Cannot start Display Unit

I request that Aivlasoft at least acknowledge this issue and let us know if it is fixable, ideally without having to wipe everything and starting over. It's not just the issue itself that's annoying, it's the lack of response.

Rob.

+1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremely annoyed now, I thought give the guys a fighting chance to crack on and solve it, but when they cannot even be bothered to take time out to acknowledge a customers request for information or update the people that paid them good money for a product, then this is not acceptable. Apologies if I have sounded off unnecessarily and I have missed an update somewhere, but as it stands I am unable to find one thus far.

Mike

Grumpy old Navy Chief!

Same problem here guys as well, clean install not an option due to the fact I'm running some software that is no longer available. Is there any way to actually contact Aivlasoft? I never begin planning a flight using any other software so I'm totally up the creak now

Restored my laptop to Windows 8.1 and have the DU on it, Works well connecting to my desktop that has Windows 10.  Just can't use it on the Windows 10 machine.  This is a temporary fix until Aivlasoft addresses the issue.

So Aivalsoft's EFB will only run on a clean install of windows 10 as per this post, which follows, from the "support team"

'Posted Yesterday, 05:15 PM

Development of version 1.x has been stopped more than one and a half year ago (Jan 2014). Nobody was talking about Win10 then.

Only version 2.0 of EFB (which is still under development) will run on Win10 (better say, on .NET framework 4.5). EFB 1.x requires .NET 3.5.1 which obviously is not available after an upgrade to Win10 but it will be installed by Win10 as soon as a program is demanding for it. But only if the operating system has been installed from scratch (not via upgrade). See here: http://aivlasoft.ipb...ge-2#entry11307

The cause for the problem is not EFB, the cause is the upgrade feature of the Win10 installation which obviously does not the same than a clean installation of Win10. After a clean installation of Win10 no problems have been experienced so far with EFB 1.5.1.'

Amazing to say the least...I've, installed, on my Desktop so many other types of flightsim software some much older than EFB, and they all run perfectly on windows 10!  Just how old is FSX now?  It RUNS!   Yes against all the odds.... I think it even runs better!!!! I think Urs you should put a note on the frontpage, if you're brave enough, of the website saying that EFB does not run on windows 10, only if you've upgraded though. If you want EFB to work you'll have to start from a clean HD you know what I'm talking about give yourself a week of work plus just getting your flightsim just as you like just so you can install EFB.  Yeah right!!!!  How many times have I read from developers ' no it not our software its your machines its your setup yeah yeah blah blah....I'm very disappointed Urs I expected more from you.  Still never mind I'm back to using FS commander which like all my other flightsim software runs just fine on W10.  Oh I guess when EFB version 2 does eventually appear we'll all have to pay for the upgrade; yes? Now there a surprise but I guess it is a full rewrite and it is W10 compatible; here's one of your long time customer who'll not be buying it any of it!

Best regards

Steve Prowse  

PS I've been supporting you since July/August2010

So Aivalsoft's EFB will only run on a clean install of windows 10 as per this post, which follows, from the "support team"

'Posted Yesterday, 05:15 PM

Development of version 1.x has been stopped more than one and a half year ago (Jan 2014). Nobody was talking about Win10 then.

Only version 2.0 of EFB (which is still under development) will run on Win10 (better say, on .NET framework 4.5). EFB 1.x requires .NET 3.5.1 which obviously is not available after an upgrade to Win10 but it will be installed by Win10 as soon as a program is demanding for it. But only if the operating system has been installed from scratch (not via upgrade). See here: http://aivlasoft.ipb...ge-2#entry11307

The cause for the problem is not EFB, the cause is the upgrade feature of the Win10 installation which obviously does not the same than a clean installation of Win10. After a clean installation of Win10 no problems have been experienced so far with EFB 1.5.1.'

Amazing to say the least...I've, installed, on my Desktop so many other types of flightsim software some much older than EFB, and they all run perfectly on windows 10!  Just how old is FSX now?  It RUNS!   Yes against all the odds.... I think it even runs better!!!! I think Urs you should put a note on the frontpage, if you're brave enough, of the website saying that EFB does not run on windows 10, only if you've upgraded though. If you want EFB to work you'll have to start from a clean HD you know what I'm talking about give yourself a week of work plus just getting your flightsim just as you like just so you can install EFB.  Yeah right!!!!  How many times have I read from developers ' no it not our software its your machines its your setup yeah yeah blah blah....I'm very disappointed Urs I expected more from you.  Still never mind I'm back to using FS commander which like all my other flightsim software runs just fine on W10.  Oh I guess when EFB version 2 does eventually appear we'll all have to pay for the upgrade; yes? Now there a surprise but I guess it is a full rewrite and it is W10 compatible; here's one of your long time customer who'll not be buying it any of it!

