Usage of the "Create Garmin GPS flight plans" option

I've checked this option to have EFB automatically send the loaded and activated FP to FSX but I can't get this to work and I guess this is because I'm running EFB in a networked environment with the Data Provider running on my main FSX computer and the DU on a second PC.

Could someone confirm if this is supposed to work when running the DU on a second PC so I know if the issue is on my side or if it's not supposed to work?

TIA,

OK, thanks for confirming this but then I don't see why it doesn't work in my case because when activating the FP in EFB I should then be able to see the FP on the Nav log using the built-in kneeboard in FSX right? In my case it says "There is no active flight plan"

I'll check this later today. (It should work, but well... we'll see.)

I've been using P3D of late, but I need to make an FSX flight in my afternoon.

Although I've not used the kneeboard for that... I usually pull up the GPS gauge and see if a route is active. In fact I'm 99% certain that I was doing this in P3D with EFB (ahem) over the past few days since I was making short runs in my Caravan....

Richard,

Yes operating a remote Display Unit did indeed write a garmin file to my FSX documents and loaded it into my precious old default Caravan. The GPS can see it, the Navboard can see it, even Opus whom I have watching for flight plans saw everything and then auto fetched the weather.

I'm running 1.5.0 Build 6 though and its option to write garmin files is on the DataProvider. The DisplayUnits only need one remote path... and that's the one for the DataProvider. The DataProvider has the paths necessary for FSX or P3D flightplans.

Regards,

Guest William

Richard - have you actually got a file in the FS files directory in your docs folder called 'EFB_current_garmin.pln' ? I mistakenly deleted mine some while ago whilst clearing out some old files and had the same problem as you. If this is the case attached is a zipped file which if put into the folder should solve the problem.

EFB_current_garmin.zip

Thanks for the file, it wasn't in my FSX Documents folder so I put it there but still no FPs are loaded in FSX as far as I can tell when I load and activate a FP in EFB.

I'm sure it's me doing something wrong but no big deal and please don't waste any more of your time trying to solve this for me although very kind of you because this really is not a big problem for me, I just load the same FP manually in ASN and it only take me a couple of seconds.

Merry Christmas :)

Richard,

What William is asking is critical - if you do not have the "garmin" file in your FS files folder (FSX or P3D) then something is not right.

Are you "activating" your flights while the simulator is running???

If you are - and if your EFB version < 1.5.0 - then we can continue here.

If you are - and if your EFB version = 1.5.0 - then let us go to the testers forum. ;)

I am hoping it is the latter, but either way you need to have your aircraft ready before you "activate" in order to have the GPS pick up your route....

FSX has been running when I activate the FP in EFB but one thing that might be the cause of my problem is I've been in a cold and dark NGX. Maybe for this to work the aircraft need to be powered up and/or you need to be in a default FSX aircraft equipped with a GPS?

Being cold-and-dark should not matter... I would think.

What actually happens is that if the simulator is running, EFB generates the "EFB_current_garmin.PLN" file and then requests the simulator (maybe using FSUIPC???) to load that flightplan.

If the file is generated in the correct folder location, then I can't imagine what isn't happening.... :(

The new plan is announced through Simconnect I believe.

FS does disable ATC interaction when the radio is turned off or if there is no power through the avionics system, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if FS stopped it working in a cold and dark situation, I must admit that I don't believe that is what is going on here though. I've never tested that though in the NGX as the average 737 pilot may only have to go through a complete cold and dark setup probably twice a year.

Just did another test and now with the NGX powered up but still no go. I've configured ASN to autoload the active FP and I've configured EFB to create this Garmin file. I'm not 100% sure where this file should end up? I checked under C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files but nothing in there. I also checked EFB's DataProvider to check for any error messages but nothing.

However and once again...this really isn't a big problem so please don't waste any more time on this guys. I'll do just fine without this feature.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

OK Travis, here's another report to satisfy your programming needs :D

Just installed the 1.5 update and noticed some differences. The option to create Garmin FPs has been moved from the DU -> DP and I made sure that option was checked.

Now running this new version I also received an error message in the DP window when I activated a FP in EFB saying...

Exception from FSX received LOAD_FLIGHTPLAN FAILED

Never seen this before and when I tried a second time I again received the same message but this time with (Repeated...) at the end.

This was with the PMDG NGX in a "cold & dark" state.

I then did another test after powering the a/c up (switching the battery ON and also connected GND PWR). After doing this and again activating the FP in EFB this time it looked better because I noticed a message in the DP window saying...

Loading flightplan to GARMIN GPS

...however I still don't seem to have an active FP in FSX because when I bring up the kneeboard looking at the Nav log tab just like before it says...

There is no active flight plan

...and also although I have the 'Auto load simulator flight plan' option checked in Active Sky Next still no FP is loaded in ASN when I activate the FP in EFB.

I also checked for the EFB_current_garmin.pln file and now I did find it under...

F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX

Maybe that is the problem if it's supposed to end up in the C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder for this automation to work?

I also checked for the EFB_current_garmin.pln file and now I did find it under...

F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX

Maybe that is the problem if it's supposed to end up in the C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder for this automation to work?

That should be it Richard! AAMOF, that file should be written to the "Flight plan folder" of your current simulator as specified on the Data Provider / Settings / Simulators tab.

And I just verified that the file is written exactly when you click "Activate" in EFB - no "Save" needed.

OK, but if I change that path to C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files from F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX I don't think I'll be able to enter a company route in the NGX FMC since the FMC will look for any route I enter into the company field in that path?

Richard,

I use the PMDG Flight Plan Handler section that's accessed from the "Save" dialog to place my PMDG company files. (The "RTE files.") The "garmin" files are nothing more than simple FSX PLN files.

But perhaps you're doing something other than what I'm thinking that you're doing??? :lol:

[attachment=0]efb pmdg rte.png[/attachment]

I'm happy to tell you everything is now working perfectly and just as I thought the problem was on my side all the time ;)

What I did was to change the path as you suggested to the default FSX Documents folder and stupid me of course you were correct regarding the PMDG FPs and how they are not affected by changing this path but instead rely on what folder you specify in the 'Save' dialog.

Another step I had to take to make the FP autoload in ASN was to first manually load the EFB_current_garmin.pln once in ASN's 'Load FP' dialog to learn ASN the correct path. Previously I had ASN pointing to the PMDG FP folder. This was also clearly explained in the ASN documentation.

Although this was never a big issue I must admit it's very convenient now to have any FP I activate in EFB automatically loaded into ASN!

Thanks for not loosing faith in me and solving this issue Travis :D