Cannot start Display Unit

Hi Pauga,

I actually downgraded to Win 8.1. Mainly because I did not want to be part of the Insider Program forever; as a bonus my EFB now works!

Regards

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Will hang out a bit hoping for a W10 fix.

Somehow my sim appears to perform a little better in W10 but could be because of the SSD upgrade :-). JK. Have problems with W8.1. for my Saitek Controllers, keeps dropping out so next option may most likely be W7. 

Too bad I cant install EFB on a separate laptop

Anyways, will keep checking in now and then

Have a great weekend

Pauga

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Pauga,

I have some news (the good kind, I'd hope).

As I'm sure you remember I downgraded Windows 8.1 and EFB was working OK. Since, I've upgraded again to W10 (full version this time) and surprisingly EFB worked as if nothing had gone wrong two weeks earlier.

I think it's worth noting that I used the Media Creation Tool and did an "Upgrade" keeping all my files and settings; instead of doing a "Clean Install" as I had done with the Technical Preview.

However, this last paragraph can be disregarded. I have formatted my SSD and done a clean install of Windows. First thing I did (literally) was download the EFB setup. Because as of right now I have not installed P3D, it only allowed for a Display Unit install. (Also, Windows asked for a .NET install when I first ran it [which is weird because I thought it would be preinstalled on Windows]). Upon running it, I noticed that the symptoms described at the start of the thread no longer seem to appear. I have yet to install P3D and the Data Provider, but, if the Display Unit behavior is any indication I'm sure it will go well.

As for why the DU was not working on the technical preview, I haven't a clue. I will complete my installs tomorrow and report if the functionality remains.

Keep well

Jerry

I'm using the official Windows 10 release and am having issues on both systems I have tried. One with a clean install and one with an upgrade installation. So unfortunately it seems that the solution is not so evident. It is unfortunate because everything else is running well on Windows 10.

Regards

Sean

Hello Pauga,

I have some news (the good kind, I'd hope).

As I'm sure you remember I downgraded Windows 8.1 and EFB was working OK. Since, I've upgraded again to W10 (full version this time) and surprisingly EFB worked as if nothing had gone wrong two weeks earlier.

I think it's worth noting that I used the Media Creation Tool and did an "Upgrade" keeping all my files and settings; instead of doing a "Clean Install" as I had done with the Technical Preview.

However, this last paragraph can be disregarded. I have formatted my SSD and done a clean install of Windows. First thing I did (literally) was download the EFB setup. Because as of right now I have not installed P3D, it only allowed for a Display Unit install. (Also, Windows asked for a .NET install when I first ran it [which is weird because I thought it would be preinstalled on Windows]). Upon running it, I noticed that the symptoms described at the start of the thread no longer seem to appear. I have yet to install P3D and the Data Provider, but, if the Display Unit behavior is any indication I'm sure it will go well.

As for why the DU was not working on the technical preview, I haven't a clue. I will complete my installs tomorrow and report if the functionality remains.

Keep well

Jerry

That's great news Jerry.  :ugeek:

Thanks for letting us know and will await your results, when available.

Have a great week

Pauga

I'm using the official Windows 10 release and am having issues on both systems I have tried. One with a clean install and one with an upgrade installation. So unfortunately it seems that the solution is not so evident. It is unfortunate because everything else is running well on Windows 10.

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean

Trust you are well.

For the upgrade option, was EFB installed and operating normally on the OS before the upgrade to W10?

Thanks and regards

And here another not so succesfull upgrader.

Upgraded both my flightsim PC to win 10 home and my support pc (where the display unit is running).

I am getting the exact same messages as shown bij TS., DU is not able to start up.

In windows features both .net framework 3.5 and 4.5 advanced services are selected.

EFB was indeed running well on this combination before the upgrade. (note that the flightsim pc was running win7 while the support pc was running win 8.1 but i guess that is not so relevant)

Hello all,

I am sorry to hear that some of you have not been able to get it working. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Make an upgrade to Windows 10 using the media creation tool

2. Before anything else, I downloaded the 1.5.1 setup.exe (it only let me install the DU). On first run, it prompted for installation of .NET 3.5. No weird letter spacing and everything was normal.

3. I created a bootable USB with the media creation tool and made a clean install from there.

4. Repeated step 2. All good.

5. Uninstalled EFB.

6. Install P3D and simconnect

7. Ran the EFB installer again and this time installed both DP and DU.

I hope this helps

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for this update.

Do i understand correctly you are running everything on one PC?  
Because i am running P3d en DP on different machine from DU. DP is giving me no problems. It is starting up properly and then waits for connection to DU.

Might be worth the try to deinstall EFB on the support machine and reinstall.

I do not look forward to a clean Win/10 install though

Just a question, do i need something like my licence code to reinstall or will it be saved over a deinstall/install on the same machine?

Hi Sean

Trust you are well.

For the upgrade option, was EFB installed and operating normally on the OS before the upgrade to W10?

Thanks and regards

It was working well under Windows 7 before the upgrade. It stopped working after the upgrade to W10.

Best Regards,

Sean

Hi All,

It sounds like its a compatibility issue with Win10 -- I just finished installing Win10 and its giving me the same issue

I've emailed Support and sent a copy of the screen

I hope we get an answer soon.

Take care,

NYC74

It is interesting, to say the least, that it's working for some people but not for others. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for this update.

Do i understand correctly you are running everything on one PC?  
Because i am running P3d en DP on different machine from DU. DP is giving me no problems. It is starting up properly and then waits for connection to DU.

Might be worth the try to deinstall EFB on the support machine and reinstall.