Best regards

Steve Prowse  

PS I've been supporting you since July/August2010

Ok so I am quite new to EFB as I only purchased it in May this year. Now let me think for a second here. Would I have paid the money for something that was only going to last a couple of months. The answer is a big fat NO

Yes I understand certain software has a use by date as technology is advancing every day but as Steve has said above How old is FSX. The developers are obviously talented to develop this software so I would imagine that they could find a solution very quickly and show some loyalty to their customers. But I guess this is great for them as Steve has said above we will probably have to pay to upgrade. Not good enough in my opinion. I for one will not be paying for any upgrade as I now have a bitter taste in my mouth. I will aslo not be recommending it to any of my friends in VA's and Vatsim.

I wonder if I can have a refund now as I only had use of this for a couple of months and as the Consumer Act says"NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE"

I wonder if I can have a refund now as I only had use of this for a couple of months and as the Consumer Act says"NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE"

Good point Caal:

Specifications

EFB version 1.5 (and higher) supports the following two simulators:

• Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX, ServicePack 2 or Acceleration Package or 'Gold Edition'
  • Lockheed Martin Prepar3D, Version 2.0 (and higher)

Further requirements:

• Microsoft .NET-Framework 3.5 SP1, or higher
  • Network Interface Card (NIC)
  • Internet: to install either a personal license or a demo license your computer must be connected to the Internet (see also next paragraph "Internet connection").
  • Memory: at least 1 GB for a separate DisplayUnit. If all components (including FSX/P3D2) are running on a single computer, then at least 2GB are required
  • Harddisk: 50MB available space
  • CPU: best performance with Dual- or Quad-Core processors i5 or i7, at least "P4 3.0 GHz"
  • Screen resolution: 1280 x 1024 pixels

Above is the spec for the current version of EFB....note no OS is mentioned and moreover  the DOTNET  requirement is for 3.5 or higher....and there is no requirement for a clean install.  I also note that one of the guys that actually did a clean install now finds EFB does not function.  

All the best

Steve

Sorry guys but I think you're taking this all a bit too far now and I'm surprised the thread hasn't been locked.

Every time a new OS comes out some legacy software has problems, sometimes the developers jump in and fix it other times they don't.

No it doesn't say that EFB wont work on Windows 10 nor does it say it wont work on windows 12 or beyond either. You bought a product that worked on the then current OS. YOU chose to move to an OS that was untested with EFB, and in some cases it doesn't work.

Urs has chipped in and said that it worked on his system with a clean install, I'm still running a pre-release version of WIn10 and it works fine..guess I'm just lucky, but I won't be upgrading my main PC until all the bugs are ironed out.

Urs did say ages ago that development for this version of EFB had ended and that he was working on V2, indeed it's been a long time coming but I'm no software developer and therefore am not in a position to comment on how and when things should be completed. I have however commissioned thousands of pounds worth of software and so I know how long these things can take and the levels of checking required to ensure things work as expected.

I would rather he finished the work on v2 so we can move to that rather than waste time fixing this version just for the few who just had to move over to win10

Take a look in the mirror guys before you start blaming other people because you chose to jump on to the Win10 bandwagon.

Rant over

Sorry guys but I think you're taking this all a bit too far now and I'm surprised the thread hasn't been locked.

Every time a new OS comes out some legacy software has problems, sometimes the developers jump in and fix it other times they don't.

No it doesn't say that EFB wont work on Windows 10 nor does it say it wont work on windows 12 or beyond either. You bought a product that worked on the then current OS. YOU chose to move to an OS that was untested with EFB, and in some cases it doesn't work.

Urs has chipped in and said that it worked on his system with a clean install, I'm still running a pre-release version of WIn10 and it works fine..guess I'm just lucky, but I won't be upgrading my main PC until all the bugs are ironed out.

Urs did say ages ago that development for this version of EFB had ended and that he was working on V2, indeed it's been a long time coming but I'm no software developer and therefore am not in a position to comment on how and when things should be completed. I have however commissioned thousands of pounds worth of software and so I know how long these things can take and the levels of checking required to ensure things work as expected.

