Cannot start Display Unit

We're very sorry that EFB is not working for all users on Windows 10, and we have been collecting as much information as we can on what the issue(s) could be.

As he's stated, Urs has been running EFB on a clean install of Windows 10.  So it can work.  I however have upgraded my former Windows 7 "work PC" to Windows 10, and I have been able to install EFB and connect to my "sim PC" (which will stay on Windows 7 for the meantime).  No fuss, no muss.

My EFB installation was from a download off the site - not a "special" build at all.

The first tack that we'd like to take is to ask if users with the problem have the .Net Framework 3.5 enabled on their Windows 10 PCs.

If there are users who have 3.5 active and still have problems, then we will need to dig further....

Hi Travis

Yes installed and active and still have the issues!

Cheers

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm bummed out but still hopeful....

Here are some more triage-y questions....

• Are you using the release version of W10? 
  • Do/Did you have UAC (or whatever they call it these days) disabled?  (I had my W7 UAC disabled.)
  • Have you reinstalled EFB after your Windows upgrade? 

I'm personally most interested in the latter question - Urs did a clean install, so he had to have installed EFB afterwards.  I did an upgrade of a non-FlightSim PC, and then I installed SimConnect and then EFB afterwards.

If anyone can answer yes to all of my previous questions, and if you are still having problems running either the DataProvider or the DisplayUnit then I would ask you to PM Urs and myself with any Windows Application or System Event Log reports that you've recorded.

Travis

I have installed and reinstalled and still the same issue will look at sorting out as much data for you as i can and will PM you with it......... wont be straight away as currently tied up.

Cheers

Thanks for the data everyone, and thank you more for your patience!

Urs is running virtual machines now, trying to come up with a situation where an upgrade to Win10 fails to operate.  Nothing so far though.

I read where some users have reported initial good results when upgrading to Win10, but odd behavior days and weeks ;ater with certain applications (not all flight-sim related) after an update of Win10.  (That is, a regular Windows Update of Win10.)

I'm chicken, so I'm sticking with Win 7 on my sim PC for the time being.

Maybe the following could be of help.  My setup is: The DU on a upgraded W10 computer while FSX is on another W7 computer. When I try to start the DU nothing happens, I get the blue circle doing some rounds and all ends there.

When however I start the DU whilst the FSX computer is not switched on, the DU does start. Initially I get the warning that the "data provider folder does not exist or is not availble", which is understandable as the Data provider system is not active. After that I start  the FSX computer and the Data Provider. When on the DU TCP comm tab I check if the DU can see the FSX computer and it does.

When I then hit  the OK button on the DU I get the warning that "data provider does not contain the requested Data provider files".

Just to be sure I reinstalled the data provider on the primary system but I kept getting the same error. I shut down the DU and tried to start it again but it did not start.

Would be great if somebody finds a solution.

thank / b rdgs / Dick

=

Hello to everyone,

As of today something happened that the DU no longer starts. As you remember it had been running fine from a clean W10 install. I have no idea why it ran okay for almost three weeks and now it's dead :(

Anyway, it's nice to hear its being worked on so hopefully a fix is due soon.

Regards,

Jerry

UPDATE: I have tested EFB on a virtual machine with Windows 10 and the DU stops working after installing Aerosoft's Airbus. I have no idea if this is the only add on that causes trouble with EFB but maybe it narrows down the possible problems. Btw, the Airbus installs and works fine under Windows 10, it only seems to wreck EFB and one system font. After uninstalling the Airbus the problem persists, but then I deleted the fonts that it installs and the DU works again. So it is clear it has something to do with Airbus fonts

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry,

How would people like myself ( who have  a non working DU on a secondary system with not a single  FS addon installed apart from pfpx and asn)  fit into your theory ?

Regards / Dick

=

Well, it's obvious that the airbus cant be the only source of problems since not everyone owns it. But if a font is causing Castle.MicroKernel to stop working I assume (and it's only an assumption) that it makes it easier for the devs to see what's causing the problem.

At any rate, the problem is still there and it needs to be fixed whatever the cause of it may be.

Jerry

Good find Gerardo,

I copied the Airbus True Type fonts to another folder for safe keeping. Then, I deleted them in my fonts folder.

The fonts include:

AirbusDisp.ttf

AIrbusDisp2.ttf

AirbusFCU.ttf

AirbusISIS.ttf

AirbusMCDUa.ttf

AirbusMCDUb.ttf

AirbusPFD.ttf

AirbusPFD2.ttf

I can confirm that the DU now runs on the Windows 10 UPGRADE. It did not run before deleting the files.

THANK YOU FOR THE FIND!!

EDIT:

It's the AirbusPFD.ttf and AirbusPFD2.ttf fonts that cause the issue. Adding either one (or both) of these fonts bring the problem back. Removing both of these fonts and the DU problem goes away. Any of the other Airbus fonts are OK.

