Connecting the Data provider and Display Unit

Have been trying for countless hours to figure out what I am doing wrong when trying to connect over 2 computers through a home network. Does anyone know of a step by step tutorial that is more in depth than the manual. Have been trying to open ports, check IP addresses, etc.. I appear to have the files being recognized over the computers, server name recognized but won't connect. Sits forever on "reading world data". I know it can take awhile and I have left if for 10 minutes or so but still nothing. guess I am missing something and am at a total loss when trying to figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

dave

Thanks for the replies!!

I have XP on all of my computers.

The display unit comes up and goes through "Initializing EFB System", takes a couple minutes "Reading world data." Then the "System" button becomes active. Then "reading world data" is complete and it shows IP-Address is: 192.168.0.197 which is the address of the display unit computer. The Folders and Links tab reads

Provider data folder \\provider computer name\DataProvider

Aircraft folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Mydocuments\Aivlasoft\EFB\Userdata\Aircrafts

Library Folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Mydocuments\Aivlasoft\EFB\Userdata\Library

Flight Logs folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Mydocuments\Aivlasoft\EFB\Userdata\FlightLogs

Routes Folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Mydocuments\Aivlasoft\EFB\Userdata\Routes

FSX FlightPlans

\\provider computer name\FSX files

The TCP Communications Tab

TCP Port No. 51747

Server Mode Remote

Server Name dataprovider computer name (check name worked)

Timeout sending 5

Timeout disconnect 5

Timeout live signal 10

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks

dave

Another question. Are the Aircraft, Library, Flight Logs and Routes folders to be directed to the data provider computer or the display unit computer? Right now, the Provider data folder I have directed to the data provider(FSX) computer on a shared file but the others are all C:\ documents and settings............ directed to the display unit computer. In fact on the data provider computer under aivlasoft......... userdata there is only a sound folder. I am hoping i have that right?

dave

Hi Dave,

Are the Aircraft, Library, Flight Logs and Routes folders to be directed to the data provider computer or the display unit computer?
That depends on your personal liking. If you have installed only one DisplayUnit than it doesn't matter where the folders are located, if you run a second DisplayUnit it might be helpful to have at least the routes folder at the same location.

In fact on the data provider computer under aivlasoft......... userdata there is only a sound folder.
That seems to be OK. The sounds folder is used only by the DataProvider.

Network:

Did you already have a look into the Windows-firewall-settings on the DataProviders computer? I remember that I had a similar issue many months ago and I opened the firewall settings, then removed all the entries that were from the DataProvider. Then restarted the DataProvider just to force the firewall to show the dialog where I'm being asked whether I want to allow the DataProvider to access the network. That helped (at least on my computer).

Other questions:

Are you running a network with a domain controller?

Do you have DHCP enabled?

Are the DataProvider and the DisplayUnit within the same network address (192.168.0.xxx)

Thank you for the reply!

I have turned the firewall off while I try to figure this out. Hopefully you agree that is the right thing to do!

I don't think I am using a domain controller (don't know what that is!) Have a Dlink router and set up my home network simply using the Wizard in windows.

DHCP is enabled on the data provider computer. Obtain and IP address automatically is checked. Obtain DNS server address automatically is checked.

DHCP is enabled on the display computer as well. Obtain and IP address automatically is checked. Interestingly, Use the following DNS server address is checked with the numbers 4 2 2 2 and 4 2 2 3 in the preferred and alternate DNS server boxes. Could this be the problem?? Don't remember setting these numbers but can only figure my internet provider guided me to do that when I was originally set up.

The IP addresses on each of the computers on my network has its own IP address.

Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately it doesn't take to much to get over my head on some of this!!

dave

Dave,

turning off the firewall isn't a good idea! Please turn it ON again.

Supporting network problems is a very difficult job, especially "online" via forum posts. I'm afraid that we must go "back to square one" where you asked "Does anyone know of a step by step tutorial on how to manage a home network". Is there a colleague in your neighborhood that could help you get this network running? I know from my experience that sometimes a problem can be solved in a couple of minutes but one must sit in front of the computers having an "overall" view on the several components of a network.

Thanks for the ongoing help.

I will have a look at Teamviewer. Would you be willing to help me out with my network?

I guess I thought I had a home network running. I am able to move files between pc's have shared music files that can be played on each pc, fsclient and widefs run across my pc's., fscmnder works with moving map, etc.. Can you give me an idea of what is missing from my network?

Thank you , dave

Dave

I am not the best at networks mine is WIN7 to XP and caused difficulties for me. I suspect in the back of my head somewhere thatthis might be an install issue.

If you still havent had any luck by the end of the weekend I'll try and help over Teamviewer.

I am away from this aftrenoon until sunday.

Wycliffe

Have been trying for countless hours to figure out what I am doing wrong when trying to connect over 2 computers through a home network. Does anyone know of a step by step tutorial that is more in depth than the manual. Have been trying to open ports, check IP addresses, etc.. I appear to have the files being recognized over the computers, server name recognized but won't connect. Sits forever on "reading world data". I know it can take awhile and I have left if for 10 minutes or so but still nothing. guess I am missing something and am at a total loss when trying to figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

dave

Has this been resolved? I'm encountering the very same problem, the Display unit on my remote Windows 7 machine reads all the data files on my FSX Vista Ultimate 64 machine, displays the IP address on the bottom and the "connecting" box in the main screen....I can point the remote machine to all the relevant folders on the FSX machine, so I don't think sharing is a problem...any help?