I would rather he finished the work on v2 so we can move to that rather than waste time fixing this version just for the few who just had to move over to win10

Take a look in the mirror guys before you start blaming other people because you chose to jump on to the Win10 bandwagon.

Rant over

I wonder Brian would you have the same opinion if yours hadn't worked. The most frustrating thing is the lack of response from the developers. Also no where now does it say on their website that this software may not be compatible with windows 10. So if I decided to buy it tonight not knowing about this problem I would be throwing my money away.

LOOK AFTER YOUR CUSTOMERS AND THEY SHOP AGAIN   

I downloaded the trial version and tried that first. It's free and there to see if it's compatible with your system. If you buy without trying who's fault is that?

Yes and so did I. But a few posts back a member has pointed out that his worked for a while with Windows 10 and now it doesnt .  Hmmm

Well if we have to wait for version 2 to come out,its EFASS for me :-o  :x  does almost the same job and its free!! This is my second choice as obviously I would like this to work first in a windows 10 environment. Its not if any developers living on this planet did not know windows 10 was coming out as MS has made this perfectly clear for well over a year!

As a self employed developer we have been working on Win10 fixes and updates for well over 9 months now ready for the final release date. Ignorance is not an excuse for paid software application updates and is annoying to paid customers when vendors ignore new OS releases.

I am not saying this is the case here but in most cases the fix is not really a massive one to make sure your customers are  well ... 'happy'! Its always been an issue with developers blaming new OS releases and the OS releases then in turn blame it on the drivers, bla bla bla...... People, we just want our paid licence software working and running on OS's other than Win 3.11 or Win 95 (yes i meant that, its just a point I am trying to make :geek:). If you need beta testers etc. I am sure people would help with this as I for one would!!!

This is just my own personal opinion as a paying customer and does not reflect on the views or opinions of any one else or any other company.

8-)

Well if you read the posts on the EFASS forum you'll find that support from the developer on there is non existent and has been for nearly a year the software is aimed at x-plane and doesn't allow you to fly across the pacific unless you wnat to go the long way round. there are many other bugs as well that haven't been fixed. 

Nobody suggested that Urs didn't know win10 was coming out but he did say development for this version of EFB had ended.

interesting that you chose to pick 2 OS that have been out of date for 10 years or more and failed to mention all those OS's where it does work.

If your a software developer whose been working on Win10 issues then why don't you take a look into the problem and see if you can find a solution and then give something back to the community.

Ok Brian then let me see the code!! You missed the point my friend  :ugeek: Anyways a little EFB is always better than none but hey you are entitled our own opinions as am I and everyone else in a public forum.

I was not dissing anyone but can see it on both sides and yes I choose those OS's to prove a point as if I choose an OS that worked then we wouldn't be having this discussion! We have legacy projects that we still have to work on and update so I do not see what you are trying to say? Just for your information I have been working on third party applications (including ones I have written) so the they work in a Windows 10 (and if you wish Win 3.11 and 95  :mrgreen:) environment. As I do not work for Microsoft I do not have the source code to do any fixes directly  :?

As I also pointed out EFASS with all its faults is better than nothing at all and is a second choice as I cannot use Aivlasoft EFB  :shock:  So hey lighten up ...  8-)

I'm fairly certain I've not said anywhere on here that you're not entitled to an opinion and surely me opposing your opinion is just me expressing mine?

I never suggested you were dissing anyone I simply felt that the level of vitriol being aimed at what is one guy on his own developing this software was a bit much.

My point about the OS's was that why would you chose two OS's that were never used with FSX let alone EFB

Working for Microsoft wouldn't fix the problem would it if as you say the problem is with Aivlasoft?

As regards the source code I'd happily get you to sign a NDA and then let you chip in to see if the problem can be fixed unfortunately that's not my call maybe PM Urs and ask him

And sorry to be pedantic but you never said EFASS with all it's faults at all, all you said was "Well if we have to wait for version 2 to come out,its EFASS for me  :-o   :x  does almost the same job and its free!!"

(by the way I'm a paying EFASS customer)

I'm really not trying to pick a fight with you or anyone but I do get tired of people leaping to get the latest toy (Win10) that's out there and then complaining when there old ones don't play nicely.

