Crash with EFB running - Exception from HRESULT: 0xC000014B

I have been running the EFB evaluation program and was deciding to buy it or not. However, it causes my FSX to freeze then crash after about 5 mins of flying. It is repeatable each time. Without EFB loaded...FSX works perfectly. The error message produced is below. Do you have any suggestions how to resolve this? I love your program but so far I haven't been able to make a successful flight with it running.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC000014B): Exception from HRESULT: 0xC000014B

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.SimConnect.RequestDataOnSimObjectType(Enum RequestID, Enum DefineID, UInt32 dwRadiusMeters, SIMCONNECT_SIMOBJECT_TYPE type)

at a5.f()

at a5.a(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider

Assembly Version: 1.1.0.23865

Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe

log4net

Assembly Version: 1.2.10.0

Win32 Version: 1.2.10.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/log4net.DLL

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

DevExpress.Utils.v9.1

Assembly Version: 9.1.4.0

Win32 Version: 9.1.4.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/DevExpress.Utils.v9.1.DLL

Castle.Windsor

Assembly Version: 1.0.3.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.3.5114

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Castle.Windsor.DLL

Castle.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Castle.Core.DLL

Castle.MicroKernel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Castle.MicroKernel.DLL

Rhino.Commons

Win32 Version: 2.0.0.1414

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Rhino.Commons.DLL

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Rhino.Commons.Clr

Win32 Version: 2.0.0.1414

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Rhino.Commons.Clr.DLL

System.Web

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll

Castle.DynamicProxy2

Assembly Version: 2.0.3.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.3.5114

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Castle.DynamicProxy2.DLL

AivlaSoft.Efb.Common

Assembly Version: 1.1.0.23864

Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/AivlaSoft.Efb.Common.DLL

System.Core

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

DevExpress.Data.v9.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/DevExpress.Data.v9.1.DLL

DevExpress.XtraEditors.v9.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/DevExpress.XtraEditors.v9.1.DLL

System.Data

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

DevExpress.XtraBars.v9.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/DevExpress.XtraBars.v9.1.DLL

Desaware.MachineLicense20

Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.3.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Desaware.MachineLicense20.DLL

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

Desaware.Dls.Interfaces20

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AivlaSoft/EFB/Desaware.Dls.Interfaces20.DLL

System.Security

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Security/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Security.dll

Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect

Assembly Version: 10.0.61259.0

Win32 Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect/10.0.61259.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll

msvcm80

Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.4927

Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.4927

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5/msvcm80.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hi,

please sign your posts with your real-life first name, thanks (according to the forum rules).

I'm afraid that I can't give you the right advice because this error is reported by the SimConnect.dll and unfortunately it is not described in the SDK. ACES has also closed its door, so nobody is around to be asked for support. I know that this doesn't help you in any manner, but if you google for '0xC000014B' you will see that many other add-ons which are using SimConnect too, must have similar problems. The solutions that are mentioned in their forums reach from re-installing the add-on to re-installing the operating system ... For me as a developer using SimConnect with EFB this is by far the worst situation because I can't help. This is really annoying and I would be glad to know the solution. On many systems there is no problem but on several there is. Hmmmh, I can only apologize for the inconvenience.

Some good news Urs....I decided to do some further testing of my own configuration to try to troubleshoot this error further. I was able to get everything including EFB running correctly with FSX for a number of flights. I did two things:

1. I changed the startup sequence as follows: a) start FSX and load a default aircraft (Cessna or 737), B) load the EFB data provider and then c) load the EFB display unit. Previously I was loading FSX last in the sequence.

2. In the EFB Display unit settings, I unchecked "show wind direction arrow..."

I'm not sure that I actually did anything but these changes allowed me to complete two flights successfully. As I said, previously, I could not complete more than 5 minutes worth of flying on my system. Those 2 changes affected something. Maybe this might point you in the right direction regarding a fix? It might even be worth a complimentary reg key !!!

