Display Unit won't connect across network

Hello,

Please can you help.

PC Network

Windows 10 main PC running P3Dv4.2 and EFB Data Provider v1.6.15.15941 installed in default C: drive location (Demo expires 15/03 !)

Windows 7 second PC running EFB Display Unit  v1.6.15.15942 installed in default C: drive location

Problem - the Display Unit shows 'Connecting Data Provider' - but never connects. (I also have a copy of the Display Unit installed on the main Win 10 flight sim PC, which  connects just fine)

Network Setup

My C drive on the Win 10 system is shared ok across the network (called drive Z: on the network), and I can see and navigate to all the files and folders on that systems drive when I navigate that Z drive from the Win 7 system.

I have opened port 13 on both Win 10 and 7 systems for Inbound and Outbound.

I have enabled Security bypass of the Windows Firewall for the C: drives and EFB (Read & Write) on both systems.

Both PCs are connected to same Homegroup. AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider is Read/Write available in the Homegroup

Attempted running with Firewall/Antivirus off without any improvement

Ran Windows Network Troubleshooter without any problems found

Win 10 PC Data Provider Setup

In the Data Provider settings on my Win 10 Flight Sim PC, I have set the server to 'Any' and kept the TCP port number as 51747, with all other settings as default.

I have selected the P3d tab and entered Installation folder: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 etc

Win 7 PC Display Unit Setup

In the Display Unit settings, I have retained the port no as 51747, set the server to 'Remote', and left  theother settings on the TCP page as default.

The Provider Data folder is correctly set correctly in the Display Unit - to: \\(Win 10 PC name)\Users\ (user name)\Appdata\Local/ AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider .

I have  check name test displays 'OK ... Hostname found'.

None of the other location addresses Folders and Links have been changed from default values at this time.

Please can you tell me what I am doing wrong - or what further adjustments I can try? I have read and re read the manual, searched here on this Forum 'and Google but not found a solution.

Thanks in hopeful anticipation as my trial is about to expire!

Andrew

Supplementary Question:

I downloaded a trial of EFB on my original Windows 7 PC last year, before I had the Windows 10 PC and the opportunity to setup a network of the two.That original trial has expired.

I did not purchase a licence after that original trial, since it was suggested to me that a network setup was the only way to properly operate EFB and I only had one PC.

Recently however, having purchased the new win 10 PC, I watched a FroogleSim Youtube video and decided to give EFB another try now its possible for me to network my two PC's together.

However, when I now try downloading the EFB trial again from your site to the older Windows 7 PC, it says that my trial has expired (Trial copy more recently downloaded to Windows 10 PC doesn't expire until 15/03/18)

My question is, could my network connection problem described in my original post above, be an issue where the Expired Trial 'Display Unit' app on the Windows 7 PC won't connect with the Current Trial copy 'Data Provider' on the Windows 10 PC and its this that is causing the non connect problem that I'm experiencing? Unlike the Expired ' Data Provider' the 'Display Unit' still opens on the Win 7 PC - it just won't connect with the 'Data Provider' on the Windows 10 PC.

i.e is there some kind of expired v unexpired trial conflict going on here across the network?

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just setup a second home computer and wanted to try EFB over the network.  I am running v1.6.16.28831 fully licensed on the main computer.  I installed the same version on the second computer (my charts computer).  On the setup screen, I set the server mode to 'remote' and entered the hostname of the main computer.  When I click Check name, I get the 'OK....hostname found' message.  

Next I went to Provider data folder and selected \\main_pc_name\Users\hilki\AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.  However when I click OK I get a red X next to Provider data folder.  Also get the popup: Validate   You have to select the data folder which contains the provider data files....'  

Note I can access the main pc from the charts pc via \\main_pc_name.

To make things easier, try to create a so called 'home group' (see windows documentation). If your computers are members of the same home group, share the folder ".. AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider" for "read/write homegroup". This must be done using the "simple-dialog", not the extended sharing dialog.

8 hours ago, Hilkiah said:

Next I went to Provider data folder and selected \\main_pc_name\Users\hilki\AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.  However when I click OK I get a red X next to Provider data folder.

Obviously EFB cannot access the path. Maybe because you have shared the entire 'Users' path.

Fixed my connection problem after days of trying!

I even upgraded the OS of the second PC to win 10, but that didn’t solve the issue.

After tracking down an internet post on networking win 10, I finally tried re-starting my router and bingo, it seems that I needed the router to auto assign an IP address to each PC on the network during it's restart and when it did that, it solved the problem.

Thanks to Urs for your support. I will purchase a full licence today.

Best wishes

Andrew