Usage of the "Create Garmin GPS flight plans" option

Richard,

In good spirits, I can not accept that self-directed epithet which you used - this dialog that we've been engaging in has shown that the descriptions in the manual(s) could use some freshening-up.

And coming as it did... during the 1.5.0 testing that had some changes to the behavior of the "current_garmin" file - I needed to step through the processes to ensure that we hadn't made a mistake somewhere.

So... it's good all around! :)

Just noticed a side-effect using this autoload flight plan feature in EFB/ASN and it took a while until I realized what was happening.

I'm doing all my flying online on VATSIM using a pilot client called FSInn and the last couple of flights just before pushback when I'm sending in my flight plan to VPA (the virtual airline I'm flying for) I've had error messages saying I must include an alternate airport, enter my planned cruise level expressed in feet and some other things as well. This has puzzled me since I'm sure I filled out the FP correctly but sure enough when I open up the flight plan in FSInn for some reason I've noticed this information indeed is incorrect/missing.

First I thought maybe ATC ammended my flight plans because sometimes they do without letting you know so I fixed what was wrong and resent the flight plan and all was good. However today this same thing happened again and this time with no ATC online. What I then found out was that appearently not only ASN picks up the flight plan from EFB but also FSInn. I have asked over in the VATSIM FSInn support forum if there's any way to stop FSInn from automatically picking the flight plans and haven't received an answer yet but thought I would mention it in here as well for anyone else with the same issue wondering what is happening to the FSInn flight plan.

Of course there's an easy solution to this by simply stop using this autoload flight plan features in EFB and ASN again if it's not possible to stop FSInn from picking this info up but I would be happy if there was another way since I do like this feature and especially now when I finally was able to make it work :)

For anyone interested and with access to VATSIM's support forum the thread where I asked about this is located here -> http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63305

Richard,

Which service is not happy with the EFB flight plans? Is it VPA or FSInn or both??

I will look at that thread later, but I'm not sure how to express an alternate airport via an FSX flight plan. EFB uses the cruise altitude (in feet I believe).

If you could present a "complete and valid" FSInn / VPA PLN file, we will have a look at it.

Hello Travis,

It's only VPA that seems to have issues and what it doesn't like is that the alternate airport is removed, that the flight level is expressed like FL330 rather than 33000 (feet) and I've also seen it modifies the route putting in all waypoints along the route.

However I don't see this as an issue with EFB but more like an unfortunate combination between how FSInn works and how my VA wants the FP formatted. The best thing would be if there was a way to have FSInn not picking up the FP just like you can in ASN having the 'Auto load flight plan' option checked or not.