I do not look forward to a clean Win/10 install though

Just a question, do i need something like my licence code to reinstall or will it be saved over a deinstall/install on the same machine?

Hello, and yes, everything is on one PC.

Maybe you could go to Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset this PC and when prompted select keep files and see if that fixes it? It is the closest thing to a reinstall without losing anything.

I started the setup from windows explorer and it forced me to put a key before it continued. It did not let me put it in later. I don't know if running it from the BIOS is any different though.You can get your key using this tool http://janek2012.eu/ultimate-pid-checker/.

Take care

Jerry

@all,

finally I found the time to install "Win10 Pro 64bit" on a clean computer. I always install on a clean computer and I never do any operating system updates. This is my favorite way since the early days of Win NT and WinXP and it is based on experience. This way I have never had any troubles with new operating system versions. Whenever I have used the update option in the past, I ran into troubles. So I believe in clean installs. It's just my experience.

After a successful installation of EFB 1.5.1 (downloaded from the AivlaSoft website) I started the DataProvider and the first what I got was the following screen from Win10 which is telling me that EFB requires the .NET framework 3.5:

win10_1.png

I selected "Download and install this feature" and after some moments the installation was complete (see second screen):

win10_2.png

Then I started the DataProvider and added a trial license. After that, I could select the options and the DataProvider started with the analysis of the FSX scenery data. No problems so far.

The DisplayUnit startet up without any problems too.

I guess that it is important to install Win10 on a clean computer and not to do an update from Win8.1 or any other operating system.

@all,

finally I found the time to install "Win10 Pro 64bit" on a clean computer. I always install on a clean computer and I never do any operating system updates. This is my favorite way since the early days of Win NT and WinXP and it is based on experience. This way I have never had any troubles with new operating system versions. Whenever I have used the update option in the past, I ran into troubles. So I believe in clean installs. It's just my experience.

After a successful installation of EFB 1.5.1 (downloaded from the AivlaSoft website) I started the DataProvider and the first what I got was the following screen from Win10 which is telling me that EFB requires the .NET framework 3.5:

attachicon.gifwin10_1.png

I selected "Download and install this feature" and after some moments the installation was complete (see second screen):

attachicon.gifwin10_2.png

Then I started the DataProvider and added a trial license. After that, I could select the options and the DataProvider started with the analysis of the FSX scenery data. No problems so far.

I guess that it is important to install Win10 on a clean computer and not to do an update from Win8.1 or any other operating system.

I have tried it with a clean install and I did not have such good luck. It seems that Aivlasoft EFB needs to be one of the first things installed or it gives errors.

Best Regards,

Sean

Hi All

Update - all works well after a clean install on W10 Pro x64. I did change the install media to the "RTM-version" that was released after the 29th July.

Previously was on Insider Build 10240 that was released around the 20th July 2015.

Steps taken were as stated by Urs and Jerry-thank you Gents!

Will post pics later (dont know how to do that at the moment :-)) as well as list steps taken to complete the installation.

I did encounter an issue related to DotNet but this was resolved after I installed Simconnect from the P3D "redist" folder.

Keep well and regards

Pauga

Hi All

Update - all works well after a clean install on W10 Pro x64. I did change the install media to the "RTM-version" that was released after the 29th July.

Previously was on Insider Build 10240 that was released around the 20th July 2015.

Steps taken were as stated by Urs and Jerry-thank you Gents!

Will post pics later (dont know how to do that at the moment :-)) as well as list steps taken to complete the installation.

I did encounter an issue related to DotNet but this was resolved after I installed Simconnect from the P3D "redist" folder.

Keep well and regards

Pauga

That's really good to hear! I'm glad you got it working.

Regards

Jerry

Hi All,

This is a real show stopper for me, very frustrating, I would have hoped that the guys at Aivlasoft would have jumped on this to get it resolved. Will just have to wait and see if any thing comes soon as I absolutely love the EFB and don't like flying without it one bit.

Best Regards

Mike

Hi All,

This is a real show stopper for me, very frustrating, I would have hoped that the guys at Aivlasoft would have jumped on this to get it resolved. Will just have to wait and see if any thing comes soon as I absolutely love the EFB and don't like flying without it one bit.

Best Regards

Mike

I agree Mike. Come on guys lets find a simple fix to save your customers from a lot of hassle

I agree Mike. Come on guys lets find a simple fix to save your customers from a lot of hassle

Very strange that the one app I thought would not cause any  trouble with the windows 10 upgrade is indeed the only  app that doesn't work!   Moreover the only help we are getting here is; use a clean install only,  well it is too late for that for me and rolling back is not an option....so my question is; are you trying to sort out some sort of fix or what?

Steve Prowse    

@all,

attachicon.gifwin10_1.png

attachicon.gifwin10_2.png

Well, I'm not so sure about that. I did in-place upgrades on my FSX box AND my laptop. I like to run the DU on the laptop so I can go in another room and still monitor a long flight ;-)  The DU was working on the FSX build just fine after the upgrade. Then, after the first Windows Update the DU stopped working, and the fonts got all wonky in the DP settings. However, the laptop has undergone the SAME updates, but the DU works flawlessly.

What's interesting is that the FSX build is running AMD FX and the laptop is running Intel i5. I've also noticed that the fault (looking at the application event log) starts in KERNELBASE.DLL.  The castle .net libraries make calls to this Windows API, so I have to wonder if the OS core components are architecture sensitive.

I request that Aivlasoft at least acknowledge this issue and let us know if it is fixable, ideally without having to wipe everything and starting over. It's not just the issue itself that's annoying, it's the lack of response.

Rob.