Rob

Hi Urs,

unfortunately the HRESULT:0x000014B error hit me, too. :cry:

After configuring a new computer system I reevaluate EFB under Windows 7 64bit and strongly love to buy it because it's a great program and one of the best addons ever developed for FSX. Too bad that the error occurs yesterday so that I'm not sure anymore whether I can spend money for EFB or not. I'll have to experiment in the next days what might be the culprit on my system.

In the meantime I keep on hoping that a fix for this undocumented error might be found. Seems that a number of users are affected.

I keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Christian

Hi Christian,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Can you give me some more information on the following items:

- when does it happen? After a certain time of flying? After a certain situation (pause-mode on/off, slew-mode on/off), starting another add-on, other certain moments?

- do you run other add-ons at the same time? Do they also stop?

- did you already try what Rob mentioned?

Can you send me all the logfiles to support@aivlasoft.com?

Travis and Urs,

unfortunately I'm out of time for flying for a few days. So I cannot answer all your questions at the moment. What I can say so far is:

• I'm running FSX with Acceleration Pack.
    I have numerous addons. The only ones that were running when the freeze occured were FSUIPC (registered) and EZCA (EZdoc Camera)
    I was not aware of a special use of FSX at the moment of freeze (no slew, no pause). I was just changing frequently between FSX and EFB (running on the same PC but on a second monitor, both in windowed mode).
    The freeze happened about 10 minutes after takeoff. I don't know yet if that is reproduceable.
    The start sequence was roughly what Rob suggested: 1) FSX, 2) load an aircraft (Carenado 185, no default aircraft!), 3) EFB Data Provider, 4) EFB Display Unit, 5) creating an activated route in EFB

Surely I will comment on that in depth as soon as I have time again to get back to my home PC. Thanks for looking into this!

Happy weekend!

Christian

Hi @ all,

I tried exactly what Rob suggested but it didn't help... :cry:

Rob, was your solution succesful for your FSX? Did you get rid of the crashes?

Urs, I sent you a couple of logfiles (two mails with different files from different flights) and hope you can do anything to fix this matter. It's simply not possible to end a flight at the moment with EFB running.

I keep my fingers crossed that there are SimConnect gurus out there finding Columbus' Egg... 8-)

Cheers

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm testing this great piece of software, I'm very impressed.

Unfortunatly I encounter the same issue : Crash with EFB running - Exception from HRESULT: 0xC000014B

I was flying PMDG 4100 from LFRB to LFPO, and the crash happened in very short final after around 90 min flight... frustrating

It was my first flight using EFB.

I'll try tomorrow using fsxflyer procedure

I'll let you know

Louis

PS: is their any chance that this issue is link to EFB display changing automatically the map scale (from departure to enroute or in my case from approach to ground) ?

Louis,

let's summarize what facts we know as per today:

- SimConnect is used by several add-ons simultaneously

- EFB and SimConnect are mostly running among many other add-ons like FSUIPC, WideFS, ActiveSky, REX, severeal Add-on Sceneries etc.

- Every version of FSX (RTM, SP1, SP2, Acceleration) brings it's own version of SimConnect (EFB needs version 10.0.61259.0)

- SimConnect is no longer supported

- Documentation about non-standard situations is rare

- Although SimConnect logfiles can be created, the content of the files is not known (so it's like reading in a "glass bowl")

- The error code 0xC000014B means "STATUS_PIPE_BROKEN"

- It is not known WHICH pipe is meant by the exception message

- The exception is not raised on every computer that is running EFB

- The exception is only raised at a minority of all computers

- The exception is being raised under several and different conditions

- The exception is not reproducible by applying a certain procedure (do this and then do that and then the exception is raised ...), it is raised under currently unknown circumstances

- EFB is requesting data FROM SimConnect every one second (the amount of the requested data is small)

- EFB is only setting the time TO SimConnect, which can be de-activated

- EFB is loading a flightplan TO SimConnect when pressing "Activate", which can be de-activated

- EFB is programmed to catch and show the exception that is raised by SimConnect

As per today's knowledge it seems that SimConnect gets somehow 'overloaded' under certain circumstances. Then the exception will be raised. So it seems to be a performance bottleneck.