Well, it's obvious that the airbus cant be the only source of problems since not everyone owns it. But if a font is causing Castle.MicroKernel to stop working I assume (and it's only an assumption) that it makes it easier for the devs to see what's causing the problem.

At any rate, the problem is still there and it needs to be fixed whatever the cause of it may be.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry.

I confirm it works now with the Airbus fonts removed from the system.

Keep well and regards

Pauga

Hello,

I don't have either AirbusPFD.ttf nor AirbusPFD2.ttf

However the DU started after I removed CDU.ttf (which apparently is a Captain Sim-installed font).

Why the Windows upgrade messed with this is beyond me...

Best regards

Christophe

I am glad some of you have been able to fix their problems. I see that some of you had to remove CDU.ttf, or AirbusPFD.ttf, or AirbusPFD2.ttf.

I found that for me, the AirbusDisp and AirbusPFD were the cause of problems. I can have either one installed but not both at the same time.

In my case, AirbusPFD2 was causing text in steam, microsoft edge, and other applications to look weird. A fixed .ttf is found on the aerosoft forums and for my particular case it did not interfere with EFB. Aerosoft are now aware of these problems with fonts and will fix them

Keep well

Jerry

REMOVED my original post because of it's redundancy to other posts here and on AVSIM.

That said... Argh!   I found that the Aerosoft Airbus now no longer has text in the PFD (shocker!!!!)

OK, so "who" needs to fix this... I assume Aivlasoft?

Honestly, I've been a developer for over 20-years and this makes no sense.  I'm sure there is some explanation, but Aivlasoft should have no reliance on those font files.

Phil,

EFB does not have any direct reliance on those fonts.  (EFB was developed before the Aerosoft Airbus, and EFB only calls on a small number of system fonts.)

Why those fonts are appearing in EFB after a Win10 upgrade, is the issue at hand.

You are absolutely correct that this makes no sense.  (I'm totally clueless; I haven't touched fonts in any depth since PostScript was the new kid on the block.)

But in time, I'm confident something will become apparent.

Regards,

• 5 months later...

PLEASE RE-READ...

Further more:

I don't have

AirbusPFD.ttf

AirbusPFD2.ttf

What I had was CDU.ttf and CDU_WXR.TTF

removing those fixed the issue, DU is now running:

https://gyazo.com/982672a280f6b4c8ed93877a4a60f2ad

Hope this helps

Florin

I removed all of the Airbus fonts from Win10 pro 64 bit UPGRADE

nWGNmv6.jpg

& backed them up to a folder outside of "Fonts," then rebooted-same problem…

UPDATE: AirbusPFD2.ttf was NOT deleted...it was "in use" and could not be deleted...the fix for me was

YAYYYYYYYY...No longer befuddled...EXCEPT...

1. "How did Windows 10 upgrade allow this to happen?"

Quick and dirty answer… Windows 10 has made us all beta testers and the "upgrade" allowed the existing fonts to fall through the cracks.... But why didn't this problem with the EFB DU not show up in Windows7, from which I upgraded?

2. Were The Airbus fonts really the culprits?

Quick and dirty answer… there are both affirmative & negative answers out there, but it seems to me that The Aerosoft Airbus fonts bear further examination. I KNOW...deleting the fonts...especially the one above...FIXED not only the EFB, but Firefox, and Probably my other browsers, and other apps as well.

3. I want to use my EFB....The use of my Airbus is secondary, but I am not going to reinstall my Airbuses until there is an update from Aerosoft to find out....i'll leave that to some of you more ambitious guys and gals.

4.I am pretty damn certain that this vindicates the Aivasoft crew from any culpability. This is a Windows 10 (Upgrade?)system problem.

Cheers,

Chas

• 3 weeks later...

We're very sorry that EFB is not working for all users on Windows 10, and we have been collecting as much information as we can on what the issue(s) could be.

As he's stated, Urs has been running EFB on a clean install of Windows 10.  So it can work.  I however have upgraded my former Windows 7 "work PC" to Windows 10, and I have been able to install EFB and connect to my "sim PC" (which will stay on Windows 7 for the meantime).  No fuss, no muss.

My EFB installation was from a download off the site - not a "special" build at all.

The first tack that we'd like to take is to ask if users with the problem have the .Net Framework 3.5 enabled on their Windows 10 PCs.

If there are users who have 3.5 active and still have problems, then we will need to dig further....

no I don't and the reason appears to me that got framework 4.0 is in operation not 3.5

chas

no I don't and the reason appears to me that got framework 4.0 is in operation not 3.5

chas

I don't think the .Net Frameworks are a cumulative upgrade. each version is installed as well as previous versions not instead of.

I cant get the display unit to work and get the ComponentActivator error on windows 7 and it was working earlier this afternoon and then when my pc restarted it started giving me the error and closing. Ive reinstalled the EFB and still get the error after a clean install of the EFB. Please help