Some Canadian Approaches not available in EFB??

I have been flying around western Canada lately and found several airports with no approach in EFB, however, when I go online I find ILS and other approaches for these airports.

For example, CYXJ ILS 29 , CYZT ILS 11, CYZP ILS 12, CYQU ILS 30 were found in VATSIM approach plates and also on fltpln.com. I have the latest Navigraph data loaded.

Is there something about EFB data and smaller Canadian airports that cause this? Any way to get these into EFB?

Thanks

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

a quick look into the folder where the Navigraph data files are located shows that these airports are not available through Navigraph FMS data. I just compared with Aerosoft NavDataPro and I can see that there the airports CYXJ, CYZP, CYZT, CYQU are available.

Thanks for that Urs. I might have to consider changing over to Aerosoft NavDataPro for my next cycle. Does this mean the Aerosoft product has a bigger coverage area than Navigraph or do they just cover different areas? I am new to all this (this month was my first venture into getting updates from Navigraph and it just happened to be the only one I heard about at the time).

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I must correct myself :oops: I just had a look at the latest cycle from Navigraph and it seems that they have more or less the same coverage now (most probably since 1301). This morning I had a look at the 1213/Rev. 2 cycle which has only half of the airports than 1301 and 1213/Rev. 1. In other words, no need to change if you are happy with them.

Urs,

I just completed the update to new Navigraph cycle 1301 and still can't find any approaches for those airports. I then searched the wpnavaid.txt list that is in the AivlaSoft NavData folder and none of them are there either.

Not sure what this means except I just can't get EFB to show me those ILS approaches that the scenery seems to show is there (just no intersections or altitude restrictions, etc) and both Skyvector and fltplan.com shows exist.

I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,

If you look in your FSX folder for the \AivlaSoft\SIDSTARS folder, inside of that folder you should see .txt files for each ICAO code that has SIDs or STARs or Approaches. Look there to check what's available for any airport you're having questions about.

I use the Aerosoft NavData service (since Urs has Navigraph, I felt that I should "go the other way" so we would have a glimpse into both providers :) ).

For CYZT I have approach data for VORD 25, ILS 11, LOC 11, RNAV 11, and RNAV 29.

For CYXJ I have ILS 29, LOC 29, NDB 29, RNAV 02 20 and 29, and VOR 11.

For CYZP I have VORD 12 and 30, ILS 12, and LOC 12.

For CYQU I have LOC 30 (and backcourse 12), ILS 30, NDB 30, VORD 25, and VOR 07.

Thanks for pointing me to that SIDSTARS folder Travis. I checked an none of those airports are listed on my system. So I guess if I want to be able to use those approaches I will have to use Aerosoft NavData.

I sure do appreciate you both helping me understand how this works. I did not realize Navigraph did not cover the entire North America; now I know.

Jerry

Jerry,

It would not hurt to ask Navigraph if they would consider including certain airports in their coverage. I would not know if they would have to include such for all packages - not only the AivlaSoft dataset - nor if that would affect their decision.

Regards,

Jerry,

I crosschecked both navigation data providers and I can say that both Aerosoft and Navigraph provide more or less the same approaches for these 4 smaller airports in Canada (see Travis' post above). I guess that the upgrade to the latest cycle from Navigraph (which you mentioned) was not successful on your computer.