All reported and therefore known problems could be solved by applying one or more of the following steps:

a) reducing the amount of simultaneously running add-ons using SimConnect

B) reducing AI traffic

c) reducing (locking) the frames per second (FPS) to 25.

d) not running other programs on the computer that are not flight simulation related (like email programs, browsers, sound and video-players, skype ...)

e) new installation of the operating system

Thanks for your quick answer and your advice

As of now, I was using at the same time during the "crashed" flight:

- Active Sky, Ivap, FSairline, TS, some goflight modules

- unlimited fps

- no AI traffic

- no other running pgm (at least known :)

Let me try a flight without all these addon, with frame locked at 25 /s

Louis

PS: EFB display is running on a remote computer

I have had these "0xC000014B", too

You can have a look into the topic in the FSUIPC support forum:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=80256

I have had the error using the "FSUIPC VRInsight Mod" where you can assign VrInsight Modules directly with FSUIPC.

Pete solved this issue fortunately, so if you use VRInsight modules and this mod, please update FSUIPC to the latest version 4.616

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=74352

(You should do this anyway)

Beside this I don't have any issues with EFB now.

It sometimes happens, that FSX is not closing thouroughly, so the FSX process have to be forced to end via the Task Manager. In this case I get a HRESLT error, too, but thats no wonder and no fault of EFB.

ActiveSky shows in its log the same error (HRESULT etc) as EFB, but you see the errors more obvisously in EFBs DataProvider, ASE is simply not updating the weather and gives no error message. You have to restart ASE.

I have made a long, frustating journey to till I get sorted out, that the FSUIPC VRInsight mod is causing this error (reinstalling FSX, updating SimConnect and in the end reinstalling the complete OS)

So, the first question is, if you guys use the FSUIPC VRInsight mod?

A complete other failure is the crash in short final with IVAP.

IVAP has some bugs and I have had this short final crashes, too.

But for my opinion they have nothing to do with EFB, ASE etc, just simply with IVAP.

Look into IVAO forum for some "solutions"...

for crashes when switching between FSX and EFB or other programs (ALT tabbing) you should put the uiautomationcore.dll into FSX folder.

look at AVSIM thread:

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=249211&view=findpost&p=1599877

And, last but not least: for crashes, when activating the route:

Some Addons don't like the route updating, e.g. the F1 Cessna Mustang.

If you have entered a SID or STAR into Mustangs G1000 and make a route update via EFB you get a instant crash of the Sim.

I have not tested all my addons with this, but maybe some high end addons have some problems with it?

Simply deactivate the automatic route activating in EFB options.

(It would be a nice feature that we could choose in EFBs interface if datas should be sended to FSX or not; choosing it via EFB options is not as handy, Urs ;) )

But i doubt, that Carenado planes would be affected....

result: there a re several problems wich can force FSX to crash and as a result "crashes" EFB, too. "Crash" is not the right word, but you get the HRESULT error.

Hope I have helped for some further investigations....

Guenter

EDIT:

As per today's knowledge it seems that SimConnect gets somehow 'overloaded' under certain circumstances. Then the exception will be raised. So it seems to be a performance bottleneck.

All reported and therefore known problems could be solved by applying one or more of the following steps:

a) reducing the amount of simultaneously running add-ons using SimConnect

B) reducing AI traffic

c) reducing (locking) the frames per second (FPS) to 25.

d) not running other programs on the computer that are not flight simulation related (like email programs, browsers, sound and video-players, skype ...)

e) new installation of the operating system

As I don't have any HRESULT problems any more, I would like to say, that no point of this list will solve the problem.

