Cannot start Display Unit

Hello, I recently decided to install EFB and opted out for a trial at first. I downloaded the 1.5.1 setup executable and ran it as per the Installation and Configuration pdf.

I started the Data Provider, set it up and was configured with no errors (except some really large letter spacing). I then started the Display Unit, set it up and after the splash screen I immediately get this message post-9249-0-58533900-1436753322_thumb.png

I click OK and then it crashes. Has anyone a clue as to why this happens? I've tried reinstalling it and also reinstalling SimConnect to no avail.

Regards

Jerry M.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jerry,

To be honest, I have no experience yet with Windows 10, especially because it's not yet officially released.

Have a look at the "Turn on or off Windows features" dialog from the "Windows Control Panel - Uninstall a program" dialog  (if this is still available in Windows 10) and verify whether the .NET Framework 3.5.1 components are explicitely ticked. You don't need to tick the two WCF options below (see the enclosed image).

Windows features.png

Hi Jerry

I am running the data provider on a Windows 7 pc  and the display unit on a windows 10 and that works fine so maybe there is an issue with the DP running on windows 10. I don;t think my license will allow me to install on another computer otherwise I'd load it up and try it for you.

Hi Jerry,

To be honest, I have no experience yet with Windows 10, especially because it's not yet officially released.

Have a look at the "Turn on or off Windows features" dialog from the "Windows Control Panel - Uninstall a program" dialog  (if this is still available in Windows 10) and verify whether the .NET Framework 3.5.1 components are explicitely ticked. You don't need to tick the two WCF options below (see the enclosed image).

attachicon.gifWindows features.png

I suppose something has change internally in Windows that doesn't play nicely with EFB. I have these settings post-9249-0-91234400-1436892719_thumb.png

Hi Jerry

I am running the data provider on a Windows 7 pc  and the display unit on a windows 10 and that works fine so maybe there is an issue with the DP running on windows 10. I don;t think my license will allow me to install on another computer otherwise I'd load it up and try it for you.

That's my guess. I get this weird letters as well post-9249-0-94597200-1436892810_thumb.png.

Thank you for the offer. I have another PC with Windows 7, but because P3D is not installed there, I wont be able to install the DP, right? I might try it the other way around (DU on W7 and DP on W10) and see how that goes. 

Regards

Jerry

I suppose something has change internally in Windows that doesn't play nicely with EFB. I have these settings attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

That's my guess. I get this weird letters as well attachicon.gifCapture 1.PNG.

Thank you for the offer. I have another PC with Windows 7, but because P3D is not installed there, I wont be able to install the DP, right? I might try it the other way around (DU on W7 and DP on W10) and see how that goes. 

Regards

Jerry

DP has to be on the Flight sim computer but the DU can be anywhere on the same network. I've just downloaded the demo and installed it on my Win10 pc which has the steam version of FSX on it and both the DP and DU are working fine on there with no issues I can see at all. I'd go with Urs suggestion and check your .net stuff.

i've got 393295

Weird. I just updated my .net to be on the same version as you and reinstalled but it keeps happening. Honestly, I don't think .net is the problem but rather Castle.Microkernel.dll. I tried updating it but now I don't even get the error screen, it just crashes. Oh well, thanks for your help and hopefully this gets sorted out in the future

Hi All

Having the same issues. I note that it has not been tested on W10. Am running W10 Pro Build 10240. Was running previously on W8.1 Pro. 

Installation, activation runs ok. Error encountered when trying to run the DU. Same error message:

Thanks and regards

Hi All

Having the same issues. I note that it has not been tested on W10. Am running W10 Pro Build 10240. Was running previously on W8.1 Pro. 

Installation, activation runs ok. Error encountered when trying to run the DU. Same error message:

Thanks and regards

OK I was on build 10166 when I last replied I've now upgraded to TH1 Professional 10240 and that's working fine as well I can post screen grabs of my settings if anyone wants them 

Thats the route I took and all was well until the DU was to start (the configuration screen came up ok).

I'm trying to install DotNetFX 3.5.1, using the offline installer, into 10 but nothing is coming up (even tried both the Windows Features and DISM route which worked for earlier builds) however it hangs at the extraction part and then nothing further.

Tried disabling my AV, Bitdefender. and tried a couple of reinstalls however still no joy :-(

Edit: Have also tried compatibility modes for 8 through to XP SP3 and running as Admin, however no joy as well.

Gonna have to park it for now unless something works out real soon.

Keep well and regards

Hi All

Further update for those who may be waiting to  make the move to Windows 10- still not working at the moment on W10 Pro Build 10240. W10 received ,Net 4.6 via an update today, however for me, trying to bring up the DU still displays the same message (as in OP).

Note also that the solution by Brian, as per the thread, may no longer work since MS has deactivated trial keys for now (unless you are on an activated earlier build, not Build 10240, of the preview already)

All have a great week :-)

Pauga (Apologies to the Mods for not signing my earlier posts)

I've just found out that the 10240 update corrupted a load of files some of which were to do with Outlook (I couldn't send any emails) the fix was to run sfc /scannow in a admin command prompt although when it finished it said there were files it couldn't fix on restart outlook was working again.

my point is it's possible that the 10240 update may have corrupted other files that could be causing your issues so it may be worth trying sfc /scannow. 

I've just found out that the 10240 update corrupted a load of files some of which were to do with Outlook (I couldn't send any emails) the fix was to run sfc /scannow in a admin command prompt although when it finished it said there were files it couldn't fix on restart outlook was working again.

my point is it's possible that the 10240 update may have corrupted other files that could be causing your issues so it may be worth trying sfc /scannow. 

Morning Brian

Thanks and will try that this morning

Thank you

Pauga

Morning Brian

Thanks and will try that this morning

Thank you

Pauga

Hello Pauga.

Have you had any luck? If not, our best bet is that past July 29th with the official release of W10 the dev can look into it and work on trying to make it compatible (or create some temporary workaround) with W10 and/or .NET 4.6.

Jerry

Hello Pauga.

Have you had any luck? If not, our best bet is that past July 29th with the official release of W10 the dev can look into it and work on trying to make it compatible (or create some temporary workaround) with W10 and/or .NET 4.6.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Good morning, and, not as yet.

Yes, nothing we can do until after the 29th or so :-). Still trying, hoping one of the current W10 Updates gets to fix the DotNet issues.

Regards

Pauga

hoping one of the current W10 Updates gets to fix the DotNet issues.

Hello, 

Honestly if I were Microsoft, I would not rush the fix and resume working on it after the 29th. Specially since we are so close to the release date. Oh well, it is what it is, let's just hope for the best.

Jerry

Hello, 

Honestly if I were Microsoft, I would not rush the fix and resume working on it after the 29th. Specially since we are so close to the release date. Oh well, it is what it is, let's just hope for the best.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Trues up, early days yet.

Busy upgrading home PC's to W10.

Keep well