Hi,

please check the settings on each side (DataProvider DisplayUnit). The settings should be similar to the following picture:

EFB.[attachment=0]NetworkSettings.gif[/attachment]

Green boxes: the values must be identical on both sides

Red boxes: DataProvider > Any (it will listen to any computers within the same network), DisplayUnit > Remote (plus the name of the remote computer). Don't enter an IP address.

If all these settings are correct, the problem is to be found outside of EFB (Firewall settings, Network settings, Router settings ...).

This is exactly how my settings are. Also the inserted computer name is found when you click the "check" button. I can access the files on the FSX machine from the remote machine. I have played for hours with Firewall settings, Network settings, Router settings but I didn't get the remote Display unit to work.

I just hope someone has a clue what could be the issue. Even if the problem is outside EFB (which it very well could be) I need to find a solution somehow. I'll keep trying, but if I don't succeed prior to the expiration of the demo licence then thats it for me and EFB. And this would be a pitty because the functionality of the program is truly great!

Hi,

according to the forum rules (see at the top of every page), please sign your posts with your real first name. Thanks.

Can you please send me all the logfiles to support@aivlasoft.com. You will find the files as follows: Windows-Start-Menu > All Programs > AivlaSoft > EFB > Logfiles.

Can you also send me the following two files:

- DataProviderSettings.bin

- DisplayUnitSettings.bin

The files are located as follows: C:\Users\[username]\Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB\Settings

Solved :-) the third night session brought the solution...well...a workaround at least. I have nailed the "not connecting error" between the remote machine with the display unit and the FSX machine down to my router. After directly connecting the two units via a network switch the remote display unit connected :-) , as soon as the router is in between it can't connect anymore. To solve that might be tricky but at least I now can use the full functionality of EFB.

Thanks Urs for pointing me in the right direction! Great support!

Cheers

Marcus

That sounds like a firewall issue or third party Anti virus software protection issue.

Make sure in your AV security exceptions that EFB is one of the allowed programms. I know this sounds unlikely but it is often the simplest of things that cause problems.

Just on a side note I only ever us AVG, it's free and as far as I am concerned the best Anti Virus software on the market.

Wycliffe

So can we conclude that the "typical" network that is set up through the "Network Wizard" and a router will not work? One must have a network set up through a network switch? My trial expires on the 15th!!!

I have such a "typical" network using a router, which functions correctly.

The Data Provider is installed on my main PC with Win 7 64 bit, and the Display Unit is on a second PC with Vista 32 bit.

The only thing I remember doing was mapping the network drives on the Vista PC, and installing the Flight Plans and UserData folders on the"D" drive of the Win 7 PC.

Terry

Dave,

could you please send me all the logfiles (from both computers). The logfiles can be found as follows: Windows-Start-Menu > All Programs > AivlaSoft > EFB > Logfiles. Please send them all to support@aivlasoft.com.

Another thing that might cause the problem is a "port-number-sharing-conflict". If another program or service on one of your machines is already using port number 51747 then this could be the problem.

Could you do the following:

- Close DisplayUnit and DataProvider on both machines

on computer 1:

- Open "Windows-Start-Menu"

- Select "Run" (a dialog box should appear where you may enter some text)

- enter "cmd", press "Enter" (now a black window should open)

- type "netstat" (without quotation marks), press "Enter"

- this will show you a list of all the active connections that are running on your computer. Please make a screenshot of this list.

Now go to computer 2 and do the same.

Please send the two screenshots also to support@aivlasoft.com

Can you tell us what kind of DLink router you're running? Maybe there is another user of EFB which has a same router?

If you can find the file "SimConnect.xml" at the following folder, could you please forward it to me? C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\[Application Data Folder]\Microsoft\FSX\SimConnect.xml

Want to thank everyone again that is trying to help me out with this. It is nice to hear from Eisbahn that I should be able to get this to work on my network setup as his sounds the same as mine. Worries me that I have made a stupid mistake though!!

Urs, I have emailed all the information you requested to support.

The router i have is a D-Link DIR-655 if anyone has such a router that can comment that would be a great help too.

Thanks,

Dave Willson

Dave,

I have an XP Display client and a Vista64 FSX provider both connected to each other through an older D-Link router (itself behind some Cisco hardware) and no special router configuration was needed.

I did have to set up my simconnect file correctly, and I'm using a depreciated local user on my Vista box to allow mapping to occur safely, but that was a one time thing. (XP doesn't get along well with its newer siblings.)

The other "small things" that I can think of are:

• You do have your FSX computer's name entered into your remote DisplayUnit's settings?
  • Your remote PC can connect to your FSX computer by using its name (and not simply by IP address)? In other words you can map a drive by referencing \\COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME and not only by \\10.30.1.2\SHARENAME - or you can PING COMPUTERNAME and get a response?

Regards,

Thanks for the suggestions. Can ping my dataprovider computer from the display unit computer.

You have me curious though when you say, "I did have to set up my simconnect file correctly...." Can you tell me what you had to do??

Thanks

dave