If this HRESULT is not caused by FSUIPC VRInsight mod, it must be one other program.

Programs which are running on my system (WIN7 64 Prof) without problems simultaneously :

ASE, FSC, EFB, Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox.

(and all other programs, too e.g. photoshop, Indesign etc...)

I have searched very long with this HRESULT issue and can say in my case(!) for sure, that points a) to e) does not have any effect...

Maybe IVAP is making some problems....

Guenther,

as I wrote above I already came across your topic over in the FSUIPC forum and I installed the latest version of FSUIPC just to see if it helps although I don't have VRInsight modules.

Unfortunately for me the error persists. I could rule out FSUIPC as a possible culprit. (I got a crash even when totally removing FSUIPC.dll from my modules folder. :? )

Even without any other addons using the simconnect interface I got HRESULT: 0xC000014B, but only when flying over a special photoscenery. Disabling it or flying in other areas never showed me the error since.

Perhaps I'm just lucky (because others encounter the error in different corners of the world), perhaps the scenery files are broken or erroneous - I don't know. I just seem to avoid the problem but I'm afraid it's still there. Somewhere... :geek:

Cheers, Christian

as I wrote above I already came across your topic over in the FSUIPC forum and I installed the latest version of FSUIPC just to see if it helps although I don't have VRInsight modules.

I have overseen this, sorry

Even without any other addons using the simconnect interface I got HRESULT: 0xC000014B, but only when flying over a special photoscenery. Disabling it or flying in other areas never showed me the error since.

which scenery is that?

what I wanted to point out is, that we have several errors and reasons why FSX could crash.

EFB just shows the error very obviously with the DataProvider.

ASE is also showing this error, but only in the logfiles, so I think, most users do not notice it.

So I'm very sure, the error is simconnect related and has nothing to do with EFB - beside the fact, that EFB needs simconnect to work...

I think you're absolutely right, Guenther. EFB visualizes the problem but it seems that it cannot be blamed for being the problem. I wasn't aware of the behaviour of ASE and I think I should test this on my machine.

The scenery I have problems with is Aerosoft's Germany VFR (esp. region North). But I cannot identify any problems there and even at Aerosoft there are no errors reported from other users. So I really don't know where to look at exactly.

So Urs might be right: we have an idea of the error but we cannot track it down. Therefore it might help to fiddle around with FSX or to establish workarounds (FSUIPC in your case, uiautomationcore.dll in other cases, avoiding special airports in conjunction with EFB in my case).

Really strange problem...

Christian

Hi all, good news

After yesterday FSX crash on short final, I have done again my LFRB - LFPO flight on IVAO => good news ... no crash

Only difference is FSCommander was not on (I don't know if it was important or not) and I kept unlimited fps in FSX settings.

FYI:

Active sky Evo and EFB display are running on a separate networked PC.

IVAP, TeamSpeak, FSAirline and FS2crew on the main PC

Thank you for this great piece of software !

Louis

Hi Louis,

have a look into the IVAO IVAP Forum: there are several reports of crashes....mainly on short final. (but no real solution unfortunately)

I'm affected, too.

And theres no logic behind: I have crashes with system deep addons and with no system deep addons, at high traffic and low traffic. And I have several days absolutely no crash.

My conclusion is, thats 100% a IVAP fault...

Urs - I know I can't speak for everyone, but personally I don't feel the need to have this updating every single second (except maybe during taxi at an unfamiliar airport). I'm curious to know if you would consider making some options available for our update rate, say a range we could pick ourselves from a drop down menu between 1-30 seconds in length. Even if it doesnt cure the crashing, the program might run more effeiciently overall for those users (like myself) who have slower computers and networks.

For instance...during taxi i may choose 5 seconds as my update rate and then during enroute i may change it to update only every 20 seconds. It might also help if you could offer more timeout options instead of maxing it out at 10...could you possibly offer a few more options perhaps going as high as 20?