From what I can Tell Urs has developed this and is has supported it on his own, it's not some big company with dozens of staff all frantically writing code. Chances are Urs has a day job as well...Of course he could be pulling the wool over my eye's and I'm talking complete boxxocks  :-P

Well in the end I am just using PFPX. I see your point  8-) AS an IT Company (I too have to develop and support on my own as well, this is not a unique thing) run various OS's, so as you say you are tired of people leaping to the new thing then complaining when things do not work. My point is it should not matter if you are a lone developer, most new things now a days come out with ample of notice giving ALL lots of time to look debug and fix then make a decision. Most developers call this forward thinking especially if you are charging people. You can not expect them to stay with old versions when nice new shiny stuff comes out and if you are struggling why not ask or get help with it. I also understand if some people cannot find the time but on a paid product you should always find time and communicate to existing customers, again in this day an age this is much simpler too!

Sorry but its a cut throat business out here not just for this product but for all products......... You snooze you loose ...... so its not just complaining about it not working it is asking why not with the time you/they have had? This is generic point of view not lust aimed at one person, company or product. Although in this case if it were me I would be mortified that paying customers are unable to use my product being on a new or old platform. But hey that's just me!  For me pro activeness sells rather than being left behind with disappointed customers new or old.

Anyway we always find that there are always 2 sides to every story whether it is right or wrong. I also appreciate your point of view though, but always say it as I see it........ :geek:    

I should also mention that I upgraded my flight sim setup to review how things are. I also test stuff and have been running the win10 tech builds for a while now...... Time for some sleep as been up all night working.......           

I admire your outlook regarding customer satisfaction, unfortunately there's not many like you out there. At then end of the day I think we all really just want the same thing we just have different ways of expressing it. Out of interest has anybody on here actually raised a ticket for this issue or has it all just been via the forum? scrub that I've just noticed there isn't a ticketing system in place

We're very sorry that EFB is not working for all users on Windows 10, and we have been collecting as much information as we can on what the issue(s) could be.

As he's stated, Urs has been running EFB on a clean install of Windows 10.  So it can work.  I however have upgraded my former Windows 7 "work PC" to Windows 10, and I have been able to install EFB and connect to my "sim PC" (which will stay on Windows 7 for the meantime).  No fuss, no muss.

My EFB installation was from a download off the site - not a "special" build at all.

The first tack that we'd like to take is to ask if users with the problem have the .Net Framework 3.5 enabled on their Windows 10 PCs.

If there are users who have 3.5 active and still have problems, then we will need to dig further....

Okay, I'm bummed out but still hopeful....

Here are some more triage-y questions....

• Are you using the release version of W10? 
  • Do/Did you have UAC (or whatever they call it these days) disabled?  (I had my W7 UAC disabled.)
  • Have you reinstalled EFB after your Windows upgrade? 

I'm personally most interested in the latter question - Urs did a clean install, so he had to have installed EFB afterwards.  I did an upgrade of a non-FlightSim PC, and then I installed SimConnect and then EFB afterwards.

If anyone can answer yes to all of my previous questions, and if you are still having problems running either the DataProvider or the DisplayUnit then I would ask you to PM Urs and myself with any Windows Application or System Event Log reports that you've recorded.

Okay, I'm bummed out but still hopeful....

Here are some more triage-y questions....

• Are you using the release version of W10? 
  • Do/Did you have UAC (or whatever they call it these days) disabled?  (I had my W7 UAC disabled.)
  • Have you reinstalled EFB after your Windows upgrade? 

I'm personally most interested in the latter question - Urs did a clean install, so he had to have installed EFB afterwards.  I did an upgrade of a non-FlightSim PC, and then I installed SimConnect and then EFB afterwards.

If anyone can answer yes to all of my previous questions, and if you are still having problems running either the DataProvider or the DisplayUnit then I would ask you to PM Urs and myself with any Windows Application or System Event Log reports that you've recorded.

Hi Travis

Yes to all three questions.

Will PM the error messages that I encountered.

Is there a specific location as to where I can locate the log-files for EFB?

Thanks and regards

Pauga

Ok, i followed Urs advice for a clean install, W10 Pro, and all went well until I started the DU:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9576657DD18B2017!2280&authkey=!ACjsy7EH5nrsE4A&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Finally had the DU running but with this error message:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9576657DD18B2017!2282&authkey=!AOg2pxpiBO3RrQo&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Somehow that got resolved with one of the following that I did - reinstall Simconnect as well as reinstall vcredist (both x86 and x64). Finally got to this:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9576657DD18B2017!2283&authkey=!AM5dmFBocdOGRIM&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

All was ok until a week ago,maybe a W10-system update -DU no longer started

Regards

Pauga