EFB version 2.0 status

Hi Jos,

I sent an inquiry to the developers at Majestic but so far I did not received a reply yet. But anyway, in their forum I found an interesting thread:

http://majesticsoftware.com/forums/discussion/1202/loading-flight-plan-or-rte-into-fmsfmc/p1

Let's wait and see whether it will be implemented or not in one of their further releases.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ray,

I'm working since more than three years on it ... Because there is no comparable work, I have no experience to say how long it takes. I'm on a good way and "this year" seems to be possible, but sometimes, unexpected things happen which then take weeks to fix. It's not that I don't want to say how long it still takes, it's simply not possible. I could say 6 months and then the unexpected happens, and then it takes some months more ... Believe me, I'm also very keen to have this project finished as soon as possible, hopefully this year.

• 2 months later...

Concerning the Majestic Flight Plans. This small programm is a help for converting flight plans to the Majestic FMS data. I quote from Bernd Laass - 'This is a helper for those who are using the Majestic Dash8 and are looking for something that makes it easier to get flightplans into the FMS. Especially more complex plans with many waypoints are a real challenge to one's patience when typing them in to FMS directly. The program is a hobby project and so for sure it is not perfect. FPRConverter currently accepts input from Aerosoft's Flightsim Commander (I use version 9.6) XML output or just text input as waypoint lists or routings as they are available from i.e. RouteFinder or similar.' end quote. Google FPRConverter.

Hope this helps

Kevin.

Hi Ray,

it's very difficult to say a certain number of progress (like "we are at 80%" or similar). Too many times in the past I thought that there are only a few months left until beta tests can start. And always there came up a problem which destroyed my plans. The only thing that I can say for now is that Alpha tests will start within the next few days. Alpha means that not yet all functions are implemented. Beta means, all function are implemented.

Sorry for not being more precisely.

Thank you very much for the update!  

Hi Ralph,

After 7 years (the first release of EFB version 1 took place in 2009) EFB version 2.0 is a completely new development and therefore you would have to purchase again. However, existing users will get a discount, of course. As of today it is not defined how much this discount will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Urs,

It's been sometime since we've spoken, and I admire your perseverance in working on V2 - especially with all going on in the FS community right now!

Given the length of the V2 project, I was wondering if it would be possible for a minor update for V1 customers.  One thing in particular is to add Call Signs for aircraft on VATSIM for aircraft on the ground, which from an operational perspective would be very helpful.  Also, maybe an increase to the available range at which other aircraft are visible.

Thanks for your consideration.

Hi Dave,

it really needs some perseverance to create such a tool like EFB v2, because one of the most time consuming tasks is to program all these little workarounds because we all want to use real world data (AIRAC cycles, NAT tracks, METARs, ...) but we are living in a virtual and simulated world which allows to press a 'pause-key', which allows to start a flight in the air etc. etc.  ...

Adding new features will only be done if it is really critical. But I will take a note for the to-do-list of v2.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

this is a rough overview of the current status of development for version 2.0:

- Supports FSX, FS9, P3D

- Interface to the simulators will be FSUIPC (no longer SimConnect)

- DataProvider (new name DataServer) is 98% finished

- DisplayUnit is 60 - 70% finished

- Beta tests has not yet started

- Still a lot of features to program and even more to test

- Entire documentation must be written

- Installer must be programmed

- Tutorial must be written, videos must be produced

From the today's point of view I doubt whether it will be released this year

Urs,

You posted the above message 3 years ago today. Three years! :shock:

Can we realistically expect v2 to be released this year?

Can you provide a progress report on how things are going please? I bought v1 in November 2013 and can recall delaying that decision as I thought v2 might soon arrive. Just as well I didn't really. :-(

Ray,

Of course EFB v2 might be a part of a grander plan. I know nothing officially. :-P

What like including a flight planner perhaps? I already have one of those in PFPX. Even if it were to include things new to v2 there should at least be an option to buy the basic package that emulates v1.

Apart from a few issues and the disappearing Ai problem there is very little wrong in v1. A full rewrite using a different source seems to have caused a huge headache. Is it worth it?

...Apart from a few issues and the disappearing Ai problem there is very little wrong in v1. A full rewrite using a different source seems to have caused a huge headache. Is it worth it?

I too worry about V2 because V1 is a really excellent program. There are a few improvements that I'd like but not enough to warrant a complete re-write. I just hope V2 is as bug-free as the current version.

I too worry about V2 because V1 is a really excellent program. There are a few improvements that I'd like but not enough to warrant a complete re-write. I just hope V2 is as bug-free as the current version.

Completely agree with you Ned. There would have to be significant improvements in v2 or a big discount for v1 owners to convince me to switch. I just don't understand the need for a complete rewrite. It suggests v1 is deeply flawed but that isn't how I see it.

First of all, thank you for the kind words about version 1.

I don't want to start a discussion about software architecture and technical requirements, but when development for EFB v1 was started, FSX was the one and only simulator for which it was worth to write add-ons. Therefore version 1 was developed only for one single simulator and many things are hardcoded and cannot be changed easily.

In the meantime the market situation has 'slightly' changed, and it became a requirement to make EFB open for other, newer simulators. The other drawback of EFB v1 is the 'SimConnect' interface, which causes the well known problems with the AI traffic. There were some more reasons too and therefore a completely new architecture was unavoidable. It's not that easy to just change a few lines of code, believe me.

Apart from all these technical requirements, the user interface must be improved. Selecting a procedure at an airport where one is not familiar with, can be a challenge because only after the entire selection process is done, one can see the result. Finding the 'new' look for the user interface was indeed a really time consuming part of the project.

All in all, it took much time to get to the current stage of version 2. I can really imagine and understand that it is a long time to wait for this new version, but I'm convinced that you will like it.

Urs,

Thanks for the background and the reasons why a rewrite was necessary. I understand you're now using FSUIPC instead of SimConnect which should make communication with the various flight simulation packages more straight forward. There must be an awful lot of code in v1 that requires amending or perhaps you don't work on it continuously.

I would have thought changing parts of the interface to make SID and STAR selection would be easier once you had version 1 out. Perhaps v2is radically different. Is this rewrite taking longer than v1 did?

I look forward to seeing the final product whenever that it. Hopefully not much longer but it is concerning when months go by with no news on progress. Perhaps that's something you can look at and maybe give us some news when certain milestones have been reached.

Hi Ray,

Perhaps v2 is radically different. Is this rewrite taking longer than v1 did?

Indeed, v2 is radically different. I think v2 took double the time of v1 until today, but a 1:1 comparison is not easy, there were a lot of different new things to develop.

I would really like to show some screenshots, but business life has taught me to not do so until the product is ready to release. I can let you know which features are not yet developed:

- Online features (VATSIM and IVAO)

- Flight plan exporters

- Checklists

- Library

- Some dialogs (e.g. Airport info)

- Manuals and Videos

Currently I'm working on the depiction of the procedures and the profile view. I guess that 90% of this task is done.