If you're able to do this I'd be very eager to try it out!

Dave

Dave,

I will add a new option where one may select the refresh interval for the drawing of the charts. Maybe I add one option per chart type so you can set this individually.

I guess, that increasing the values for the timeout would just lead into other problems. If the DataProvider has to wait more than 10 seconds until it gets back a simple "ack" from the DisplayUnit then you most probably have a problem either with the network or the performance of the DisplayUnit computer. Normally the "ack" is being sent back within some milliseconds. So under normal operations this parameter can be neglected. It is more or less implemented as a fallback if the network cable is being unplugged in a uncontrolled or unwanted manner. Then the DataProvider will terminate the connection to the lost DisplayUnit.

Urs - about the "ack" timeouts...understood. Adding the update option for each chart sounds really good, I didn't want to cause you a ton of extra work as it was just a thought to test out at first, but i like your way of thinking :-)

...looking forward to testing it as soon as its ready.

Dave

Hello,

First of all, excellent piece of software. It's making my life as a virtual pilot a lot easier.

Recently I downloaded the demo and installed EFB for use with 2 PC's. I did of couple of "testrides" and EFB worked like a charm.

Last tuesday I performed a online flight with IVAO. After aprox 40 minutes, out of blue, a FSX/IVAP crash.

Last night, a new attempt, online flight with IVAO. When the aircraft started to move (taxi) the display unit kept on disconnecting/reconnecting and in the end a CTD.

Directly after this I performed a short domestic flight. Not online. Everything worked well.

I'm not stating that EFB causes the problem but clearly the combination IVAP-EFB is not a lucky one. Offline no problems, online CTD's.

I looked in the dataprovider log and there it was, the Exception from HRESULT: 0xC000014B error. I will attach the logfile to this post.

Setup:

Main PC

Intel® quad Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz 6gb RAM

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

FSX with SP2, FSuipc, IVAP, teamspeak, PMDG js4100, EFB dataprovider.

2e PC

Intel pentium 4, 1gb RAM

Windows XP with all service packs

EFB displayunit

I hope this will point you in a direction because I really love your work and will purchase it when a solution/workaround is available.

If I can do something to make you understand this problem better, ask, I would be glad if I can be of any assistance

Kind regards,

Joost de Wit

Update.

Made it work on 2 PC's and........ online.

What did I do?

Very simple. Install framework 4.0. No connection between FSC and FSX. Did 2 online flights. Both with over an hour flighttime and online. No problems at all.

Grtz joost

• 3 months later...
Hi,

please sign your posts with your real-life first name, thanks (according to the forum rules).

I'm afraid that I can't give you the right advice because this error is reported by the SimConnect.dll and unfortunately it is not described in the SDK. ACES has also closed its door, so nobody is around to be asked for support. I know that this doesn't help you in any manner, but if you google for '0xC000014B' you will see that many other add-ons which are using SimConnect too, must have similar problems. The solutions that are mentioned in their forums reach from re-installing the add-on to re-installing the operating system ... For me as a developer using SimConnect with EFB this is by far the worst situation because I can't help. This is really annoying and I would be glad to know the solution. On many systems there is no problem but on several there is. Hmmmh, I can only apologize for the inconvenience.

This is the only reason that is stopping me from buying your software, which I do think is amazing but I'd rather stay away from the "heresult 14B error". Simmconnect sucks!

David Di Domizio

Hi David,

just a question: did you get this error once, twice or more often during the trial period?

I know that this exception is not good and therefore we got in touch with Microsoft some weeks ago ... but unfortunately they cannot help. It's a sad story I know.

If you keep away from EFB because of the fact that EFB is using SimConnect, then I strongly recommend you to also keep away from all other add-on's that are using SimConnect. But I assume that this must be quite a lot of add-ons.

Just my two cents.