Fixes don't show up on the chart

Hello everyone,

After downloading and installing EFB v1.6.15 on a new motherboard with Windows 10, the fixes are no longer displayed on the chart as they used to do with Windows 7. I have tried all zoom settings and also disabled the virus scanner, but no fixes show up. The other chart objects show up as expected. EFB is using the Navigraph AIRAC cycle 1108 as delivered with the PMDG 737ngx package.
I reinstalled EFB (you never know) but no fixes.

When I open the Modify page (Enroute tab) and select a waypoint in the lower pane, the fixes appear in the upper pane after clicking the option Fixes.
Any ideas?

Regards,
JaapV

Hi Urs,

PMDG appears to accept only this 1108 AIRAC cycle. Once I replaced the 1108 data with the EFB cycle data but the PMDG program did not accept this.

I suppose Navigraph has a deal with PMDG that only other AIRAC cycles are accepted if they are bought and properly installed with the special PMDG installer from Navigraph (probably a hidden hash check on the cycle data which is stored anywhere in the PMDG data).

Apart from this in my previous installation with Windows 7 I did not have this Fixes problem using the 1108 AIRAC cycle.

Triggered by your question I did some tests:

I reinstalled EFB with the delivered Navdata (cycle 1310) and created a flight.
The fixes show up!
Then I copied these Navdata and SIDSTARS directories into the PMDG directory.
When I started a free flight with the PMDG 737ngx a warning message appeared:
"Navdata hash init: invalid latitude". After clicking OK the same warning popped up again and again (the hash check I presume).

Then I reinstalled PMDG 737ngx to be certain to use the correct Navdata (cycle 1108).
When I changed the Navigation data setting in the EFB Data Provider to the Navdata in the PMDG directory,
the Data Provider restarted to handle this new setting. Before it was finished I heard a bleep and a red spot appeared in the window

(see the picture below).
After starting the Display Unit it did not show the Fixes.

The problem therefore seems to be caused by the content of the Navdata. I have enclosed a link to the Navdata and SIDSTARS files so you can try to figure out what could go wrong (https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhfYrSQf3v9UjDYeQB7A6b9IOl41).

As I said before this problem did not occur with my previous installation using Windows 7. Perhaps the latest version of EFB that I have installed for the first time, contains a minor flaw.

Regards,
JaapV

DataProvider.jpg.daff6c312088e9f8d4b5c0b74563280b.jpg

Hi Urs,

Thank you for your reply.

First let me tell you that it is absolutely not my intention to expect you to support other formats of Navigraph navdata files.

When I installed EFB for the first time:
- I had no technical knowledge of Navigraph Navdata files.
- It was obvious to me the EFB and PMDG software should use the same navdata.
- I knew the location of the navdata directories and files used by PMDG can not be changed.
- In the Navigation data settings of the data provider the explanatory text is:
  Always select the folder which is 'hierarchically above' the two folders 'Navdata' and 'SIDSTARS', independent of whatever it is named.
- The manual did not indicate that EFB Aivlasoft can only use navigation information from Navigraph.
Based on the above it was obvious to me to let EFB make use of the Navigraph data of PMDG. So I changed the directory setting in the DataProvider and I was not surprised that everything worked as expected.

Lateron I tried to let PMDG make use of the Aivlasoft navdata by copying the data files to the PMDG directories but for some reason PMDG did not work so I continued to use the 1108 Airac cycle of PMDG.

After reinstalling FSX and the addons due to the transition to another mobo with Windows 10, the only difference with the previous installation was a different version of the EFB software. So you should agree with me it was clear that the DataProvider would be suspicious while reading exactly the same navdata as in the previous installation.

Now that you know the history I hope you realize that I do not mix things up at all.

Unfortunately, the red dot and the beep from the DataProvider did not give me any information about the error, but you undoubtedly have the means to determine the cause. Maybe it's just a small problem I hope you will find.

If the problem proves to be too complicated, I can always buy another set of Navigraph navigation files, but I am just curious why suddenly things went wrong.

Best regards,
JaapV

Hi Jaap

17 hours ago, JaapV said:

It was obvious to me the EFB and PMDG software should use the same navdata.

Unfortunately that is not true. The data formats are slightly different.

After reinstalling FSX and the addons due to the transition to another mobo with Windows 10, the only difference with the previous installation was a different version of the EFB software. So you should agree with me it was clear that the DataProvider would be suspicious while reading exactly the same navdata as in the previous installation.

I really don't know why you don't just run the installer for EFB (as you did for all other add-ons)? After such a system change I would never rely on an old installation.

If the problem proves to be too complicated, I can always buy another set of Navigraph navigation files, but I am just curious why suddenly things went wrong.

That's what I highly suggest. Give each add-on it's own navdata.

Hello Urs,

Apparently, I was not clear enough. I did not copy the former FSX installation, but I downloaded and installed both FSX and the add-ons. Only the EFB turned out to be a different version.

Because of your comment that the data formats are slightly different, I compared the content of the NavData files that I obtained with the new installation of the PMDG software, with the NavData files of PMDG that I still own from the previous installation.
I expected them to be the same, but for some unknown reason one of the new files appeared to be damaged???? I replaced the damaged file and now everything is OK again. Both EFB and PMDG use the same NavData files from PMDG without problems and the Fixes are shown in the chart. Problem solved!

Thank you Urs for your cooperation.

Regards,

Jaap