerning.

download.jpg

On the left picture, why do you have it zoomed out like that. Of curse you can't read anything. My impression from your posts, is that for whatever reason, you just want to knock V2, and won't be satisfied with it no matter what. So just stay with V1 then, but constantly criticizing of V2 which is  what most people really like that are using it, is getting to be a real drag to the rest of us. 

48 minutes ago, bobsk8 said:

On the left picture, why do you have it zoomed out like that. Of curse you can't read anything. My impression from your posts, is that for whatever reason, you just want to knock V2, and won't be satisfied with it no matter what. So just stay with V1 then, but constantly criticizing of V2 which is  what most people really like that are using it, is getting to be a real drag to the rest of us. 

Bobsk:

Not sure how you suddenly appointed yourself "the rest of us", but in the P3D, VATSIM, Reddit and a few other communities I participate in, my feedback here represents the opinions of quite a few people. And I'm not knocking v2 for fun.

If it makes you uncomfortable then don't read it but telling me to be quiet doesn't sit well with me and it won't help Aivlasoft or our community either.

Besides - I'm not dragging you into this conversation. You chose to insert yourself. If you aren't interested kindly un-insert yourself with the left arrow in your browser.

EFB is by far my favorite add-on for FS and I looked forward to v2 for a long time. It's not a bad thing to be disappointed when features are removed or changed around.

The devs need to hear from the customers or they risk their competitors acting on the information instead. 

My feedback is: the ATC frequency bar (and a few other very convenient options) was a vital part of v1 and before I figured out Jonas is a tester not a developer, I became very concerned when the response was "why do you need it anyway" or "just use this other app". If this was Aivlasoft's official stance I'd be quite disappointed. Glad it was just a beta tester.

Additionally, I think the client's map needs some cosmetic work, the SID/STAR overlay should make a re-appearance, and I'm sure a few other things will pop up as I use the program more.

These aren't enhancements. I'm pointing out very useful features that aren't there anymore ...   and they also happen to be some of the major reasons I used EFB v1.

I think I've made my point half a dozen times now. I'm sure Aivlasoft has seen it. How they handle the feedback is up to them. Personally I hope they pick up some of the lost features or designs of v1 and continue making it one of the 'must have' tools for simmers.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:49 AM, bob34 said:

Using an additional program to accomplish what V1 used to accomplish isn't a good answer if v2 is considered an upgrade.

Looking at them side by side, I find V1 far more useful. The fonts are cleaner, the aircraft symbol is cleaner AND I have my beloved frequency bar across the top which - again - was a key feature of Aivlasoft's EFB.

This isn't my reluctance to adapt to new software. Not to disrespect the hard work that went into v2, but this is either a miscalculation by the developers on how this tool is used or perceived by the end user .... or (hopefully) a work in progress that will be shaped and formed by the wants/needs of their faithful community.

I'm not stomping my feet and saying I'm going back to V1, but I'm anxious to know if I can count on some of the conveniences of the V1 interface to be put back into V2 or I need to ride V1 until it can't read P3D's data anymore and then consider what's next.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Couldn't of said that better myself and I was about too. Why use another program eating memory when V1 had this and now it doesnt  (to the same effect). Thus my first explanation and that V2 has gone backwards in this area in my opinion. Question is why do we need it.... because we used to use it all the time when on Vatsim.

I have constantly followed this thread but I intentionally did not jump in for obvious reasons.

From my point of view the latest posts do not add any new information, they are just a repeating of the same objections. Therefore I decided to close this thread now.

We will - of course - discuss these objections in the team and then we decide what and how and whether we will proceed.

As an additional information I would like to say that we would be imprudent if we would not listen to our customers, but on the other hand, it's quite normal that a user might overrate the importance of its own objections and might tend to consider his problem as a problem of all customers. We do not play down the content of this thread, but our analysis of the last few years is telling us that the amount of users flying 'online' is just a small percentage of the entire amount of all our customers.